Cleaning COPPER resin/residue from copper

TheCoilist

Elite Member
I had stripped some copper wire the other day and there was some nasty red gel like glue or resin on the wire. Anyone know how to clean this stuff off? I don't know if mineral spirits will be strong enough? I don't want to damage the copper.

I had stripped some copper wire the other day and there was some nasty red gel like glue or resin on the wire. Anyone know how to clean this stuff off? I don't know if mineral spirits will be strong enough? I don't want to damage the copper.

What I've done in the past is put copper wire in a fire and them scrap of the remaining charred junk with a knife.

yeah I was trying to avoid any burning. It's too suspicious and toxic. I have the wire stripped already, it's just the nasty glue and epoxy that is on some of the wires that is causing the problems. I could discard that wire, but it's a good chunk.

By the way DON'T BURN YOUR COPPER if you are going to sell it, at least here in Alabama and I'm sure it is the same everywhere else, it is now illegal for the scrap metal places to take burnt copper any more, and unless you can prove where they came from they can't take air conditioner coils either. These laws went into effect around the 1st of September. If you have any doubts about it just call your local recycling place and ask.

Not down with burning anything. Just looking for a heavy duty solvent. Maybe paint stripper?

Back
Top Bottom