• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Scamper #3 Random Cr*d and 35 Cents.

SageGrouse

Elite Member
Some days you're the windshield... some days you're the bug! It all started with a chilly wind threatening to cancel my Scamper before it even began. MAN it's cold when it's cold! Just about froze my noogies off... and as you well know, after about 50 years of age, noogies no longer re-grow! I decided to swing *anyway*.

Well, my well gridded area, where the silver beads were lost, produced nothing... unless you count bobby pins! Swing - BEEP! Dig! Bobby pin! BEEP! Dig! Bobby pin! BEEP! Dig! Bobby pin! I got FIFTEEN of the little suckers! Big ones, little ones, bent out of shape ones, rusted ones, shiny ones... finally after digging my eleventh bobby pin, I snarled at the Cosmos "The NEXT #$@~!! beep had better NOT be a @#$!! BOBBY PIN!
Swing... BEEP! Dig... SAFETY PIN!
Why me, Lord? Why always me? "One... more... ugly... bobby pin... OR safety pin... and I'm gunna LOSE IT!"

Swing... BEEP!... another bobby pin! But THIS one was all crusted over and caked with gloonk. I flaked away some of the gloonk to discover... a bobby pin with a rhinestone flower attached. OK, so it WASN'T ugly! The Cosmos snickered.

That was about it... except for six pencil bands, a broken ring from a key ring, and 35 cents. Two nickels, two dines, five pennies.
By this time the wind was getting pretty frickin COLD, and I was shivering. "New Mexico... where the skies are wide open, the wind is icy and the food tries to HURT you..." I muttered to myself. "ONE more swing before I expire of hypothermia, and it had better be good!"
I surveyed the totlot with an eagle eye. H'mmm. Best place to dig... Ah! There! Behind the swings! People lose tons of stuff THERE!

I trudged energetically... well... doggedly... Okay, whatever, I managed to get over there. I looked around, decided that THIS swing... right HERE... had the deepest groove worn in the ground. It was obviously the most popular. I thought of the little gold ring I had found a week ago. I thought of the silver beads. Visions of more silver... maybe an earring! Possibly even a sterling silver ring? Maybe part of that necklace that had flown apart... Whatever it was... I was ready, I was eager, I was swinging!

At first, nothing... then... then a sweet tone, loud, clear, maybe a little bit scratchy, but that was OK. The gold ring last week was a little scratchy. I swing, and got that same sweet tone. The good land was reaching up, offering sweet treasure, laid upon her earthen breast. All I had to do was get it! Carefully I crossed the area with my coil. This direction. That direction. Yes, I had it pinned!

I sat down. I took my pin-pointer out and waved it across the suspect area. Yes! Again that sweet strong purring pulse TRRRRR! HERE! I dug carefully, so as not to nick or scratch my treasure. Then... *click* my probe found it. Fingers reached, curled, I poised for a moment to watch two crows playing in mid-air on the wind. An omen! Surely! Their AirCrowBatics were charming, but my probe had clicked on a find! I returned to the business at hand.

It was another bobby pin.
Some days you're the windshield... some days you're the bug.

Sage(Well, I made 35 cents!)Grouse

Last edited:
Girl that was my favorite read of the morning :yes:

Reminded me of a joke I heard 20 or so years ago, when Lorena Bobbitt threw "something" out the window and it hit the elderly couples windshield traveling behind her.. Husband says "OMG did you see the size of the .. " on that bug:lol:

And then there are the days you are the remains of the bug against the windshield. We all have had those days. Congrats on getting out, getting home with some booty and sharing the experience. Trapper

Back
Top Bottom