Final answer...

I'm going to give the pro at least another year before I decide to upgrade. I keep thinking I'm missing out not having the newest, bestest machine, but I'm pretty much a clad stabbing park roamer hoping for some jewelry as a by-catch and it's hard to justify that kind of money to find pennies.
Nickles were the last coin that I could call with confidence and that's a recent thing. The last few hunts I have surprised myself with an increase in called nickles. The called ones were flat and shallow and I think that helped.

The AT PRO has better ID numbers and hunts in iron better for me than the Equinox 800.

As far as the Equinox being the best for nickels, I'm not sure because the CZ3 D tuned by Tom Dankowski does not hit on the small pieces of beaver tail pulltabs the Equinox hits on.

at pro id numbers yes I agree(one of my few complaints with the nox is I wish we had a wider id range), at pro hunts in iron better, not a chance even when hell freezes over. Gotta get you playing with those iron bias and recovery speed settings.

The AT PRO has better ID numbers and hunts in iron better for me than the Equinox 800.

As far as the Equinox being the best for nickels, I'm not sure because the CZ3 D tuned by Tom Dankowski does not hit on the small pieces of beaver tail pulltabs the Equinox hits on.

I've been hunting a permission with thousands of old style beaver tail pull tabs. Plenty of detached beaver tails. Yes, the Nox does sometimes hit on a detached beavertail just like a nickel. Not always, though. I'm assuming it depends of the orientation of the tail. I've found them in the ground near a target and wasn't getting the nickel signal. Complete beaver tab style pull tabs usually ring up a bit higher/larger than nickels.

I can't speak to the CZ3, but the ATPro will hit those detached beaver tails higher than a nickel, which would be fine except sometimes they hit in the penny range.

Last edited:
I use the AT Pro exclusively, and I've noticed with pull tabs and nickels the following...

Deeper nickels ring up in the 49-52 range. I've dug V Nickels and Buffaloes in that range. A surface Jefferson is usually a steady 53. The Beavertail part of a pull tab can be in that same general range, but a complete pull tab usually rings up in the high 50's to low 60's, so unless looking for gold, I usually pass up on those signals.

While the AT Pro is no slouch at finding nickels, I hunt with a couple of friends who use the Nox 600 and Nox 800 and they really slay the nickels with those machines.

If you never hunt a single spot more than once or twice there is no need to fret about your detector in my opinion. That is as long as the detector you use is a capable detector. The AT Pro and Equinox are very capable detectors. So are lots of others.

If on the other hand you don't get many permissions or only hunt public spots you hunt a place until it's cleaned out as best as you can. By the way that's kind of how I hunt. Not many permissions and public places and I hit them until I can't find anything else. I am up to three detectors now with another one on the way.

Some one told me the other day a guy that has one detector and knows it inside and out and gets the coil over targets will find lots of stuff. I believe that is a true statement. I also believe if you are serious about detecting you need many options. You might like running let's say an AT Pro the best, but if you go over a spot in multiple directions multiple times and clean it out or find nothing is there any good targets left? You will never know unless you hit it with a different type detector. I have a Etrac for yards and cleaner parks. Some places in my opinion are to trashy for an Etrac. I use a Nox in those places. If I knew a guy had wore out a place with a Nox then a Nox is not going to be my first choice if I was going to hunt it. I think a person limits his finds by owning only one type of detector.

So I have the following. Equinox, Etrac, Nokta Impact, and soon a Tesoro Mojave. I would say each of these detectors are unique, and each could find something the other three might not alert you to dig. You could exchange different brands or types detectors in that group. The main thing is no two are exactly the same technology. For me that is the final answer.

Regardless of what detector you swing, you will only succeed as well as you learn your detector.:yes:THE Final answer!

Oh Yea, Well my 1987 Radio Shack Micronta 3006 makes all your ATP`s, Equinoxes and Whites V3i`s look like toys. I dug a pull tab at almost 2 inches the other day. :laughing:

Well,I don't know what a 3006 is,but if it is anything like the Micronta 4003 my father was given a while ago,it makes my Fisher f-22 look like an E-Trac in comparison.;)

If you never hunt a single spot more than once or twice there is no need to fret about your detector in my opinion. That is as long as the detector you use is a capable detector. The AT Pro and Equinox are very capable detectors. So are lots of others.

If on the other hand you don't get many permissions or only hunt public spots you hunt a place until it's cleaned out as best as you can. By the way that's kind of how I hunt. Not many permissions and public places and I hit them until I can't find anything else. I am up to three detectors now with another one on the way.

Some one told me the other day a guy that has one detector and knows it inside and out and gets the coil over targets will find lots of stuff. I believe that is a true statement. I also believe if you are serious about detecting you need many options. You might like running let's say an AT Pro the best, but if you go over a spot in multiple directions multiple times and clean it out or find nothing is there any good targets left? You will never know unless you hit it with a different type detector. I have a Etrac for yards and cleaner parks. Some places in my opinion are to trashy for an Etrac. I use a Nox in those places. If I knew a guy had wore out a place with a Nox then a Nox is not going to be my first choice if I was going to hunt it. I think a person limits his finds by owning only one type of detector.

So I have the following. Equinox, Etrac, Nokta Impact, and soon a Tesoro Mojave. I would say each of these detectors are unique, and each could find something the other three might not alert you to dig. You could exchange different brands or types detectors in that group. The main thing is no two are exactly the same technology. For me that is the final answer.
This is a great post. I agree completely. I have the Nox 800, CTX, and Anfibio multi currently and I pound areas with all 3 machines to squeeze out all the good targets. I would not feel comfortable hitting an area with just one machine if I have the chance to go back to that area.

I will say that out of all the machines I have owned including etrac, atpro, and these 3 machines if I only have one shot at an area and have to pick one machine to hunt that area with I will go with equinox 99% of the time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tesoro mojave is a wise choice.i have one, and use it exclusively for "curb strips"
i have taken the time to learn it's audio, and it works for me! i am confident i can take it anywhere and find stuff.it uses 7" coil, and will get down around 7-8 " on a coin.if you use it in a junked out park, you can set discrimination for "all coins" and still get down around 7" or so.point is, don't feel that i have to buy the latest and greatest in order to hunt successfully anywhere! been at it for over 34 years, and love single tone analog detectors.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Back
Top Bottom