Coil Ear Repair

I forgot to line up the inner parts with the hole so I had to move the hole to the side. I should have enough room so it won't be a problem. I also have to sand the inside a little because it is too small to fit my detector rod. I hope to have my detector up and running again soon so that i can use it when this rain finally stops.

This is what I have so far. I am going to round off the front and remove some of the sides at the back. I may paint it black to cover up some of the mess. My biggest problem so far was getting the cans of primer and glue open. I thought the primer can was going to collapse and spill it all over my carpet.
Coil 3.jpg

This is what I have so far. I am going to round off the front and remove some of the sides at the back. I may paint it black to cover up some of the mess. My biggest problem so far was getting the cans of primer and glue open. I thought the primer can was going to collapse and spill it all over my carpet.
View attachment 441945

I use channel locks to open the cans.

Here is my finished repair. If I had to do it again I would either leave out the side panels or place them on the outside. My Garrett shaft is too wide for them on the inside. I had to sand them down to fit. You need to measure the width first. Otherwise it seems to be sturdy. I will have to try it out and see if it will hold. My original fix with JB Weld didn't work.
Coil 3.JPG

I took it out yesterday to see how it is going to work. I tried it in some tall grass that the open coils seem to hang up on. So far it seems to work fine.

Here is my fix to my broken ears on my metal detector coil. It is not elegant but it is by far the strongest repair that I have come up with. Previously, I tried to fix the broken ear with plastic washers. This fix lasted 3 or 4 hunts. The second repair was the Broken Ear Repair kit sold on the forums and the Flea. This fix was only OK since the coil wobbled a little.
The main component is a 1/2 conduit T box found in the electrical department at Home Depot. Cost was less then $3.
I cut off the connecting joints with a hacksaw and a Dremel. I then cut he top piece into two. The two top pieces are then PVC glues to the inside opening to support the outside walls and to close off one of the connecting openings. I then drilled holes so the bolt can go thru it.
For the coil, I dremelled the broken ear and the good ear. I sanded the location where I was going to glue the conduit box. I then glued and clamped the device to the coil.
It is steadier then the original ears.
Nice job! :woot:
Here is my finished repair. If I had to do it again I would either leave out the side panels or place them on the outside. My Garrett shaft is too wide for them on the inside. I had to sand them down to fit. You need to measure the width first. Otherwise it seems to be sturdy. I will have to try it out and see if it will hold. My original fix with JB Weld didn't work.
I took it out yesterday to see how it is going to work. I tried it in some tall grass that the open coils seem to hang up on. So far it seems to work fine.
:woot: Glad you got your coil ears repaired! :D

My detector is a Whites Surf Dual Field. It's been in the water at least a half dozen times with a lot of resistance and it is sturdier than new.

I took my newly repaired 2500 out again for a hunt when I noticed the coil seemed loose. I thought that my repair job had failed again but it turned out the coil bolt had broken. I have some extras but they are all too short. The Garrett shaft is wider than the others I have. Now I have to find a replacement for it. I will try one from a toilet seat if it is long enough.

Last edited:
I took my newly repaired 2500 out again for a hunt when I noticed the coil seemed loose. I thought that my repair job had failed again but it turned out the coil bolt had broken. I have some extras but they are all too short. The Garrett shaft is wider than the others I have. Now I have to find a replacement for it. i will try one from a toilet seat if it is long enough.

I also used a toilet seat bolt on an older machine and it worked fine.

Back
Top Bottom