Coin hunting and frequencys

2108silver1

So I heard that higher frequency detectors find small coins better
. then I had another person tell me rhe opposite. Any thoughts

What are looking for to achieve ? Do you want accurate TID at depth ?

Or do you want see-through separation ability ?

Don't say "all of the above". Because no such beast exists.

So I heard that higher frequency detectors find small coins better
. then I had another person tell me rhe opposite. Any thoughts

Lower frequencies are better suited for finding very conductive targets, which most coins are. They also tend to run quieter as the ground mineralization is less reactive to lower frequencies (in general).

Having said that, there are many other variables to consider, for example, coil diameter.

Lower frequencies are better suited for finding very conductive targets, which most coins are. They also tend to run quieter as the ground mineralization is less reactive to lower frequencies (in general).

Having said that, there are many other variables to consider, for example, coil diameter.

Yup lower frequencies for smaller higher conductors at major depth . (Silver or copper brass)
Higher frequency for major depth on smaller lower (but high value targets )
nickels gold etc.

Getting a few extra inches is an advantage But in coin shooting where there may be more discrimination used the lower frequency seems to offer better and more consistent results with target ID or separation and depth .
The bigger the coil the more depth on clean ground .

Gold nugget shooters generally use machines specifically designed for that application. Often clean ground but depth on small conductive targets is number one priority. Monster coils and higher frequencys

When it comes to coins , target separation from other less desirable targets is half of the battle .
Location these days is the number one priority for success.
40 years of very savvy hunters who have come before us has forced us to be very creative as well as the patience to pick off the few that they have missed .
Happy hunting
,Dew

Thanks dew

Yes that's my dilemma. I recently bought a t2. Awesome machine but I really am trying as you said find what 40 years of hunting by others was missed. I am only after coins. Trying to find the machine that will be beat for coins. So maybe look I my for a lower frequency machine may help. Coil effects frequency also right so myt2 runs at 14 kHz I guess. Add a smaller coil. To lower frequncy

Yes that's my dilemma. I recently bought a t2. Awesome machine but I really am trying as you said find what 40 years of hunting by others was missed. I am only after coins. Trying to find the machine that will be beat for coins. So maybe look I my for a lower frequency machine may help.

If your machine finds clad it will find the older stuff.
I love Minelab for coins and multi frequency. The truth is you must hunt with where others haven't . Or soft threw trashy old spots better and slower then others have bothered to do. Any old dirt under construction. Property permissions. Get in the woods around any old area of activity . Curb strips .
Open ball field or playing field area with pre 65 age with less targets and less activity was often overlooked because of the few targets. Lots of ground to cover but old saves are often easy to pick off when you get over one .
Again . 40 years of very good hunters have done there reasearch before us .
Many were kids in the old days and have talked to grampa to find old picnic grounds and such .
For some reason we think with technology we have an advantage. We do not expect that the older generation would go after this hobbie with the same vigor.

We are wrong . The old timers saw and lived threw times that showed the real value of silver and gold and copper. They went after it and would save any of it they came across in every day life . They hunted it hard and smart . We are getting the scraps missed and off the beaten path.
That's it .
Get off the beaten path if you want to find the goods . And in trashy old spots dig anything you think is a coin signal . Trashy old spots in an old festival grounds will have so many nails and little 22 shells and crud it will make your head explode. Anything that is repeatable even close to a zink penny range on your vdi has a high possibility of being silver when there is 10 pieces of odd metals under and around your coil at the same time .
Best of luck .
pS . Here is a photo of almost my 5 years hunting and over 400 reasons to think outside the box on hunted out ground . 99% public hunting grounds
I do not live out east with the crazy old stuff . I'm in small town Wisconsin.
It's out there . But not easy pm me anytime .
Dew
đź‘Ť

Attachments

• IMG_1906.jpg
    IMG_1906.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
Yes that's my dilemma. I recently bought a t2. Awesome machine but I really am trying as you said find what 40 years of hunting by others was missed. I am only after coins. Trying to find the machine that will be beat for coins. So maybe look I my for a lower frequency machine may help. Coil effects frequency also right so myt2 runs at 14 kHz I guess. Add a smaller coil. To lower frequncy

I don't know the specifics of the T2, but coils in different sizes are usually available for different frequency machines.

The reason I mentioned coil size (diameter) earlier is that there is a tradeoff between how deep the transmit signal goes into the ground, against the coil's sensitivity to small targets. For VLF machines, coils with a diameter of ~18" are about the limit. Coils much larger that 18" start to dramatically lose sensitivity to small (e.g. coin size) targets, even though their transmit field goes down deeper, thus they are better suited for large targets. Another size related issue is, of course, target separation.

Why are large coils not too sensitive to small targets? This has to do with the distance between the target and the receive coil. The larger the coil, the farther away from the target is the receive coil. Why is that important? Well, assume that the target radiates a field, in response to the Eddie currents from the transmit coil, equally in all directions (e.g. target is a small sphere). As the target field moves out in all directions, it weakens in a manner inversely proportional to the cube of the distance traveled, until it reaches the receive coil. The farther the receive coil, the weaker the field will be. At some point, the distance from the small target to the receive coil is so large, that it can't be detected.

Let's do it brother đź‘Ť

I’m still nursing a kicked ass from last weekend. Gotta do this,should be doing that...no ambition to do any of it. Complete,total,exquisitely unadulterated BURNOUT. Too many needy hands from all directions...Kevin,my grass needs mowing...Dad,my car is loud and the tire is losing air and it needs an oil change and the power outlet doesn’t work....Kevin,the AC doesn’t work...Dad,I have a band thing today at noon...Dad,I’m hungry....
I’ve done well hunting,but until I figure out the “next step”...it’s resting.

Your over thinking this . if your going to upgrade to a proven coin slayer buy an Etrac or an EQUINOX or CTX3030. Or used version . The SE pro is a killer also.
Just all proven and durable with great resale .
This will get you the best depth and discrimination and target separation in the game .
Until then , dance with the girl who brung ya . Take a look at some parks and wooded areas with trails . Pull up historic aerials and hit the veiwer screan to look at old aerial photos . Often the trees were just planted back in the 50s and are small. Often they were not even wooded but now are .
Get in there in the brush and scrounge around . Stuff will be crazy shallow .
Get over to your. Aunts older home and hunt under the old wash line . 40.s and 50s built homes can be loaded .
You won't need the depth .
I'm guessing you can still get 6 to 8 inches on a clad dime .
Remember that silver is the most conductive metal and will hit if you get over it better than anything other then a squashed can lol.
Also along side any newer parking lots or paths that were made over old dirt . Walk the edges as old coins were pushed to the side making room for fresh parking or a path .
Also old natural baseball fields were often left alon out of respect. They didn't have pinpointers and cutting a plug apart to find the coin was a bad move .
Historic aerials click on the veiwer tab and find the old sand lots and ball fields
Flat open field areas around national guard stations and army reserve posts may look like nothing much now but we're full of guys with card money in there pockets working on equipment training and throwing a ball around post WW2 .
Might look like a brand new park or open space now but can hold the mother load.
Again Location ..... if your T2 gets over it trust your abuility . It will scream dig me . If there is nothing under it you can't find it.
,Dew

Last edited:

try a f-44 fisher!..7.8 kHz and a "sleeper" outrageously quick separation
great frequency for coins using the 7" concentric..will get down around 7" plenty deep enough in the junk!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Higher frequencies and their ability to see smaller targets will help you find coins on edge.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Your over thinking this . if your going to upgrade to a proven coin slayer buy an Etrac or an EQUINOX or CTX3030. Or used version . The SE pro is a killer also.
Just all proven and durable with great resale .
This will get you the best depth and discrimination and target separation in the game .
Until then , dance with the girl who brung ya . Take a look at some parks and wooded areas with trails . Pull up historic aerials and hit the veiwer screan to look at old aerial photos . Often the trees were just planted back in the 50s and are small. Often they were not even wooded but now are .
Get in there in the brush and scrounge around . Stuff will be crazy shallow .
Get over to your. Aunts older home and hunt under the old wash line . 40.s and 50s built homes can be loaded .
You won't need the depth .
I'm guessing you can still get 6 to 8 inches on a clad dime .
Remember that silver is the most conductive metal and will hit if you get over it better than anything other then a squashed can lol.
Also along side any newer parking lots or paths that were made over old dirt . Walk the edges as old coins were pushed to the side making room for fresh parking or a path .
Also old natural baseball fields were often left alon out of respect. They didn't have pinpointers and cutting a plug apart to find the coin was a bad move .
Historic aerials click on the veiwer tab and find the old sand lots and ball fields
Flat open field areas around national guard stations and army reserve posts may look like nothing much now but we're full of guys with card money in there pockets working on equipment training and throwing a ball around post WW2 .
Might look like a brand new park or open space now but can hold the mother load.
Again Location ..... if your T2 gets over it trust your abuility . It will scream dig me . If there is nothing under it you can't find it.
,Dew

Good advice from Dew.

The T2 is a perfectly capable machine. You just need to get your coil over some fertile ground.

If you are looking for coins others have missed I think you need a multi frequency machine like an Etrac or CTX.

Back
Top Bottom