Gold tips, thoughts.

Robm1093

So today I dug 31 clad coins,one old silver ring and a bunch of pull tabs and caps. The clad dated back to 1965 with one penny 1933. My thoughts after the hunt I wasted time digging 31 holes for clad and the time would have bin Beter spent digging pull tabs. I would have had 31 moor changes of hiting gold. I'm starting to feal like gold or nothing at the beach, what do you think?

From my limited experience, rings can come up as any number between 47 to 90. The highest target ID for a gold ring that I've found was 62 (AT Max), for a 14k honker. Found several at 47. Only gold one that I've found that I thought was a pulltab before digging was a 14k 9 gram men's nugget ring. The other 5 gold rings that I've found came in somewhere between those. I've never found any gold pendants or charms, so I have no idea what they "look" like. Found a lot of silver bracelets, necklaces, charms, and pendants, though. Those are easy high numbers and anybody would dig those. Like GroundSweeper said, you really have to dig everything above some lower threshold to find the gold...which means that you will be digging lots of trash. But it's worth it when you find those rings!

At pro here...highest number gold ring for me was 70,71
Most I find are nickel like 53
Some lower in foil range
One platinum in foil range (friends ring)
10 k and 14k kids bracelets in foil range.
Hope this helps.

gold range, experiences

Whites MX7 here. I am more of a event hunter than a jewelry hunter, and here is some finds for example; 14k 1.8grams 04 gold, 18k 2.8grams 04 gold, 14k 8.6grams 42 misc, 14k (Pendant) 2.1grams foil, 14k gold and 925 silver (Pendant) 4.4grams copper penny, and 14k (chain and pendant) 00 gold. My experience is as a whole, inland gold jewelry found is smaller than the ocean beach jewelry that have seen others find.

Last edited:
Think of the clad in terms of silver coins. If you convert all of your clad to silver every 1.20 is a mercury dime. Save it all and turn it in for a gold coin.
All of my gold has been a copper penny or less on the vdi.

The absolute hardest gold to find is Dirt gold...in any repeatable pattern that is...It seems the consensus to success for repeatably finding gold is keying in on specific locations...and then digging it all in those specific areas...Like the BeachBabies do....

Lotsa pulltabs and foil and half rotten zincs and chain link fence wires and whatnot..totlotting eraser ends and gum wrappers and zippers and stainless steel washers and garbage...Seems the key is to hit the 'Gold losing' zones with a bit of awareness when you find them and think about finding gold amidst the junk signals, where it unfortunately hides......

Gold is a cruel Mistress...She is no respector of effort or intelligence either...You can just as easily find Her at a garage sale in a junk jewelry bin or eyeballing a parking lot...

This Forum is cool to try to pattern the prolific and steady Gold finders..then you can try to pattern their methods, gear and thought processes in your AO..but even that aint a guarantee, but at least its a start......

ATP- I've found gold from 38-74...

From the end of iron, through the start of silver..

I've found silver from 45-98, chain to silver dollar..

<°)))>{

Gold...Its so unexpected yet succulent when found....Like a pulltab or a nickel or a bit of foil or a wire, or a zipper pull or about any old crapola....Damn the dirt gold! Its amazing and unexpected!

Like the one gay frog said to the other..."By Gosh! The Humans are right! We do taste like Chicken!"

Well thats gold...best to avoid it altogether and just slam some easy clad...

I rue the day when I dig up a solid 38 on the AT Max and it is something gold. I'll be digging 90% trash after that day. Because I do dig those random solids, and have never found anything worth keeping less than 47. Lawd hepp me!

I rue the day when I dig up a solid 38 on the AT Max and it is something gold. I'll be digging 90% trash after that day. Because I do dig those random solids, and have never found anything worth keeping less than 47. Lawd hepp me!

47 and less..

Little earrings, broken rings, unbroken white gold rings, open hoop earrings, white gold fancy cocktail rings. Platinum with ice..

Taken June 30, 2015, found since winter let go. Two months worth.. Tons of 47 and less in that picture..

Any equinox two months look like that yet? :D

<°)))>{

Attachments

• IMG_20160305_111444.jpg
    IMG_20160305_111444.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 538
47 and less..

Little earrings, broken rings, unbroken white gold rings, open hoop earrings, white gold fancy cocktail rings. Platinum with ice...

Whoa! Seriously? All of that beeped up <47? I have one 60-acre soccer complex near me that has given up 5 gold rings, about 20 sterling rings, and maybe 7 junk rings. Numerous other pieces of sterling. But I have never found a gold necklace or pendant.

I get "solid" beeps under 47 all of the time and, depending on how many targets I have had, I'll dig some of them. But I have never found a keeper lower than 47. Of course, I dig every 47 and above and 90% (95%? more?) of those targets are junk, too.

So you've really made me aware that in a target-rich environment like that soccer complex (that I have all to myself), I really need to dig it all. Within reason...say, solid beeps over 40 or so?

I've often wondered what small gold charms/pendants/chains "look" like on an AT Max, but I don't own any to test, so thanks for giving me some direction, Ice Scratcher!

Whoa! Seriously? All of that beeped up <47? I have one 60-acre soccer complex near me that has given up 5 gold rings, about 20 sterling rings, and maybe 7 junk rings. Numerous other pieces of sterling. But I have never found a gold necklace or pendant.

I get "solid" beeps under 47 all of the time and, depending on how many targets I have had, I'll dig some of them. But I have never found a keeper lower than 47. Of course, I dig every 47 and above and 90% (95%? more?) of those targets are junk, too.

So you've really made me aware that in a target-rich environment like that soccer complex (that I have all to myself), I really need to dig it all. Within reason...say, solid beeps over 40 or so?

I've often wondered what small gold charms/pendants/chains "look" like on an AT Max, but I don't own any to test, so thanks for giving me some direction, Ice Scratcher!

You're welcome, not everything in that picture came in below 47, that picture probably goes from 39 to 74, and all gold.. Everything under the grill was probably under 47 though...

<°)))>{

Gold in them thar parks!

Aye, Gold huntin ye olde (or new-e) parks.... tis a fine thing indeed!

I'm pretty much a Park Gold Hunter as not too many beaches nearby, lol.... as I really enjoy it.

Its work! lots of it. Lol.

The gold I have found, has come in anywhere from the low end of foil (small toe ring, clasp etc)... all the way up to about the Copper Penny range.... yep, 22K and fairly large.... I find gold content will cause the IDs to vary, as will size and depth (the higher the Karat for the size, the higher the ID)... hence, I pretty much dig it all.

With my Tesoros.. I set to MIN disc (yup, I know) and Max sensitivity as to not chatter... and go for it... never ceases to amaze me... I don't even play the DISC game with my Tesoros, unless I get bored... lol, then I'll do it just to see what the machine "thinks" is there, lol. But really... doesn't matter, I'm digging it. Fairly often I get pleasantly surprised with a chunk ol the yellow stuff...

With my ID machines, yep, even though they are ID machines... they don't dictate what I dig... for me its just "fun" to see what the machine thinks (yup, said it again)... but, I'm digging it anyways. Again, a lot of work, but its OK... I'm doing this mainly for fun and as a gold hunter (hey, thats fun for me)... I'm gonna dig it all.

As for signals, yeah, always love those nice round, repeatable, and "golf Ball" size signals... thinking.... Tab, Coin or Gold each time... and again, from time to time get that nice ring out of it.

But... there have been many times, where that signal did NOT say that to me... and instead, said, Hmmm, scratchy... elongated etc... and maybe not so repeatable... and for those, sometimes they can be nice gold bracelets, chains, open earrings, cut ring, different shaped pendant... etc...

I always find the non-perfect hits, interesting.

But again, lots and lots (have I said Lots?) of junk, foil, tabs, half tabs, can slaw, hairpins (from time to time lol)... sure, more often than not... but again, i don't mind... as long as gold finds are there as a reward from time, I'm good with it. Lol
Thats fun for me, everyone is different. Some folks think I'm nuts, its ok with me. the rewards have been there enough to keep my fun meter up and running, lol.

So yeah, for me, Disc is way low, or off... and I pretty much will dig it all.

on occasion, when tired... I'll disc out IRON, at the mid end, lol.

Ya'll have fun, and like many said, spend time with the machine and keep learning it... light bulbs will come on... but you still gotta dig it, lol. For me anyways. :D

Quick Side Note: When I first got into this hobby... I had been told, to set my Tesoro (first machine) disc at the "F" in Foil... and dig it all.... I did, and for 6 months... lots of silver jewelry etc... not any gold... I had thought the machine was perhaps not capable... lol... I then took a small thin gold band... in a plastic small baggy... and 5 inches in ground... then swung my normal way and settings... NADA! Was an eye opener for me... set my DISC to MIN, and tried again... BAM!
Henceforth... with my Tesoros... MIN. Thats it.

Started to find gold after that, coincidence? Maybe, Confidence was definitely up and maybe I was motivated to dig more... I dunno. Lol
Again, have fun!

Aye, Gold huntin ye olde (or new-e) parks.... tis a fine thing indeed!

I'm pretty much a Park Gold Hunter as not too many beaches nearby, lol.... as I really enjoy it.

Its work! lots of it. Lol.

The gold I have found, has come in anywhere from the low end of foil (small toe ring, clasp etc)... all the way up to about the Copper Penny range.... yep, 22K and fairly large.... I find gold content will cause the IDs to vary, as will size and depth (the higher the Karat for the size, the higher the ID)... hence, I pretty much dig it all.

With my Tesoros.. I set to MIN disc (yup, I know) and Max sensitivity as to not chatter... and go for it... never ceases to amaze me... I don't even play the DISC game with my Tesoros, unless I get bored... lol, then I'll do it just to see what the machine "thinks" is there, lol. But really... doesn't matter, I'm digging it. Fairly often I get pleasantly surprised with a chunk ol the yellow stuff...

With my ID machines, yep, even though they are ID machines... they don't dictate what I dig... for me its just "fun" to see what the machine thinks (yup, said it again)... but, I'm digging it anyways. Again, a lot of work, but its OK... I'm doing this mainly for fun and as a gold hunter (hey, thats fun for me)... I'm gonna dig it all.

As for signals, yeah, always love those nice round, repeatable, and "golf Ball" size signals... thinking.... Tab, Coin or Gold each time... and again, from time to time get that nice ring out of it.

But... there have been many times, where that signal did NOT say that to me... and instead, said, Hmmm, scratchy... elongated etc... and maybe not so repeatable... and for those, sometimes they can be nice gold bracelets, chains, open earrings, cut ring, different shaped pendant... etc...

I always find the non-perfect hits, interesting.

But again, lots and lots (have I said Lots?) of junk, foil, tabs, half tabs, can slaw, hairpins (from time to time lol)... sure, more often than not... but again, i don't mind... as long as gold finds are there as a reward from time, I'm good with it. Lol
Thats fun for me, everyone is different. Some folks think I'm nuts, its ok with me. the rewards have been there enough to keep my fun meter up and running, lol.

So yeah, for me, Disc is way low, or off... and I pretty much will dig it all.

on occasion, when tired... I'll disc out IRON, at the mid end, lol.

Ya'll have fun, and like many said, spend time with the machine and keep learning it... light bulbs will come on... but you still gotta dig it, lol. For me anyways. :D

Quick Side Note: When I first got into this hobby... I had been told, to set my Tesoro (first machine) disc at the "F" in Foil... and dig it all.... I did, and for 6 months... lots of silver jewelry etc... not any gold... I had thought the machine was perhaps not capable... lol... I then took a small thin gold band... in a plastic small baggy... and 5 inches in ground... then swung my normal way and settings... NADA! Was an eye opener for me... set my DISC to MIN, and tried again... BAM!
Henceforth... with my Tesoros... MIN. Thats it.

Started to find gold after that, coincidence? Maybe, Confidence was definitely up and maybe I was motivated to dig more... I dunno. Lol
Again, have fun!

Great post! :goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom