*NEW* Forum Member Map

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dropped a pin in NW Michigan. I get all over up here. Ghost towns, railroads, homesteads, logging camps, always looking for more.

Last edited:
Im in now. not one person anywhere close to where I am at in Spring, Texas. I see most hunters are on the east coast. That's where all the good stuff is anyway..

Yep, and he hasn't responded to my email from a week ago. I'll give it until this weekend, then I might just go ahead and start over...whole new map, because that'll be the only way I can control the overall settings.

No pressure, but is there a “new” map, or are we sticking with the one in the OP?

No pressure, but is there a “new” map, or are we sticking with the one in the OP?

Thanks for the nudge about this, Mike. The OP hasn't been active in almost a year and never responded to my emails, so I was never able to gain control of the original map. As many folks have seen, the map in its current state can be edited by virtually anyone. While it can be convenient for folks to add their info themselves, the problem became that we had someone who thought it was funny to add inappropriate points and info to the map. Then all of the data points were deleted by someone.

When I attempted to generate a new map last year, for some reason I was having trouble creating a map that was publicly accessible but only privately editable - so I essentially gave up. But thanks to your message, I decided to give it another shot tonight...and I got it figured out!

It'll take some time, but I'll be creating a new map from scratch. Since it's the "off" season for detecting, it'll give me something to do to keep cabin fever at bay! :lol:

Thanks Ben!

Ron, my plan is to gradually transfer existing points on the map into my new map, depopulating the current map as I go. Once complete, I'll let you know. I'm not sure how to "circulate" the new map, but to avoid confusion it might be best to create a brand new thread and make that one sticky rather than replace the existing links in the current thread. From there on, I'll be the sole point of contact - anyone that wants added to the map can either PM or post to the thread, and I'll get it done. Let me know what you think.

That sounds like a good idea. How about making a form for those wanting to be put on the map with the necessary info? It could be filled out and sent via email or pm.

I would definitely like to see a new sticky to avoid confusion.

Cliff

Ben,

I can Close/Lock this thread while you are working on the map if you want, and then when you are done it can be deleted.

Let me know.

Thanks for the nudge about this, Mike. The OP hasn't been active in almost a year and never responded to my emails, so I was never able to gain control of the original map. As many folks have seen, the map in its current state can be edited by virtually anyone. While it can be convenient for folks to add their info themselves, the problem became that we had someone who thought it was funny to add inappropriate points and info to the map. Then all of the data points were deleted by someone.

When I attempted to generate a new map last year, for some reason I was having trouble creating a map that was publicly accessible but only privately editable - so I essentially gave up. But thanks to your message, I decided to give it another shot tonight...and I got it figured out!

It'll take some time, but I'll be creating a new map from scratch. Since it's the "off" season for detecting, it'll give me something to do to keep cabin fever at bay! :lol:

Ron, my plan is to gradually transfer existing points on the map into my new map, depopulating the current map as I go. Once complete, I'll let you know. I'm not sure how to "circulate" the new map, but to avoid confusion it might be best to create a brand new thread and make that one sticky rather than replace the existing links in the current thread. From there on, I'll be the sole point of contact - anyone that wants added to the map can either PM or post to the thread, and I'll get it done. Let me know what you think.

I’m going to say a huge thanks for taking this on. I love the idea, just didn’t want to bother adding myself if it was still to be changed, or delectable/corruptible by anyone.

Big big thank you as it is a wonderful idea and I’m sure requiring lots of work.

Three cheers for AirmetTango!

I’m going to say a huge thanks for taking this on. I love the idea, just didn’t want to bother adding myself if it was still to be changed, or delectable/corruptible by anyone.

Big big thank you as it is a wonderful idea and I’m sure requiring lots of work.

Three cheers for AirmetTango!

Thanks Mike! And thank you for taking a moment to bring it back to my attention - I might never have gone back to try the map again if someone didn't take the time to ask about it.

Ok, that went a little quicker than I thought!

Here's a link to the thread with the revived map:

**Revived** Forum Member Map

I transferred all of the map points that I could connect to currently listed forum members - unfortunately, there were many pins with information that I couldn't correlate with a FMDF member, so those didn't get transferred. I still need to go through this thread and add pins for members who expressed a desire to be listed, but got erased when the old map got corrupted.

I'll see what Ron or any of the other moderators want to do - to avoid confusion, it might be best to close this thread and "de-stickify" it, then hopefully make the new map "sticky" instead?

*Edit: just saw Ron's post above about closing the thread...yes, let's do that

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom