AT Pro Newbies... Talk to me

Mama2Twins

Forum Supporter
For those of you who recently got an AT Pro or are getting one, can we post some questions or tricks here? I would find it very helpful to group us newbies up and learn together about this fabulous detector. Anyone just get their machine? Or waiting for one?

Last edited:
http://metaldetectingforum.com/group.php?groupid=128

You can start and get a little bit of info in the group and by asking questions to just those in the group. It is a good detector that is versatile. I have really learned to enjoy mine, and although I'm in process of upgrading I know I will still fall back on it from time to time.

Here's a few things I posted on another thread, just copied cause I hate to retype:D Hope it helps a little, just ask if you need something clarified.

I start in Pro mode, iron set to 38, Iron audio on(so you hear the iron grunt under the 38 setting) and nothing notched out. This will make alot of sounds but just dig mid + high tones. In pro mode the target response time is very fast compaired to the standard mode. Gold rings anywhere from 38vdi into the coin range. If you get a hit say showing a penny at 2 inches and when you pin point it shows 4 or 6 inches(or visa versa) then it is probably a can or large piece of trash. When you do locate a target, move the coil away from it before pushing the pin point button. Also do not keep the pin point button depressed for over about 10 seconds or it will start acting funny. Easiest way is to pin point one way and mark that spot, then turn 90 degress and pinpoint that line. You'll end up with an X. Dig the center. Hope this helps, good luck. Tom

Pin pointing, When you get the highest reading by going back and forth the target is in the center, somewhere in a line tip to tail of the coil(just under the main center piece). Now you can either slowly pull the coil towards you and when the target drops it is at the front of the coil. In Pro mode, you can use the method I use and just mark your verticle pin point and then turn 90 degree and mark that verticle spot. You end with a X and just dig in the center. Using this method I don't even use the pin point anymore, just use a small fast swing over the target and mentally mark it then turn 90 and do it again. With a little practice you will become very fast and accurate at it. for me, this method is more accurate than using the pin point as it was supposed to be used

That basically sums up the machine. I use the pin point and pull back method. Works well. Dig strong repeatable signals, and you will learn that some high tone garbled signals are good too. iron or aluminum around a coin will mess upo a signal. Learn to wiggle the coil and move around the signals. Sniper coil is great for playgrounds.

Joined at pro group. I thought us newbies could learn together and post our thoughts. But....we could also join the group for at pro.

I'm waiting for mine and wanted to group up us newbies together. Kind of track each others progress. I can't remember everyone that I have come across on the forum who has just got one or is waiting for theirs

Joined at pro group. I thought us newbies could learn together and post our thoughts. But....we could also join the group for at pro.

I'm waiting for mine and wanted to group up us newbies together. Kind of track each others progress. I can't remember everyone that I have come across on the forum who has just got one or is waiting for theirs

I just got mine yesterday and assembled it after work but cant put it on the ground till Saturday morning. I only have time for a short field test because i'm leaving town for the weekend to bring in the New Year with family. When is yours supposed to arrive?

Not sure

I just got mine yesterday and assembled it after work but cant put it on the ground till Saturday morning. I only have time for a short field test because i'm leaving town for the weekend to bring in the New Year with family. When is yours supposed to arrive?

It shipped yesterday so probably next week.
Is it what you expected as far as how it looks? I'm never seen one in person.

It shipped yesterday so probably next week.
Is it what you expected as far as how it looks? I'm never seen one in person.

I have been swinging an Ace 250 for over two years now and to me it looks huge. It just looks big and feels heavier. Overall though, it looks like a serious machine. The unit and all the stuff that came with it are all quality stuff. I'll know a little more in the morning when I get a chance to use it. IM TO EXCITED TO SLEEP!!!!!

Ok. So I went out for about 45 minutes this evening. I only have had two short hunts under my belt since I got it for Christmas. Found a few coins and a bunch of trash. I have had an issue with the ATPro that I can't figure out. Here is the deal: twice when I have turned the machine on it seems to be going haywire. The screen with the numbers and the beeping tones are going crazy. I was not around any steel equipment, power lines, or anything else that would cause this. I would turn the machine off and then back on and it would still do it whether the coil was pointed to the ground or the sky. Visually and audibly the detector seemed like what a super computer would do making a billion calculations per second. Both times to get it to stop this I would completely diconnect the coil wire from the MD and plug it back in. I am sure the plug ins were all connected well to begin with and am not confident that unplugging it and then re plugging it in actually solved the problem or if it was just a coincidence. Anyone else have their Pro go haywire for short bursts of time?

Ok. So I went out for about 45 minutes this evening. I only have had two short hunts under my belt since I got it for Christmas. Found a few coins and a bunch of trash. I have had an issue with the ATPro that I can't figure out. Here is the deal: twice when I have turned the machine on it seems to be going haywire. The screen with the numbers and the beeping tones are going crazy. I was not around any steel equipment, power lines, or anything else that would cause this. I would turn the machine off and then back on and it would still do it whether the coil was pointed to the ground or the sky. Visually and audibly the detector seemed like what a super computer would do making a billion calculations per second. Both times to get it to stop this I would completely diconnect the coil wire from the MD and plug it back in. I am sure the plug ins were all connected well to begin with and am not confident that unplugging it and then re plugging it in actually solved the problem or if it was just a coincidence. Anyone else have their Pro go haywire for short bursts of time?

maybe try doing a factory reset on it by holding the power button for several seconds until it beeps. alot of times this will correct it.

Make sure the battery housing is in correctly( book has diagram of it). Do a factory reset when ever the batteries are pulled out and put back. Make sure there is no wi fi, underground power, cable or phone lines around. Are you near a cell phone tower or do you have a smart phone in your pocket. Some of those can transmit wii fi signals. Use good quality alkaline batteries. Make sure all cables are tight and coil wire properly wrapped around shaft. Just some suggestions:D Also you say you pulled off the coil wire and put it back on, did you bend the small wire by accident.

Thanks for the replies. I did a reset a few minutes ago and it seemed to be OK. I will also go out "naked" (no Blackberry in pockets) to the park away from everything to see if all is good. Cable connections are not bent, batteries installed correctly, etc. Hopefully all will be good tomorrow. Thanks again.

Make sure your cable is secure. A loose cable creates these issues as well. Just in case any of you are considering a sniper coil... it's great, however I find more luck with the 5x8 DD coil. But for now I won't bother the 'newbies' with coil swaps.

Remember to use your IRON AUDIO. It will let you know if there is iron in the immediate area that youre signal is being disrupted by. It will make you bonkers trying to learn it all, but after about 12 good solid hours of digging junk you'll know when to dig and when not to dig.

Took mine out for about an hour with the smaller 5x8 DD coil in my extremely trashy yard (house was rebuilt), nails everywhere. Dug a nail and a wheatie in same hole 7 inches down. Picked up both on the VDI, but iron audio helped me know there was iron and a good signal around. do not go iron audio full time though.

Thanks for the replies. I did a reset a few minutes ago and it seemed to be OK. I will also go out "naked" (no Blackberry in pockets) to the park away from everything to see if all is good. Cable connections are not bent, batteries installed correctly, etc. Hopefully all will be good tomorrow. Thanks again.

Any news?

I have been swinging an Ace 250 for over two years now and to me it looks huge. It just looks big and feels heavier. Overall though, it looks like a serious machine. The unit and all the stuff that came with it are all quality stuff. I'll know a little more in the morning when I get a chance to use it. IM TO EXCITED TO SLEEP!!!!!

Heavy? I swing a Umax now and it's perfect. I'm 5'4" and 105lbs.. I hope I can handle this AT Pro. :?:

Any updates?

Back
Top Bottom