• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Does everyone always take the trash with them from digging up?

needler420

Elite Member
At first I was and had a few 5 gallon buckets prepared to separate the non precious metals. Upon researching though Iv found out its not worth my time and effort here in the south where they don't recycle.

The amount of trash Id have to carry is unrealistic. I would way myself down trying to take it all with me so Iv been just digging it up and leaving it to the side for for state sanitation crews to deal with. From my figures I got about 1,000 pounds of aluminum would get me $100 in my area. That's a unrealistic figure I can't even transport half the weight of a car. So Iv stopped taking the trash with me I can't be obligated to cleans others peoples trash for free. So i just fill my plugs as best as possible and move the trash to the side.

i just throw the trash it in a 3gal bucket in the trunk of my car and empty it when i remember or see a handy trash can. but i always remove what i dig from the site.

Do you throw it in a can or just leave it on the ground? :?:

I toss my trash in the nearest can.

Depends if a can is near by of course throw it in it. Where I hunt though the nearest trash cans are a 2 mile walk. The only option would be to take them home and dump it in my trash which still isn't possible. We get trash picked up once a week limit of 3 cans and we already get to the max every time. If its not in 1/3 cans allowed it won't get picked up without paying more money.

I also don't drive to hunting spots my car is broke down so I pretty much to mile long walks. I can't carry all this trash when I regularly walk a mile+ everyday. It literally weighs me down and slows me down. I get the fact of its nice to clean up and I tried that at first but all it feels like is I'm court ordered to do community service.

People come here who don't pay trash and dump stuff in the woods. Right next to my house someone dumped a whole couch and chair. It makes it look really bad and I would move the big pieces but I don't have a trailer or a truck.

+ I'm not one of you Northerners that dig up only 5 cans a day if that. I could fill a 5 gallon bucket a day here. People are the biggest litter bugs here.

If I find part of a can, I will stick it in my pouch.

If I find a whole can, back in the ground it goes.

They get full of dirt, and the recycling places won't take them.

If I tried to take every can I found, I would need a garbage bag to take with me.

Don't leave anything lying on the ground.

Scrap yards are the best place for aluminum, here its 60 cents a pound.

I'm confused, who digs more trash than they can carry to the nearest can in a day... and trust me I hunt some long hours. You must be talking about picking up every bottle, beer can, cigarette box etc, etc. No one expects you to clean up the park just not to dig up a piece of can slaw and leave it on top of the ground for a kid to cut themselves on.

Just take the stuff you dig :yes:

i do just so i'm not diggin it up again......unless its something real big like a car door or tire rim, then it can stay :lol:

If I find part of a can, I will stick it in my pouch.

If I find a whole can, back in the ground it goes.

They get full of dirt, and the recycling places won't take them.

If I tried to take every can I found, I would need a garbage bag to take with me.

Don't leave anything lying on the ground.

Scrap yards are the best place for aluminum, here its 60 cents a pound.

I always thought that putting it on top would at least let state come for it rather then leave it to decompose in 1,000 years.

And that's another problem to all the dirt that sticks in these cans. If i don't clean each can with precious time those dirt clumps turn in pounds of weight to carry in just an hour of hunting.

I'm in the SOUTH Just because the bottle or can says 5 cents trade in doesn't mean its for our state. That's for you Northerners.

Not only do I take all dug trash with me, I make a very good effort to take any surface trash with me (only if it is in my path), but when I know someone is watching me I will go out of my way a bit to pick trash up. I carry my hunting/ digging tools, finds, and trash in a bucket.

Common sense should dictate that leaving the trash in, or on, the ground means you are very likely to "detect and dig" that trash again, should you ever hunt that area another time.

I always thought that putting it on top would at least let state come for it rather then leave it to decompose in 1,000 years.

And that's another problem to all the dirt that sticks in these cans.

I'm in the SOUTH Just because the bottle or can says 5 cents trade in doesn't mean its for our state. That's for you Northerners.

The state does not pick up trash in the park. They have bigger fish to fry like scraping dead squirrels off the road.

Do you throw it in a can or just leave it on the ground? :?:

I toss my trash in the nearest can.

I have to ask the same thing.

Sounds to me like needler is breaking one of the rules of metal detecting.

I'm sorry, but just because I dig a crashed can that is full of dirt and now weighs 2 pounds doesn't mean I leave it for the groundskeepers to take care of.

I follow the Ethics listed in the sticky of this forum.

- Never leave litter. Pack out any and all trash or debris you create or find.

When someone leaves the trash or doesn't fill in his holes, it reflects on the Hobby in General. Some other MD'er, maybe from this Forum, will pay for that in lost privileges. As a relative newcomer to the hobby I try to learn from those that came before me. That's why I read, and pass out to everyone that I meet while I am hunting, a copy of those ethics. If I can't, or won't, abide by those ethics I will hang up my detector.

Just my Humble opinion

I follow the Ethics listed in the sticky of this forum.

- Never leave litter. Pack out any and all trash or debris you create or find.

When someone leaves the trash or doesn't fill in his holes, it reflects on the Hobby in General. Some other MD'er, maybe from this Forum, will pay for that in lost privileges. As a relative newcomer to the hobby I try to learn from those that came before me. That's why I read, and pass out to everyone that I meet while I am hunting, a copy of those ethics. If I can't, or won't, abide by those ethics I will hang up my detector.

Just my Humble opinion

Those are ethnics made from a random person detecting. They aren't state law. I already seen multiple people of this forum break those ethics.( including senior members.)

Here's one in particular where every ones motto is loose lips sinks ships. And then they say I would keep my mouth closed. And that's from senior members of the site. They think that one is ok to break as its also self beneficial.

Report the discovery of any items of possible significant historical value to a local historian or museum in accordance with the latest legislation of your area.

I always throw my garbage in a garbage can. And if there is not a garbage can I take it with me and throw it away at home.

I pick up what i can see , and throw it away. Some time's tot lot's are the worst, but trash cans are normaly close. Last week i picked up all the trash in one tot lot, while a school employee wached.

My basic rule of the thumb is- if it's sharp and reasonably sized, pick it up.
If it's got no sharp edges and is bigger than a beer can, it stays under.
If it's sharp, deep, and the size of a fender, it stays under. (don't laugh, I found one 3 years ago)
If it's smaller than a beer can, pick it up.
If it's ticking or has a counter on it, run quickly..:shock:
I may be skirting some of the rules here, but I believe that the point that started this thread was that you can't make a pig into a person, but a person
needs no help turning into a pig..

Back
Top Bottom