Stuff I keep learning in the mineralized trash and iron filled south....

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
I have to deal with some pretty strange dirt here in Birmingham in many areas, I have learned a ton about some weird target behavior that is nothing like what I saw, (and loved!), hunting out west in Kansas and Missouri.
I have found amazing amounts of shocking things because of the outside of the box thinking I have been forced to do regarding settings on my F70 and target behavior...especially on the deeper ones that act so illogical and I don't mean good soil deep but starting at just the 4-5" depth area around here.
Still, for all that I have found and as successful as I have been I don't believe you ever stop learning, experimenting, always trying to get better and gain knowledge.
I wrote this up for the members in my F70 social club where we have a few F70 and F75 owners, especially for Darktower007 who is new at all this and attempting to learn this biz and the F70 all at once and hunts in the SE. like me.
I will repost it here in case anyone uses a Fisher, a T2 or any new owners of the soon to be released Patriot and lives in an area like I do and has to deal with this strange devil dirt we are so blessed with.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Since I moved back here to Bama I have been trying any way I can to find the good stuff while still avoid digging most trash and especially the huge amount of iron I have here lots of which seems to want to act like high tone coins sometimes with lots of high numbers and tones.
Luckily most of that iron stuff drops down to iron here and there if not one way from another so I can usually tell.
Of course I can be fooled, it is possible I can get a decent signal on a coin and there could be iron right next to it or in the vicinity so situations like that can mimic iron target behavior...even using smaller sniper coils.
Such is my lot in life hunting here in my mineralized trash and iron filled world so I deal.
Still, after doing that set of vids in this thread...
http://metaldetectingforum.com/group.php?do=discuss&group=&discussionid=8696

... and looking again at that jumpy zincoln I dug even though it didn't really jump all that much I realized that even though I have been finding lots of great things doing it my way using all I have learned since I moved back here to deal with my difficult soil I have been a little too close minded, a bit too confident in the range of VDI's and target behavior I have been sticking too to ID the good targets especially a bit deeper in this devil dirt.
It seems this soil is even weirder than I thought, the range of jumping I have been sticking to, even though it is pretty wide and extremely wide compared to targets in better soil behavior, it is still not enough for this place.
Yesterday I went back to my scoured neighborhood park and on the way home swung over some curb strips in my neighborhood I have been over a bazillion times and tried some new things.
Normal settings, Sense adjusted between 50-70 depending on the chatter always trying to keep it quiet as possible, 1 Monotone, Thresh at -1 and disc at 1 using the big DD coil.
What was different is what I was looking for in the signals, how much they jumped and exactly where they jumped to and still listened for good solid tones with sharp ends.
I dug more trash and iron than usual trying this and found that all targets that dipped down to iron repeatedly, or at least repeatedly from at least one direction because in many from a specific direction they didn't at all once in awhile, those were always iron or a couple of pieces of iron so...yay.
On others I noticed the numbers stayed pretty high from 2 ways as usual but sometimes they would drop down lower than my usual range of 6-8 numbers or so I usually stayed in...on a couple of deeper ones at about 5" the section drop was also surprising.
A few were trash, can slaw mostly but there were a couple of good coin targets too.
The pic below is of one such target.
In a curb strip that I have hit so many times but missed this thing on every pass at 5" deep it jumped between the mid 80's to low 90's as usual but I also had several drops way lower into the 40's to 50's...behavior that in the past I usually walked on by.
I see now that was a mistake.
As I said this devil dirt is even stranger than I knew so I have been missing stuff.
No more, if I have to dig a bit more trash to find targets like this so be it...as steve in az once stated "I am out here to dig, not just swing".
The sniper coil might help in this area, maybe more normal behavior that I know with less jumping than using the big DD but I have hunted those curb strips many times using that coil and still missed several coins including that wheat.
It won't be much more trash digging, I can't stand doing that so I avoid all that I can but widening up the range of jumpy VDI numbers I dig won't hurt me all that much, more exercise for me and if it helps me find even more all worth it.
I wish I was still digging in great Kansas dirt...none of this stuff seemed to happen out there no matter how deep targets get but as the saying goes if wishes were horses we would all be riding ponies.
As always I continue to learn, experiment and try to get better at this hobby no matter what obstacles the universe tries to throw in my path.
Such is life living and hunting here in the deep south.

user10659_pic74832_1491739407_PerfectlyClear_zpswflncxz3.jpg

Thanks for the info, I also have seen this in Arkansas, I have been pleasantly suprised several times lately by doing the same thing. I am swinging the Deus, but the reaction to the soil and VDI seems to be very similar.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info, I also have seen this in Arkansas, I have been pleasantly suprised several times lately by doing the same thing. I am swinging the Deus, but the reaction to the soil and VDI seems to be very similar.

You are very welcome...anything I can do to pay it forward and help even one other hunter find great things is my pleasure.

I started here in Bama, dealt with this mess and even though I still found a lot and had fun looking for older coins at deeper depths in public sites was such a frustrating experience I soon changed into a dedicated jewelry and shallow clad hunter because that sort of target can be anywhere and not all that deep.
Still found a wheatie or two and some silver coins here and there, mostly by accident, but I was always grateful when that happened.
There used to be a lot of old coins here within reach but after 50 years of hunting the easy stuff is long gone in public places and only the severely hidden and masked stuff remains.
Many here never hunt public parks anymore, all their silver comes from private homes knocking on doors and I do that too but I prefer public parks to hunt in...still a dedicated jewelry hunter at my core.
Then I moved to Kansas...it was like going from hell to heaven...so different, so much deeper, so normal which up to that point I had never experienced.
Every hunt I thanked the MD gods for the opportunity and decided to try to learn to hunt for old silver and other coins too...much easier to do out there for sure.
I tried to explain to friends in my club there what conditions were like here and how thankful they should be, and warned friends that hunted here never to travel to areas with great soil and hunt because ignorance is bliss and most around here have no idea of how big of a depressing difference it actually is.
Not many have had the experience of hunting in such totally different environments as I have which can be both a blessing or a curse.

Then we decided to move back and I was depressed.
I was seriously planning on getting a PI but I hate digging tons of trash and I had an F70 that had massive power, some pretty good abilities and a great amount of settings to try so I experimented and little by little got deeper and deeper and learned a whole new language and target behavior to unmask the hidden targets hiding in sites scoured to death and pretty much dismissed at this point by most others.
And it worked...many shocking and bucket list coins are now in my collection culled from those same heavily scoured public sites.
I came to find out that at a level of about 5-6" and a little more up to at least 7-8" there is a ton of great targets here nobody suspected were there or had missed them for the last 50 years.
I realized we can get deeper here than the 4-5" area that most assumed we just couldn't penetrate in the bad stuff with most detectors that aren't PI's but we can, it is just that the strange soil skews and turns those signals into jumpy and unrecognizable areas that act completely different than normal shallow ones or targets at most depths in much better dirt.
That has been my job, break the code and try to recognize those better deeper or even shallow but severely masked targets and I have done pretty well so far.
Still, I have more to learn and I am always trying to do that as I did on this hunt from yesterday.
So, as always, I will put what I have learned out there just in case it could help another hunter sometime in the future with similar challenging obstacles and conditions.

Last edited:
I just got back from a hunt this morning and went to a spot that I have worked several times, using the exact same methods we just discussed I was able to find two wheats and a Buffalo nickel (can't read the date). The last wheat was masked causing the VDI'S to drop way out on about every third pass and also give a slight ferrous response, I was really suprised to see the wheat pop out at only about 4 inches deep. Made me wonder how many I have dismissed over the years and walked on ....like you said...always learning.

I also tried this again today at a house that I have hunted for a whole year and thought I got everything out of. Everytime I think of a new setting or when I try something new I still come back here just in case whatever I think of will work. Today, on a jumpy signal in a hole with two pieces of iron in that hole was this...

Attachments

• 2017-04-09 14.12.03.jpg
    2017-04-09 14.12.03.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 428
A better pic of this beauty...and another one with a couple of friends she had in the hole with her attempting to hide her.
It worked for a long time but now that is over.

Attachments

• user10659_pic74837_1491778560.jpg
    user10659_pic74837_1491778560.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 411
  • user10659_pic74838_1491778560.jpg
    user10659_pic74838_1491778560.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 485
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom