selling gold and silver

windhunt

when your collection of found gold and silver gets large, how do you dispose of it? Dose it all go to the smelter, pawn shop,etc. Some rings are works of art and, I would think the smelter is not a good place to go. I have read where some people have received thousands of dollars for their gold and that, my friend , is a lot of gold. I look forward to the answers.:?:

I have sold designer pieces very well on Ebay: Tiffany, Cartier Pandora.

99% of gold and silver jewelry is not worth more than melt prices, but if it has a nice name like tiffany or something it can bring a decent premium on places like ebay. Also, diamonds are basically worthless unless they are over a half carat.
My gold buyer busts them out with pliers and gives them back to me and buys the gold at about 95% of scrap value.
1000 bucks worth of gold really isn't that much, higher k gold adds up quick if you can find it!

I'm gonna try smelting my gold as soon as I get some xtra cash to pay for the materials to do it

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I would never sell gold or silver to a pawn show. I have found that they offer far less than half of the value of an item. Just my experience.

I never thought of it until i was approached on the beach but if you can find someone who designs their own jewlery they also are a good way to unload melt value stuff as well as some of those small stones which are basically worthless to us pirates.

right now melt price is dropping. I'd hold on to your gold for now. 14k is around 23.78 per gram as of today ( 6.24.18).. It had been holding at a good one dollar higher for quite a while... I'd hold on to it for now.

If you have brand name it will sell for MUCH more. I had a Cartier love ring that was only about 7 grams of 14k ... I sold it for 950.00 because the jeweler was looking for it and it was one of those right place at the right time situations for me... Otherwise I would of gotten about 150.00 melt. Cartier, Tiffany, etc sell for much much more than basic non branded jewelry.
www.goldcalc.com

Don't waste your time at Pawn shops. They will rip you off. Most jewelers offer a better price. Local here they pay 90% but you can also use ARA who is a refiner. They are new management so you might want to call to see if they will take detector found gold. Also, look on your local Craigs List. There are guys wo pay 90% in my area. They will probably meet you at a local McDonalds or something.

I sell some to Midwest Refinery in Michigan.
I'm holding on to my silver for a while, thinking of selling on craigs list but its hard selling jewelry.
Prices seem too low now.
I used to sell gold to American recycling Associates in Texas bu now I don't know, new owners?

Also check your local coin dealer. Ours will buy and sell gold jewelry, not sure if they buy scrap as I don't think they are making their own custom jewelry.

R5

I have a few friends that now buy my gold finds. They pay me full melt most of the time and there is no other charges as they pick it up.

Don't waste your time at Pawn shops. They will rip you off. Most jewelers offer a better price. Local here they pay 90% but you can also use ARA who is a refiner. They are new management so you might want to call to see if they will take detector found gold. Also, look on your local Craigs List. There are guys wo pay 90% in my area. They will probably meet you at a local McDonalds or something.

You must not have been on the post a while back where the new owner of ARA came on here. One email he said he was setting a 5 oz minimum to weed us deadbeats out:shock:

I have been using Mid-West refineries since 2011. Always received prompt payment usually with in a week and they pay 95% of melt on Gold. I'm not selling Silver anymore I feel it's way under priced so I'll keep it for now.

I have been using Mid-West refineries since 2011. Always received prompt payment usually with in a week and they pay 95% of melt on Gold. I'm not selling Silver anymore I feel it's way under priced so I'll keep it for now.
Thanks for the tip Charlie. I tried a place in NJ a few year back and they ripped me off. First and last. Good to hear Mid-West is OK. I will try them.

Craigslist. Brand names sell way over melt value. I'd say 25 times more for silver in my case. I am especially happy with Pandoras. Broken and dull stuff goes to local pm buyer (not sure what they do with the stuff they buy, but they pay reasonable price above 90%. I am still trying to find local jewelry designer who buys stones "which are practically useless to us pirates".

I get the most money for my gold & silver rings on Craigslist, but watch out for scammers. Only do business in person and for cash! Never consider taking a cashiers check or letting a "mover" pick it up. Those cashiers checks go through initially, but always bounce within 2 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom