• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Had to upgrade my beach machine!

Steve

:laughing: Wouldn't do you any good back in the hills , however i have a Brute force 750 with 75 miles on it, that's what you need , a 4 wheeler .

:laughing: Wouldn't do you any good back in the hills , however i have a Brute force 750 with 75 miles on it, that's what you need , a 4 wheeler .

My 1st ebike was the same as Larry's. The pedals were useful when the battery was running low or to help up a hill. They are surprisingly powerful. Now I have a small motorcycle I drive around. Rarely get over 30mph which is about the same speed as traffic.

Interesting to see how it holds up in the sand. I've seen a few scooting around on the beach but not getting very far or fast but they didn't have the fat tires

My 1st ebike was the same as Larry's. The pedals were useful when the battery was running low or to help up a hill. They are surprisingly powerful. Now I have a small motorcycle I drive around. Rarely get over 30mph which is about the same speed as traffic.

Interesting to see how it holds up in the sand. I've seen a few scooting around on the beach but not getting very far or fast but they didn't have the fat tires

I have 5 ebikes. One goes as fast as my scooter. Needless to say i am selling my scooter since the bike does the same for pennies of electric. Hopefully the controller lasts. My other beach ebike i use paid for itself on one hole dug. I dug a Plat with diamonds and two 14k that day.:shock: Good thing about this new one is the PAS works great. I like to peddle but not strain to do so, so if i start hitting soft stuff it should power right thru. I know this bikes top speed is 20.3 mph. But i can also peddle 20.3 MPH up a hill:shock:

I have 5 ebikes. One goes as fast as my scooter. Needless to say i am selling my scooter since the bike does the same for pennies of electric. Hopefully the controller lasts. My other beach ebike i use paid for itself on one hole dug. I dug a Plat with diamonds and two 14k that day.:shock: Good thing about this new one is the PAS works great. I like to peddle but not strain to do so, so if i start hitting soft stuff it should power right thru. I know this bikes top speed is 20.3 mph. But i can also peddle 20.3 MPH up a hill:shock:

Most of the big cities in china have banned them now. Ebike traffic jams

Rust in the Hub

Hey Larry, I wanted to share this with you and any other Ebiker's out there.
A couple of months ago I was able to get over to Crescent beach for a weekend. As luck would have it there was a 25 to 30 mph sustained wind out of the North. I came to detect and wasn't going to spend the weekend sitting in the RV so off I go. Decided to head North into the wind so I would have enough battery to get back should the head wind drain it down. Well I ended up toasting the motor:wow: Good thing is the wind was strong enough to literally blow me back without pedaling.
When I got back home I took the motor apart to see if I could fix it and discovered it was rusted up pretty bad. I'm guessing that when the motor gets hot, the air inside expands and finds it way out, then when it cools back down while your detecting it sucks the salt air back in.
So I ordered another hub motor, took it apart and coated everything inside that was steel with Insulating Varnish. I also did some research on Hub motors overheating and saw where guys were drilling holes in the cover plates for ventilation. I drilled some holes at an angle thinking it might help funnel air in while the wheel is turning. Then I glued some filter material over the holes to keep the sand and shells out. Any moisture that gets in will evaporate once the motor gets hot when using it. I've had it out twice since and it seems to be working good.
A word of caution!! If you take one apart. When you put it back together, DO NOT hold it by the edges of the cover plate. The magnets are very strong and it will pinch your fingertips off :shock: Hold the shaft, the magnets will slam it back together for you:lol:
The first two pictures are ones of rusted Hub motor.

Attachments

• Rust in the Hub.jpg
    Rust in the Hub.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1371r.jpg
    IMG_1371r.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1521r.jpg
    IMG_1521r.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1523r.jpg
    IMG_1523r.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1536r.jpg
    IMG_1536r.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1524r.jpg
    IMG_1524r.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1537r.jpg
    IMG_1537r.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 81
A couple of months ago I was able to get over to Crescent beach for a weekend. As luck would have it there was a 25 to 30 mph sustained wind out of the North. I came to detect and wasn't going to spend the weekend sitting in the RV so off I go. Decided to head North into the wind so I would have enough battery to get back should the head wind drain it down. Well I ended up toasting the motor:wow: Good thing is the wind was strong enough to literally blow me back without pedaling.
When I got back home I took the motor apart to see if I could fix it and discovered it was rusted up pretty bad. I'm guessing that when the motor gets hot, the air inside expands and finds it way out, then when it cools back down while your detecting it sucks the salt air back in.
So I ordered another hub motor, took it apart and coated everything inside that was steel with Insulating Varnish. I also did some research on Hub motors overheating and saw where guys were drilling holes in the cover plates for ventilation. I drilled some holes at an angle thinking it might help funnel air in while the wheel is turning. Then I glued some filter material over the holes to keep the sand and shells out. Any moisture that gets in will evaporate once the motor gets hot when using it. I've had it out twice since and it seems to be working good.
A word of caution!! If you take one apart. When you put it back together, DO NOT hold it by the edges of the cover plate. The magnets are very strong and it will pinch your fingertips off :shock: Hold the shaft, the magnets will slam it back together for you:lol:
DANG! I am hoping since the hub on mine now is small it is a geared motor like my EV Global bikes have. They are German Heinzmann hubs. If not i do have two spare Heinzmann rear wheels but they arent for a fatbike.

\

Wow that fix you did looks GOOD!

I already have an electric beach bike that Larry made for me last year :) It's just not a fat tire one.

You have to get 1 of the fold~up ones. That way you can toss it in the back of the jeep.
Then park the jeep and drive the bike a couple miles away. That'll really screw up the chasers

You have to get 1 of the fold~up ones. That way you can toss it in the back of the jeep.
Then park the jeep and drive the bike a couple miles away. That'll really screw up the chasers

I have a bike rack on the back of the jeep strong enough to carry two E-bikes :)

This one has pedal assist or just throttle. Either way high gear does 20.3mph. Wouldn't recommend trying that with a fatbike in the soft sand:shock: Got to add a scoop holder and the Equinox i just sling haul it over the back. Yeah i got a bicycle fettish:lol: So far the Equinox paid for one of the tires:wow:

More details on the bike.. Brand, price, etc..

Be careful out there...

Although I'd be more concerned about some ya-hoo stealing my bike while I had my head down on a target

Attachments

• 5I5ZILYAERCAFNPVUCHAKBA4DY.jpg
    5I5ZILYAERCAFNPVUCHAKBA4DY.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 54
I picked up a Rad-Mini folding Ebike a few weeks ago. I've taken it detecting once so far and it worked great. Sure beats the 1.5 mile walk from the parking lot to the old scout camp I was hunting!

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to haul everything on it, but have fenders and a basket for the rear rack on order.

Attachments

• IMG_0160.JPG
    IMG_0160.JPG
    186.5 KB · Views: 39
I picked up a Rad-Mini folding Ebike a few weeks ago. I've taken it detecting once so far and it worked great. Sure beats the 1.5 mile walk from the parking lot to the old scout camp I was hunting!

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to haul everything on it, but have fenders and a basket for the rear rack on order.

I got to do more figuring myself. Right now i have a big clamp i slide over the bars on one end and clamp my scoop head and the other side i have a loop of rope so the scoop rides sideways. The detector i carried in one hand while holding on to both grips. Not really the best way to ride.

Back
Top Bottom