Big coil or small coil?

John W.H.

Elite Member
There is a spot I've found alot of old coins at that had really slowed down for me just before winter. I know there is still good targets to be dug, but they are a little tricky being either deeper than my detector goes or masked by close by junk targets. After the thaw I want to go back and work the spot some more. So do I go back with a sniper coil to sift through the trash, or do I get a bigger coil to try and go a little deeper?? Never dug any coins very deep at this spot and I know there has to be deep good stuff there that my machine just dont reach, It's a Fisher F5 with stock coil. The spot dates back to at least 1890 so I suspect it's far from hunted out. I'm hoping to get a top o" the line detector before too long but till I do, What do you guys think I should do, bigger coil or smaller coil??

I'm guessing you'd get more use from a smaller coil, Maybe something like a 5" inch coil would hit on those masked item better..Good luck whatever you decide..:)

if its a trashy area your gonna want the sniper coil to seperate the targets better, the best thing to do if you really wanted to find the good targets would be to dig everything just to get rid of the trash then go back with a big coil to get the depth. with the sniper coil try crankin up the sensitivity and you should get more depth too.

Just to add.

A bigger coil won't always give you a lot more depth. Sometimes the only
advantage will be, that you'll cover more ground.

Went with small

Decided on the smaller 5" DD coil. I think it will work better for what I want to do. Drove up to the metaldetector.com store in southborough mass. to purchase it. Freindly people there and good prices. The owner, Moe put an E trac in my hands and I allmost started to drool! :lol: Can't wait till I can have the cash on hand to get one. :yes: Now I just need the ground to thaw because I'm itchin' to do some hunting!

Decided on the smaller 5" DD coil. I think it will work better for what I want to do. Drove up to the metaldetector.com store in southborough mass. to purchase it. Freindly people there and good prices. The owner, Moe put an E trac in my hands and I allmost started to drool! :lol: Can't wait till I can have the cash on hand to get one. :yes: Now I just need the ground to thaw because I'm itchin' to do some hunting!

Did business with them before.... Got my Compadre from there. Good folks!

Dusty

The stock coil is 10in? I have the 11in on my F75 and a 6in eliptical. For Fishers the larger coil options are the 10x12 SEF which will not help you much with depth from what i've been told or the 12x15 which might make you lose smaller coin targets. Your best bet is the smaller coil to pick through the trash.

I like the standard 8" coil my BountyHunter came with, its great for covering a lot of ground at once. I did try the small 4" coil and it takes longer to cover an area by far but you definitely find a lot more and its easier to pinpoint.

Just to add.

A bigger coil won't always give you a lot more depth. Sometimes the only
advantage will be, that you'll cover more ground.

I can second that... Ive got the standard 9X8 on both my Cibola and Vaquero. I also have the 12X10 DD widescan coil. I MIGHT get 1-2' deeper with the widescan. But it does cover more ground. Recommeded for non-trashy areas. I usually use the 9X8 unless I am hunting a larger field where I might need to cover more in a shorter period of time. But good luck on the hunt!

I would use the sniper coil if you have a lot of trash around. Then resweep with the large DD coil.

6 year old post and he now has a 3030 as shown in his signature...
Ive posted on older ones than that and then later on said,"WHOOPS"!:lol:
Your answer is still correct though...;)

Back
Top Bottom