• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Garrett Ace 350 possibly broken? Rapid beeping at random times!!!!

The thing for me is, my Ace 350 is my first detector, so I don't know what "normal behavior" is for an MD. It seems to me that there are so many variables (soil type, target composition, target depth, target size, target angle, possible interference from overlapping targets, swing speed, stray RF interference, manually adjustable sensitivity, and on and on)...I'm always surprised when I *do* get a clear, consistent signal. I usually chalk it up to me being new to this and assume I'll get better with experience, like everyone usually says. And, honestly, I've noticed an improvement in my ability to anticipate what's under my coil in my few months of practice. But it does seem like there's an awful lot of extra beeping going on. Could be a lot of trash underground, could be the detector, could be me, could be external interference. I just have no way of evaluating it.

It would be nice to see how a different detector responds to the same target, side by side. That might help. I may have to jump over to the "find a hunting buddy" area.
Until you get alittle more time under your belt with the 350 you might want to back off the sensitivity some. As you get more time in and more used to the sounds you can start cranking up the sens.

mine did the same thing after i had it for about 2 weeks. only did it when starting up . i called garrett and talked a guy who said send it back and they would replace the unit since it was only a week or so old havent got back yet , mine only did it on start up and then would stop after a few minutes first call they offered to replace coil also. i had another coil and it did the same with that coil, it isnt the coil

There is a youtube video of a guy comparing an Ace 350 with a E-Trak and when the Ace was at max sensitivity it would start alerting at random just sitting there, if that helps at all.

It's sounds like an issue with their electronics. At least they will help you out.

I would just ask them for an RMA, get them to send you a replacement unit.

dogpound, does that reset trick work with all the ace models? I think I may try it with my 250. It's been doing the same thing the last several outings. Including areas that I've used it several times before without the problems (i.e. my backyard, the sports field in the park, etc). Replaced the batteries with no improvement.

My ace 150 did that too until I switched back to using only "energizer max" batteries. Duracell batteries won't work correctly but for about 1/2 hour.

my ace 350 is doing the same thing now but a factory reset is not solving it. anyone have any more experience with this?

I do see this is a old thread, curious if all cases ended up needing to go in?.
I'll check for the mentioned screw tomorrow. But as of now this pretty well describes what I'm dealing with. And it just arrived two days ago..

Also did you guys ship back in the factory boxes??

Have a spot on my front lawn in a few hours where I have scanned and have a clean area of soil. Also I have already tried factory reset.
I've even turned sensitivity down to two bars.
Even tried to make sure coil is wound tight along the shaft.

Last edited:
What about wifi signals from your house or neighbors. Even your own smart phone's wifi, underground dog fences, power lines, cell towers, can cause problems. Have you called Garrett? They can troubleshoot and then tell you what to do.

What about wifi signals from your house or neighbors. Even your own smart phone's wifi, underground dog fences, power lines, cell towers, can cause problems. Have you called Garrett? They can troubleshoot and then tell you what to do.

That will probably be next step.
I don't have these issues with my at pro at same location.
So I'm wondering lets say hypothetically if that was the case
They didnt shield the electronics as well on a 350 vs at pro?

Mine has done that on occasion. EMI from power lines messes with mine sometimes. But wifi is a killer. If I'm near the corner of the house where the router is located it gets crazy. And I can tell when I get a text on my phone. I've never had any "falsing" or erratic behavior when I've been out in the woods away from potential sources of EMI.

OK. I see no on has mentioned running the first 6" of the coil STRAIGHT down the shaft BEFORE wrapping it the rest of the way. I even taped mine to keep it straight. And wrapping it tight then is not that necessary, just make sure it's not so tight at the connector that it PULLS on the wiring when you sweep. Had this problem when I first got mine about 8 years ago and NO problems since:cool:
P.S. Found this out when I read all the articles by the late Bill Revis and have NO idea why it works.:?:

Not to get off subject and out of curiosity but what's the difference in wrapping the coil wire and securing it as opposed to running it straight for a distance? How is one better than the other? Just wondering.

Not to get off subject and out of curiosity but what's the difference in wrapping the coil wire and securing it as opposed to running it straight for a distance? How is one better than the other? Just wondering.
To be honest, I don't know! I can only surmise that the coiled wire near the coil could have a "coil" effect that induces a small feedback?? In other words, the circuitry doesn't detect a straight wire that is parallel to the coil's field. I know years back a small amount of detection ability was increased by changing the coil nut and bolt from metal to plastic.:grin:

Thanks. I've read about the straight wire before but haven't tried it yet. Seems to work fine on mine wrapped.

Today was interesting quick test first fire up dinging and winging. Put coil in the air dinging and all continued. Power it down coil back down and fire back up and 2nd time normalized... Shouldn't it have been normal from.the start?
Lots of targets here at work, so I swept a area and it about matched the at pro but only after the second fire up. First fire up went nutty..
Ugh

Ok, interesting day on this one. After reading about the connector set screw I checked it was tight. Connector was in right but I pulled it re wrapped the wire around the shaft and fired up for another test. This time was running as it should.. I'll have to put this through its paces..

I wonder if there was a issues with coil side connectors for a while and that's why Garrett was sending out coils first to try...

Got 1 dime two pennies. Small metal scrap
And possibly first gold...
Looks like a small piece of metal which was something gold plated.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom