signals for certain things/coins

grogmug

The thing I'm confused on is, do you guys use your ACE250 in all metal mode all the time? What I'm asking is does the same thing show up in all metal mode for coins then it does on coin mode or is it actually more efficient to search in coin mode instead of all metal mode? I just need to figure out how to NOT find aluminum cans, wires, pull tabs, junk all the time!!! That's all I seem to be finding!!! ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!! I don't want to get discouraged!!!

I usually hunt in jewelry mode unless it's a real trashy area then I switch to coins. Even in coin mode you will dig some trash. You could always notch out pulltabs but then you may not find things like gold rings. If you're hunting an area that is really trashy you could try the sniper coil. The drawback on that is you can lose some depth. One thing you must realize is that to find the treasure, you'll have to dig lots of trash. Don't get discouraged. Once you make a really nice find you will feel like all the trash you dug up was worth it.

Good points MDW - There is simply no easy way. Digging trash comes with the territory, plain and simple. No matter how proficient you become, or what kind of machine you use, you will always dig trash.
And much like the leading home run hitters in baseball typically lead in strike outs also, those who dig the most will have the most finds [and the most trash too].
Having said that, as you go on, you do get better at deciphering what the machine is trying to tell you, and seperating some of the bad from the good.
Practice - And there is no better way to learn the ways of trash that to dig it.
The key is to remember it.
Also try to vary your hunting areas. Get discouraged, move on.

Personally, I don't use all metal, as the constant iron bloops are distracing to me.
I hunt in jewelry in woodchip parks, and coins or custom in lots and fields.
The same things do show up, yes. A quarter would give the same signal in all metal mode as in coins.
All metal simply means just that - Anything metallic will cause an alert, like in days of old.

After reading this reply's I'm going out TOMORROW. I'm going to hunt as many different places as possible, hopefully go back to the Civil War hill. I failed to mention I found a civil war horse brush last time out. I'll come back with an update, thanks again for all of your help. Should I leave the sensitivity all the way up or just half way on coin/jewelry mode?

disc mode with the sensitivity to the halfway point. If your finding trash is really pegging the top of your meter try this. Lift the coil about 5-6" above the target. If the signal is still there it is large trash. If the signal dissapears then it is a smaller item and needs to be investigated further.

hi grog i asked the same question the other day i got a gti 1500 and wondered did the segments mean the same in different modes. with mine i find the relic mode works best for me just cuts out that little more for me i cant get over how much difference there is between the gti 1500 and the old 500 i had. went out today and found some more coins even found an american dime 1912 and im in wales lol also found a w.r.e.n badge cant wait for tomorrow trying it out on a beach once the crowds have gone. ps i had lost this site and really glad i found it again good luck grog and happy hunting

grog - I have run the 250 at full sensitivity in very clean areas with good success.
It a judgement call, depending on location.
Even moderatly trashy locations, you don't want to be alerted to every pin size piece of foil in the ground.

The sensitivity on the ACE 250 is a tricky thing. You will lose a large portion of your depth if you run at half sensitivity.

I run at 6 bars minimum. IF I find a "funny" signal, I will adjust the sensistivity to try and isolate a good tone or lift the coil off the groud to see how the target reacts. The ACE is phenominal in sand lots and woodchips as well as construction sites. Its limits come in the undisturbed field, so dont sacrafice too much depth if you can help it.

I found the PERFECT spot today, I will provide pictures when I go back. It is a church that is at least 100 years old with a civil war graveyard behind it. With permission we went for about an hour today, and I found what I think is a grave spike. Didn't find much else, but you would think this place would be loaded with stuff. There are NO roads around it, and its secluded behind railroad tracks, should I use JUST coin mode or jewelry mode in hunting this place? Any suggestions would be great, because the weeds are pretty grown up around it...but its been abandoned for SEVERAL decades!!

Grogmug......the old church/graveyard sounds very
interesting !

Not trying to be a wise-xxx here, but seriously, you
might ease frustration when scanning, by giving the old place a good mowing first...then enjoy yourself !

Hope you find some good stuff !  :yes:
Let us know OK !

ToddB64
Ace250

Digging trash goes along with the hobby , there is just no way to reject all of it and find only the good stuff at the same time. You can adjust your settings to reject some trash but then you may miss some gold,etc. What I do is assess the area.Is it old? Is there lots of trash? I searched an area the other night that I do not think was ever previously searched.It is the site of an old tavern in the 1800's. I set my discrimination very low so I get lots of signals. An area like this you do not want to miss anything. On the other hand if I am searching a parking lot where I only suspect coins I will set the machine at coin range.

Ok this place would be perfect for a medal detector. The church has a basement that was part of the underground railroad. ALso had picnics outside for YEARS!! There is an old foundation of an 1800's house with a well in the back, the guy that owns it has been showing me all the spots NEVER hunted. Should I hunt in coin mode or just use all medal!? I keep seeing people finding all this "clad", HOW do you find so many coins..how do u know its a coin!? I still have yet to find a coin...I would really like to learn how!!! I've taken your advice but when having it on coin mode...I usually get an old piece of medal or something worthless....try to HELP me some more thank you!!
I WILL HAVE PICS TOMORROW!

Hi Grog,

I have an Ace 250 as well. It does take some time to get used to how it "rings". I took it to a trashy site and only set it Jewelry mode. I got a lot of "bouncy" signals (sometimes it would ring as a coin, then a pull tab). Every dig I dug turned out to be trash. I then took it to the park across the street from my house. This time I found a quarter, dime, and two pennies. With one of the pennies, I got a definite "ping" then a smaller signal. When I pinpointed the area, the tone would rise, then fall, then rise again. I figured that there were two items there. Sure enough, I found the penny and an old toy car. The other coins rang with a true "ping" and the id meter and depth meter were right on. The point is that over time, you will learn the "language" of your detector of what it's trying to tell you. I learned quite a bit at the park and am still learning what my MD'er is telling me. I used to get frustrated with "ah , just trash" but now I just go with the time that I have outside, not thinking of the worries of life for a bit (though it's not an "escape" but more of a "rest" so I can recharge my "mental batteries".

DMan

Back
Top Bottom