Erratic signals

seadog2

Getting a lot of erratic readings lately with my machine , even when I set it at coin range or above. On coin range ,lately it has been picking up lots of trash like old rusty nails,pieces of iron , etc.Lots of signals going in one direction but silent passing back the other direction. Maybe I've just been searching high trash areas and this is normal , not sure. Also , I've been useing my machine at factory settings since I got it about 5 yrs ago - is it time to start tweaking the ground balance adjustment?{ not that I know how to do this}. It is a White's classic 3. Thanks for the help.

Do you use a coil cover? Could there possibly be dirt or sand in between the coil and the cover? That can happen...

Sounds pretty normal for a trashy site. High sensitivity settings will give false signals. Also to fast a swing will add some unwanted noise in there and you get that good signal one way sound off iron and trash.

yes , I use a coil cover.As a matter of fact I removed it this morning and there was some dirt in there. Maybe that is what happened.Other than that I don't recall ever getting so many signals while I have it on coin range. It was acting as if it were in all metal mode but that shouldn't be while searching in coin range.I will test it again today with the cleaned out coil cover.Thanks for the suggestions!

The signals one way and not the other is indicative of targets that are not flat. If you've cleaned the coil off , changed the batteries , checked the battery terminals and case for cracks, and the detector is still sounding off this way then I beleive you have a problem with it. If you have a good target and swing the coil faster then the signal should smooth out and become more noticeable. If its junk it will null out more. The Classic III is a pretty stable detector.

well I tested again today in a different area and seems to be more stable.The area where it was going nuts on me the other day was full of flat , one inch pieces of copper. Trimmings from the copperwork next to the building I was at I would think.

Back
Top Bottom