• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Equinox iron bias

aj0421

Elite Member
I just watched a few videos on YouTube about the iron bias of the equinox 800. Did a quick test in my front yard changing Park 1 mode iron bias from 6 to 0 and I did pick up a few new targets I did not see before. I am a little nervous digging in my front and side yard since I have already completely cut my TV cable. Luckily my brother-in-lae had all the connectors and tools to splice in a connector.

What iron bias do you guys and girls use for parks and also for the beach?

Use as little iron bias as you can mentally and physically handle. If you dig more trash than you can handle....increase it.

Thank you for the suggestion, I will definitely give it a try the next time I go to the beach.

I just watched a few videos on YouTube about the iron bias of the equinox 800. Did a quick test in my front yard changing Park 1 mode iron bias from 6 to 0 and I did pick up a few new targets I did not see before. I am a little nervous digging in my front and side yard since I have already completely cut my TV cable. Luckily my brother-in-lae had all the connectors and tools to splice in a connector.

There is FE iron bias and F2 iron bias.
They are different.
If you use FE iron bias I recommend 1 setting.
If you use F2 iron bias I recommend a 4 setting.

With some more experimence with detector you may go lower on the settings I list above. F2 - 4 setting will find a lot of stuff near iron. Trust me.

The above info applies to stock coil useage.

At a very trashy water area I hunt, I use FE2 = 6. With this setting, I no longer dig bottle caps...and this place literally has hundreds of them. On land, I keep my FE2 at 4.

There is a fallacy that a high IB will cause you to lose depth. Most of that is unwarranted to a point. I am only going to speak for IB at a salt water beach.

I run FE6

This does a few things. It helps calm the machine down to the effects of black sand and salt water contact.

An FE of 6 also aids in the identification of iron in the horseshoe mode. It does this by sounding off with a double target sound.

For an entire season I compared FE6 to a user program of FE4. I checked all iffy targets. Not at any point did FE4 change my mind to dig or not. Also the FE4 mode did not identify a target any different.

Because of the power of this combination I almost do all of my hunting in the horseshoe mode. Because of the powerful identification of iron I have been able to dig a few nonferrous targets that do not even register in discrimination mode. However none of these targets have been worth any great value. [Yet]

There is FE iron bias and F2 iron bias.
They are different.
If you use FE iron bias I recommend 1 setting.
If you use F2 iron bias I recommend a 4 setting.

With some more experimence with detector you may go lower on the settings I list above. F2 - 4 setting will find a lot of stuff near iron. Trust me.

The above info applies to stock coil useage.

I run F2-0. I hunt in both ferrous and non-ferrous trash most of the time. I don't get to hunt much on pure iron sites. In Park1 F2-0 iron falsing is a pain compared to Park2. I am 100% certain Park1 falses more in iron than Park2 does. Why?

How many people run a different IB setting for different programs? I have found some very deep silver in Park2 running F2-0. I'm wondering if running Park1 in F2 at a higher number would be better than running Park2 at F2-0?

What was your IB setting in the Equinox vs. Etrac buried dime video? I wish you would do again with just Equinox 800 running Park1 at your normal IB F2+4 setting and Park2 at F2-0.

The reason I would like to see is strictly for depth reasons. To compare how good both programs hit the dime with the above settings.

I run F2-0. I hunt in both ferrous and non-ferrous trash most of the time. I don't get to hunt much on pure iron sites. In Park1 F2-0 iron falsing is a pain compared to Park2. I am 100% certain Park1 falses more in iron than Park2 does. Why?

How many people run a different IB setting for different programs? I have found some very deep silver in Park2 running F2-0. I'm wondering if running Park1 in F2 at a higher number would be better than running Park2 at F2-0?

What was your IB setting in the Equinox vs. Etrac buried dime video? I wish you would do again with just Equinox 800 running Park1 at your normal IB F2+4 setting and Park2 at F2-0.

The reason I would like to see is strictly for depth reasons. To compare how good both programs hit the dime with the above settings.
I’m thinking park 1 falses more in iron because of it’s lower frequency weighting. Supposedly higher frequencies will pick a high conductor out of iron infested sites better than lower frequencies.

I’m thinking park 1 falses more in iron because of it’s lower frequency weighting. Supposedly higher frequencies will pick a high conductor out of iron infested sites better than lower frequencies.

I had read when the Equinox frequencies were analyzed there was little frequency difference across programs. As in Park1 was not weighted any lower frequency wise than Park2. As a matter of fact what I read seemed to say they were practically the same across all programs, and it must be unique individual processing for each program that is where the difference between them lies.

Just going on what I have read.

I have also found Park1 to be more EMI sensitive than Park2. The stock programs have Park1 with a higher IB than Park2. I just never thought to run Park1 at a higher IB setting, and was wondering if maybe that is why I have such trouble with it around iron. If Park1 supposedly hits high conductors better maybe I was missing some silver not using it. Basically every time in the past I used Park1 around iron I ended up getting fooled more than I would in Park2.

The thing is at this one park I hunt where all the silver is at the edge of detection the signals can be pretty iffy to begin with. Park2 for me unmasked these deep silver dimes the best. While using Park2 I could trust the numbers at F2-0. If I tried Park1 F2-0 I found I could not trust the numbers unless it was far less of an iffy signal. I hope that makes sense?

I had read when the Equinox frequencies were analyzed there was little frequency difference across programs. As in Park1 was not weighted any lower frequency wise than Park2. As a matter of fact what I read seemed to say they were practically the same across all programs, and it must be unique individual processing for each program that is where the difference between them lies.

Just going on what I have read.

Not sure where you read that, but it's clearly listed in the manual that the frequency weighting is different for each program setting.

From the manual:
Park 1 Multi-IQ processes a lower frequency weighting of the
multi-frequency signal
, as well as using algorithms that maximize
ground balancing for soil, to achieve the best signal to noise ratio.
Hence Park 1 is most suited for general detecting and coin hunting

Park 2 Multi-IQ processes a higher frequency weighted multi-frequency
signal
while ground balancing for soil.

Same for Field 1 and Field 2

Beach 1 Multi-IQ processes a low frequency
weighted multi-frequency signal,
and uses special algorithms to
maximize ground balancing for salt.

Beach 2 Multi-IQ processes a very low weighted multi-frequency combination, using the same algorithms as Beach 1 to maximise ground
balancing for salt.

Check out the manual, it explains all of this and is a great resource!

Not sure where you read that, but it's clearly listed in the manual that the frequency weighting is different for each program setting.

From the manual:
Park 1 Multi-IQ processes a lower frequency weighting of the
multi-frequency signal
, as well as using algorithms that maximize
ground balancing for soil, to achieve the best signal to noise ratio.
Hence Park 1 is most suited for general detecting and coin hunting

Park 2 Multi-IQ processes a higher frequency weighted multi-frequency
signal
while ground balancing for soil.

Same for Field 1 and Field 2

Beach 1 Multi-IQ processes a low frequency
weighted multi-frequency signal,
and uses special algorithms to
maximize ground balancing for salt.

Beach 2 Multi-IQ processes a very low weighted multi-frequency combination, using the same algorithms as Beach 1 to maximise ground
balancing for salt.

Check out the manual, it explains all of this and is a great resource!

I remembered getting what I posted from this thread. Took me a minute to find.
https://www.detectorprospector.com/...ighting-differences-between-park-field-modes/

According to it the transmitted frequencies were the same. Now how each program analyzes them could be weighted to lower or higher. Regardless Park1 in my soil with a good GB falses on iron a lot more than Park2 does using the same iron bias setting. The question remains for me which is best Park1 with a higher iron bias setting or Park2 with a lower setting?

Let me see what I can do. I did adjust iron bias. But will not take a chance and share possible faulty info.

No beaches in Kansas, but for my normal hunting of tot lots, schools & parks for gold, I always ran with Iron Bias at 0.

I remembered getting what I posted from this thread. Took me a minute to find.
https://www.detectorprospector.com/...ighting-differences-between-park-field-modes/

According to it the transmitted frequencies were the same. Now how each program analyzes them could be weighted to lower or higher. Regardless Park1 in my soil with a good GB falses on iron a lot more than Park2 does using the same iron bias setting. The question remains for me which is best Park1 with a higher iron bias setting or Park2 with a lower setting?

I have read that post on Detector Prospector several times since it was written.
I believe what the manual says. From experience and the manual, I also believe there is very little difference in what multi frequencies are being used between Park 1 and Field 1. I also believe there is very little difference between the Park 2 and Field 2 multi frequencies being used. I believe there is a substantial difference between the multi frequencies being used between Park 1 and Park 2 or between Field 1 and Field 2. Beach 1 and Beach 2 are very similar in frequencies being used. Beach 2 just has more aggressive built in salt and iron black sand compensation for submerged hunting. Gold 1 and Gold 2 are very similar to each other but have higher multi frequency weighting than any of the Park, Field or Beach modes.

So, I do not believe that all 8 modes on the Equinox 800 or the 6 modes on the Equinox 600 are transmitting only one set of multi frequencies throughout all the modes and just the return signal processing is different between Park 1 and Park 2, which makes them so different, etc.

I have read that post on Detector Prospector several times since it was written.
I believe what the manual says. From experience and the manual, I also believe there is very little difference in what multi frequencies are being used between Park 1 and Field 1. I also believe there is very little difference between the Park 2 and Field 2 multi frequencies being used. I believe there is a substantial difference between the multi frequencies being used between Park 1 and Park 2 or between Field 1 and Field 2. Beach 1 and Beach 2 are very similar in frequencies being used. Beach 2 just has more aggressive built in salt and iron black sand compensation for submerged hunting. Gold 1 and Gold 2 are very similar to each other but have higher multi frequency weighting than any of the Park, Field or Beach modes.

So, I do not believe that all 8 modes on the Equinox 800 or the 6 modes on the Equinox 600 are transmitting only one set of multi frequencies throughout all the modes and just the return signal processing is different between Park 1 and Park 2, which makes them so different, etc.

:goodpost:

I agree with this 100%. Matches my experience and observations as I operate the various modes in my hunting locations.

No beaches in Kansas, but for my normal hunting of tot lots, schools & parks for gold, I always ran with Iron Bias at 0.

I never run iron bias.... i had done a few tests withna silver merc and a square nail ..i know they werent burried but it told me all i needed to know..

I definitely wouldve missed a few silvers if the iron bias acted similar to the tests i did above ground..i have enough hours on my machine now where i feel my own ears will do a better job... when i get a deep high squeeker that may not signal every pass... i hit it from every direction and usually i can have it tell me the truth if its iron or a good coin...
Large majority of the time anyway

I wonder if ML is gonna put out another update..maybe one that will help ids on the 6 inch....its mynabsolute favorite coil even with the wacky ID'S

Back
Top Bottom