Coiltek 10x5

longbow62

Forum Supporter
I ordered one of these last night. How about a depth report? Hoping I won't lose much compared to the stock 11". Better at handling EMI?

I ordered one of these last night. How about a depth report? Hoping I won't lose much compared to the stock 11". Better at handling EMI?

I've used the 10x5" Coiltek in trashy parks, sports fields, and a ghost town and it is amazing.

I haven't noticed any depth loss compared to the 11" coil at all. Of course, my ground is highly mineralized, so I can't run the 11" or the 10x5" at full sensitivity, but the Coiltek has surprized me at how deep it goes. I routinely hit 8-10" targets and some beyond that.

The separation is better than the 11" (which has great separation), in fact I haven't put my 11" back on since I got the 10x5" coil. It just plucks good tones out of the trash and you'll know when you hit a good target. I'm very happy with it.

Attachments

• Coiltek-10x5-Gold-800.jpg
    Coiltek-10x5-Gold-800.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 458
I've used the 10x5" Coiltek in trashy parks, sports fields, and a ghost town and it is amazing.

I haven't noticed any depth loss compared to the 11" coil at all. Of course, my ground is highly mineralized, so I can't run the 11" or the 10x5" at full sensitivity, but the Coiltek has surprized me at how deep it goes. I routinely hit 8-10" targets and some beyond that.

The separation is better than the 11" (which has great separation), in fact I haven't put my 11" back on since I got the 10x5" coil. It just plucks good tones out of the trash and you'll know when you hit a good target. I'm very happy with it.

Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear.

I used the 10x5 for a few hours Friday evening at a place I have hunted several times. So far it does separate better, but for whatever reason I was not hearing any deeper targets like I usually do with the 11" . Maybe 5" was the deepest I dug anything. Most was shallow 3"-4". It does seem to false easier than the stock 11" does on iron nails. I dug some nails I would never dig with the 11" that sounded pretty good.

I used the 10x5 for a few hours Friday evening at a place I have hunted several times. So far it does separate better, but for whatever reason I was not hearing any deeper targets like I usually do with the 11" . Maybe 5" was the deepest I dug anything. Most was shallow 3"-4". It does seem to false easier than the stock 11" does on iron nails. I dug some nails I would never dig with the 11" that sounded pretty good.

A few things that were suggested to me that helped get the 10x5" coil optimized was to do a "FP" Factory Reset with the 10x5 connected, bump up the F2 iron bias to handle iron falsing (I run F2 between 6-9 depending on conditions) and if you're not in highly mineralized soil, you can bump up the sensitivity to increase depth.

longbow62: said:
I ordered one of these last night. How about a depth report? Hoping I won't lose much compared to the stock 11".
I don't use that detector, but I do, and have, used a comparable search coil. I have a factory 5X9½DD open-frame coil on my Nokta / Makro Simplex + and it stays mounted full time. I enjoy its a performance for most locations over the stock 11" round DD. Slightly less depth, but very functional.

I also had the same size 5X9½ DD on a Nokta FORS CoRe and Nokta / Makro Anfibio Multi and they provided similar in-the-field performance. Better separation as would be expected for a mid-size elliptical coil with very acceptable depth-of-detection. I also currently have the 5X9½ DD for my Nokta Relic which also works well in moderately littered site, and like the others mentioned, I use it when I don't have a smaller coil mounted for dense trash, and I seldom opt for their standard 7X11 or round 11" coils.

My XP ORX also has their 5X9½ DD mounted full-time and, like my other models, the performance afield is very decent.

longbow62: said:
Better at handling EMI?
With all models mentioned above, Yes, I generally experience less to very little, if any, EMI when hunting the same challenged locations with a larger-size coil. Matter-of-fact, I only have one model with a bigger coil mounted for use in plowed fields, a beach, or other wide-open / sparse-target locations and that's an 8½X11 'Raider' coil. Most of the time I am using a smaller-size coil, roughly 5" to 6" to handle the dense Iron debris where I often search, or a mid-size coil for the moderately-littered areas. Those would be my 5X8 DD 'Ripper' or the 5X9½ DD coils described above.

As for Sensitivity settings, for over five decades I have operated at maximum Sensitivity, reducing it only if desired to reduce any EMI instability, if present at any location.

Monte

Thinking hard about getting this coil. I'm going to wait another month and see what happens with Nokta and their SMF.

longbow, I know this an older thread and by now you have had time to do some more evaluating. I will say the deepest good target so far for me has been maybe 8 in. But got some really encouraging news today. A buddy of mine who is about 60 mi. north of the burg, while hunting with the 800/10x5 in F2 in rich black soil got solid 19-20. He said 11in. down was a beautiful 1892 Ihp. He also admitted to digging some rusty iron that sounded real good too so maybe a little trade off but good to hear the 10x5 is hearing good signals that deep. Good luck, Mark

Ground has been like concrete since I got mine. I mean the kind of dry the clay soil is impossible to push a digger more than a couple of inches at a time. Plus I have only had it in one yard that was semi free of non-ferrous shallow trash. No detecting this weekend.

Good to know people are getting some good depth. I made a post last weekend about my finds from that one yard. Most targets shallow. All three of the following targets were about 6". 1900 IHP, Silver ring, and V nickel. One V and IHP were very shallow 3"-4". I think there are deeper targets there. Maybe when we get some rain it will help.

Back
Top Bottom