Beginner here. Would like package deal

Happyheather

Hi! I’m a newbie. I have been reading a few posts. It says to get a basic machine and then upgrade. Will I miss stuff, with a basic machine? It won’t go as deep? Won’t detect well? Etc. Is it better to get a great one now so I don’t miss anything? I’m looking for a detector, pin point, and other stuff in a package. I read it’s cheaper on here, if I do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It will just be land now, no plans to go to the beach anytime soon. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

contact some of the sponsors on here in the upper right hand corner , as for package deals they can give you better deals than they are allowed to advertise.

contact some of the sponsors on here in the upper right hand corner , as for package deals they can give you better deals than they are allowed to advertise.

David I’m new to this Tapatalk app. Where are the sponsors? Thank you.

Welcome aboard Heather,

I believe the main reason people are saying to start with a basic machine is so you don't invest a lot of money and find out after 3-4 outings that you don't enjoy it and gold and silver doesn't just leap out of the ground into your finds bag. The fancy detectors out there will give you a few extra inches, tell you a lot more info on what the target MIGHT be but they all will find metal. I've seen tons on post on here where people have made great finds with cheap detectors, even plenty where someone with a cheap detector followed behind others with very expensive ones and made the best finds. Some of the more expensive models have a lot of bells and whistles that if your new to the hobby will be like learning a different language. Get something low to mid range, (not the cheapest hunk of Chinese junk you find) find out if you enjoy the hobby, if it's something you're still interested in 6 months to a year down the road then by all means upgrade. On the other hand if a year later it doesn't have a scratch on it and not seen the outside of your garage or closet at least you're not out $1,000 plus for a machine and all the accessories to go along with it.

Hi! I was thinking about the XP ORX. Do you think that is too advanced or too hi tech? Thank you!

I used a Tesoro Compadre, part time so not my primary tool and still have it.
Got it for $130 used...so far found over 10X's what it cost in coins and silver and gold jewelry mostly in public parks.

I used a Fisher F2 for 3 years, current version is the F22, cost me $200 and found way more than 10X's it's cost in coins and silver and gold jewelry mostly in public parks.

I upgraded to a Fisher F70 in 2014, an upper end detector with more power and many more features.
Again paid for the thing within 4 months and several times over since then in coins and silver and gold jewelry mostly in public parks.
Not a whole ton overall better than those way cheaper units except it could get deeper and had more settings I could use to combat the most challenging sites like massive iron infestation and heavy mineralized soil.
Deeper is nice but 90% of all I have found has usually been less than 6" in depth which all of my detectors can get to.
It definitely was worth upgrading to become more successful in my most challenging sites...but that is me.

Many start with entry level detectors, learn the ropes of the hobby, have great fun, find a ton and decide to stay in and by the time they decide they need an upgrade they have much more knowledge and know what to aim for...for them.
Others enter the hobby with higher end detectors, they learn the hobby and move up the learning curve and are happy...unless they aren't because they discovered the hobby wasn't for them or the tool they chose to start with didn't fit them well...which sometimes happens.

You are lucky, never has there been as many extremely capable lower priced metal detectors in history as there is now.
The middle range is filled with great choices and the higher end has plenty too, including a few that used to be way more expensive but dropped their prices by several hundreds of dollars as things shook out in the industry.

To do this right I believe you have to consider a few other things.
You need a detector, of course, a pinpointer is something that will enhance your experience immensely and like most things in life the cheaper ones might look like a good deal but in reality 98% of the hunters that use them have good ones...they learned their lesson on the cheaper units.
You need a decent digging tool, if you have nice black dirt to dig in almost any hand digger will do, if you don't you will go though cheaper ones like water.
You need a pouch to carry your hand tools, pockets don't work very well for this.

Nobody can tell you exactly what would work for you, only you know what your budget is and what you are willing to spend and go through to enter and stay in this hobby successfully.
The bulk of us started out small and grew into it naturally and organically, others went all in from the get-go.
You do you...get all the opinions you need and decide from there.

All I can tell you is I had the same amount of thrills, fun and excitement using all my different detectors from the cheapest on up, still do.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Great info from Digger27. More good reasons to start less expensive is some detectors, like boats, work better in different situations. Like digger said you'll more likely know more of what you want on your next detector and you'll have more time to find a better deal (maybe used) You'll have a backup, a loaner for a friend to use and a detector you don't have to worry about losing or breaking compared to a expensive one. Don't make me tell you how my brother borrowed my $130 jigsaw andlater I found out he used it to cut rebar. 🤬

Hi! I was thinking about the XP ORX. Do you think that is too advanced or too hi tech? Thank you!

Where do you plan to hunt? Fields and yards ,parks are all different and different machines excel in different places.. It can be very frustrating setting up a machine if it’s too advanced,not knowing what everything does and how settings work together or against each other.
Although I think the Orx is a great machine the audio and settings arent the easiest to decipher. In your shoes I would get a equinox 600 ,I think it’s the easiest to set up and the tones are very informative,easy on the ears.

Hi! Yes it would be fields, parks, my yard and hopefully neighbors will let me. Just trying to get out there and see if I can find something cool.

I started with a more expensive detector and for quite a while i thought that i had wasted a lot of money as all i was finding was trash. But being stubborn and not going to let an electronic machine defeat me i kept on detecting. It took a little time but i learned that machine. Now we are a team. I find more modern coins than anything else but once in a while an older silver coin comes out of the dirt. I have been told that i am addicted. But it is the only addiction that will reimburse you for the cost of your equipment.

I started with a more expensive detector and for quite a while i thought that i had wasted a lot of money as all i was finding was trash. But being stubborn and not going to let an electronic machine defeat me i kept on detecting. It took a little time but i learned that machine. Now we are a team. I find more modern coins than anything else but once in a while an older silver coin comes out of the dirt. I have been told that i am addicted. But it is the only addiction that will reimburse you for the cost of your equipment.

What machine did you start out with? I sent an email message to each sponsor, but haven’t replied yet. I’m reading as much as I can on beginning. Thank you!

sponsors

What machine did you start out with? I sent an email message to each sponsor, but haven’t replied yet. I’m reading as much as I can on beginning. Thank you!

you might have to call, they can give you non published deals on the phone, they are not allowed to publish lower deals under agreement with the manufactures. Also mention that you are a member of the forum.

A phone call is the only way to get the better prices. I have never had but one dealer give me a price in an email.

The reason folks recommend an entry level machine is the learning curve. The more bells and whistles the steeper the learning curve.

Nokta has the Simplex. Minelab has the Vanquish and now Garrett has out the Apex.

I use a Minelab and am very pleased with its performance even though minelab quit making it four months after i made the purchase. It has received 8 years of hard use and still works like it should.

A phone call is the only way to get the better prices. I have never had but one dealer give me a price in an email.

The reason folks recommend an entry level machine is the learning curve. The more bells and whistles the steeper the learning curve.

Nokta has the Simplex. Minelab has the Vanquish and now Garrett has out the Apex.

I use a Minelab and am very pleased with its performance even though minelab quit making it four months after i made the purchase. It has received 8 years of hard use and still works like it should.

Thank you! Beside the actual machine, what else do you suggest I get? Thanks

I like a lesche digging tool. Doesnt draw the attention a shovel does in public. Also a pin pointer is a must in my opinion. A good one is not cheap but they make a tremendous difference i how quickly you can find a target. There a bunch of cheap knockoffs on the big auction site. I do not recommend that you get one of those. Some folks have pretty good luck with them but most do not. Buy from a dealer. Of course something to carry your finds and the trash that you remove.

I think the ORX is a great detector that’s not very difficult to learn. Lightweight and performs great. Best of luck out there!

I’m down to the ORX and the Equinox 800. Any help to get me to one? Thanks

If your just going to hunt fields, yards and sand both will do great. If you’ll be in the water then look at the Equinox.
The ORX is simple to operate more so than the Nox and lighter. If you’ll be nugget hunting then the Equinox.
The Equinox is more $ than the ORX but I believe it to be more “all terrain” than the ORX. Simply because it can be submerged in water without having to add on a water kit.
Watch the Skill School channel on YouTube for more detailed operation on the ORX. For more info on the Nox do a google search for links to reviews.
Please remember, no matter what detector you decide on, it all boils down to you on how successful you are with it. The more you know, the better the finds.
I wish you the best of luck in your quest.

If your just going to hunt fields, yards and sand both will do great. If you’ll be in the water then look at the Equinox.
The ORX is simple to operate more so than the Nox and lighter. If you’ll be nugget hunting then the Equinox.
The Equinox is more $ than the ORX but I believe it to be more “all terrain” than the ORX. Simply because it can be submerged in water without having to add on a water kit.
Watch the Skill School channel on YouTube for more detailed operation on the ORX. For more info on the Nox do a google search for links to reviews.
Please remember, no matter what detector you decide on, it all boils down to you on how successful you are with it. The more you know, the better the finds.
I wish you the best of luck in your quest.

Thank you so much. You are so nice. I love the truth. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom