Police... no shots fired

(Heavy)

Elite Member
Last night I hit a large park just before things started to slow down. Tot lot first (no tots just teens) it's dark. Saw that full moon, knew the lights would go off at the Baseketball courts and the brothers would head out last. As soon as the volley games ended and their court lights shut off I was out of the bark multch and going for my scoop :yes:

Couple trinkets from the playground, got the sand shifted on all three nets for two earrings and it's midnight before I get to the dark b-ball courts. I was just coming around the last corner of the last court when I see the squad car search light sweeping the park LOL (there has got to be a better place to park) He wasn't having any luck spotting me and I didn't want my plates ran so I came out.

I put both arms out (detector in one, scoop in the other) and walked out of the darkness toward his vehicle. One young policeman exited and looked really nervous. Hand on his weapon I was not dropping my arms and kept moving toward him until he could see me clearly. I was worried if he ask me to turn around he would see my modified holster hanging from my pistol belt under my T-shirt.

Good morning officer, metal detecting he says, yes sir :D I dropped my arms and he stepped back... oops. Park actually closes after the lights turn off he says, I'm done here officer, I guess the time just slips away when you are having fun. Well if you want you can stay a while longer he says with a smile, is that your truck? yes sir. "Have a nice evening, and be careful." thank you sir.

So I slipped back into the shadows, where I could see and hear everything that moves in the night. Man there is no better feeling then hunting the witching hour. I never wear headsets day or night anyway but there is something very exciting about owning the night in a Chicagoland park. Fear is contageous, like a wild animal stalking that scap of bling in the dead of the night.... I just love it!

Do I see things? yes, do they see me... not unless I want them too.

very cool. i like nite hunting.......temps are cooler, no crowds, no other detectorists see ya and get the idea of hitting certain areas :lol: i can work in stealth mode under the cover of darkness with only the light of my propointer:D

Hunting at night is an extreme
I've had experience - was attacked of wild fox :fear:

It happened at night in a field about 10 miles from nearest village
I waved a shovel and tried to kill a fox - she growl at me and coming from different sides

Hunting at night is an extreme
I've had experience - was attacked of wild fox :fear:

It happened at night in a field about 10 miles from nearest village
I waved a shovel and tried to kill a fox - she growl at me and coming from different sides

you were on her nesting ground, just back away the way you came and hope it's not toward her lair.

you were on her nesting ground, just back away the way you came and hope it's not toward her lair.

I do not know - but the fox was very aggressive
I tried to leave - but she'll chase some time.
Currently, I carry a gun (rubber bullets) on a night hunting
fox do not attack

Night hunting is fun...

I can't drive since my stroke, so I only get out when I get a ride, and thats not usually at night.
John

Man,, you guys live on the edge. Sounds like fun though. I don't think a guy should MD at nite alone. Its not the four legged animals that you have to weary about it the two.:lol: So did you find anything?

Owning the shadows is fun indeed :D

Do you own a pair of Night Vision Goggles SamFisher? If you do what generation? They are extremely expensive and I'm not sure they would give me a better sense of control over just good eye glasses and the peripheral visiability you get without, and after your eyes adjust anyone coming toward you from the light is at a dis-advantage natually.

Man,, you guys live on the edge. Sounds like fun though. I don't think a guy should MD at nite alone. Its not the four legged animals that you have to weary about it the two.:lol:

I always thought that a city park would be the last place I would be after dark... especially in the Chicagoland area. It does sound wierd and it's not something I recommend at all unless you just like the rush. But for those of you who have known the feeling before me... you get it.

I once lived by a golf course in Florida and one night I was walking my dog well after midnight passed the water hazard. I stopped to sit and have a smoke hoping the police didn't use NV to scan the course at night.

I about crapped my pants when a diver surfaced right in front of me in full gear like a navy seal and stood before me. A mountain of a man, he spoke softly and with care to settle my dog. I will never forget how dark it must have been under that pond water, alone at night just to collect golf balls. Now I understand where his head was... he was living in the shadows. Trained his mind to deal with fear and the uncertainty of changing events.

I about crapped my pants when a diver surfaced right in front of me in full gear like a navy seal and stood before me. A mountain of a man, he spoke softly and with care to settle my dog. I will never forget how dark it must have been under that pond water, alone at night just to collect golf balls. Now I understand where his head was... he was living in the shadows. Trained his mind to deal with fear and the uncertainty of changing events.

Thanks now im afraid of Florida Golf Courses AND Parks in Chicago at night ;)

nite hunting is addictive....infact it turns into a fetish, and then there is that rush of being seen or caught.............OMG i need to see a shrink :twisted::lol:

Man,, you guys live on the edge. Sounds like fun though. I don't think a guy should MD at nite alone. Its not the four legged animals that you have to weary about it the two.:lol: So did you find anything?

I found a few copper coins, 1800
But I'm already a year I go it alone ...

I too like to night hunt, but my pinpointer sucks. A bat with poor sonar makes for a bad bat... Plus, I'm always too tired once it gets dark enough. :(

i can work in stealth mode under the cover of darkness with only the light of my propointer:D

It's true Garretts PP light is all you want and even that can give away your position. Tape works over the speaker and now I have a black nylon sock that filters my display light very nicely. Unfortunatly I had to stand in the womens lingerie for what seemed like an eternity to get a pair of those:shock:

What's up with the hot pink, bright orange and lime green bra's... :?:

Unfortunatly I had to stand in the womens lingerie for what seemed like an eternity to get a pair of those:shock:

What's up with the hot pink, bright orange and lime green bra's... :?:

:lol:.... i use a bandana over my backlit screen and then only lift it to ID my find and during pinpointing, recovery is only using the propointer LED. tape over the speaker is a must, not only to quiet it down but also to keep grime and moisture out. a small glow in the dark dot the size of a pencil eraser on the hot spot (pinpoint area) of the coil is also very useful for quick target recovery.

Last edited:
a small glow in the dark dot the size of a pencil eraser on the hot spot (pinpoint area) of the coil is also very useful for quick target recovery.

Yes, I took your advice on this already... thanks much

this is a video click on it ...magoo :roll:

Back
Top Bottom