Mysteries: a Seated and a Token

DoctorWhy

Out in a field on the Maine island where I live, after two unproductive hours into an afternoon hunt, two treasures rang up within a couple minutes.

The first was an 187(?) Seated quarter. The coin is in generally very nice condition, however there are two mysterious marks on it. Tthe last digit of the date has been scratched out (see photo) and a small sliver has long ago been shaved off the coin at approximately the 2-o'clock position (see photo). (The shaved surface had the same tarnish as the face of the coin despite how it appears in the photo.) Any idea why this coin was deliberately defaced? The "type" of the seated quarter (no arrows on either side of the date and a motto banner present above the eagle's head on the reverse side) seem to indicate it was most likely an 1875 through 1879 mintage.

The second find, just a few feet away was this scalloped-edged brass token. It reads: "ZURLA MODESTO" with the expression "good for 5c(ent) drink". Searched this on the internet with no success. I expect that "MODESTO" refers to California. Anybody have any ideas?

Happy Hunting,
--Bert

Attachments

• SeatedQuarter187x_Rogers_sm.jpg
    SeatedQuarter187x_Rogers_sm.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 562
  • SeatedDateCloseup.jpg
    SeatedDateCloseup.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 523
  • SeatedCutSliver.jpg
    SeatedCutSliver.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 526
  • BarToken_Rogers_sm.jpg
    BarToken_Rogers_sm.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 518
The scrape at the 2 o'clock position looks shiny still, meaning it could have happened during the recovery process. I agree with BCK I see a 4 at the end. Congrats, great hunt!

EDIT: just read it looks the same as the rest of the coin... very odd....

Odd someone would scratch off a number

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring and 1876 love token

Tonight I did some further research on the internet and found "Zurla Modesto" listed in the "Eighteenth Annual Report of the State Commissioner of Excise of the State of New York" (for the year ending September 30,1913). Zurla Modesto is listed as having a business at 328 106th St. in NYC. If this person (or business) was paying NY State Excise Tax, then products or services were being provided... One example of a "product" would be alcohol. The "good for 5c(ent) drink" expression on the token leads me to believe it was a restaurant or bar.

Also, the scratched-out number also appears to me to possibly have been a "4"... From what I can tell, the 1874 version of this had a pair of 'arrow heads' - one on either side of the date. All the other 1870's versions did not. This coin clearly does not have those arrows. I've included images of example 1874 and 1875 quarters.

Attachments

• seated-liberty-1874.jpg
    seated-liberty-1874.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 439
  • 1875-seated-liberty-quarter.jpg
    1875-seated-liberty-quarter.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 436
Nice finds
It is odd that someone would scratch the number off but I guess
it was for a reason.

Looks like its 1877, 74 would have arrows.

Good hunting!

I agree they were board and did that killing time. That coin is in awesome shape otherwise!!

No arrows either side of the date rules out 1873 and 1874.

My hunch is that someone wanted to alter the date for whatever reason. Something I can’t put my finger on looks a bit off, I can’t see it properly on my phone anyway. Have you weighed it? (should be 6.22-6.25 grams, take into account the missing material) Should be 24.3mm in diameter, regardless of date.

I see a 7. It looks identical to the 7 next to it
I can see it clear as day.
110% that is a 1877. Zoom in so your screen only has the 7 &the scratched one. You will see the seven and every where else the scratches go into the coin. Where the seven was, is flush but no scratches go into the coin.
Too bad cuz thats a really nice condition coin.
I grew up in kittery maine. And still live just across the border in New Hampshire. We have the best history around us. I LOVE it. (Except this cold)

Attachments

• attachment-1.jpg
    attachment-1.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 393
What else could it be? !!!

Its a Massive Buried Treasure Clue!!!!! 187 degrees from where you found the coin, take 13 paces as the stars denote with the slash mark, sit down on a stump and look over your right shoulder in the position of the figurine for the next Clue!!

I'll take 10% of your finds as my reward for the assist!...Which is fair, seeings how a certain California reprobate on this Forum unabashedly charges 30% for His commission...Good thing I got to you first! :laughing::laughing:

I see a 7. It looks identical to the 7 next to it
I can see it clear as day.
110% that is a 1877. Zoom in so your screen only has the 7 &the scratched one. You will see the seven and every where else the scratches go into the coin. Where the seven was, is flush but no scratches go into the coin.
Too bad cuz thats a really nice condition coin.
I grew up in kittery maine. And still live just across the border in New Hampshire. We have the best history around us. I LOVE it. (Except this cold)

I am seeing the remains of a '5'. The upper left corner seems to match a '5'.

A '7' is a bit more fancy at that spot than a '5'.

What else could it be? !!!

Its a Massive Buried Treasure Clue!!!!! 187 degrees from where you found the coin, take 13 paces as the stars denote with the slash mark, sit down on a stump and look over your right shoulder in the position of the figurine for the next Clue!!

I'll take 10% of your finds as my reward for the assist!...Which is fair, seeings how a certain California reprobate on this Forum unabashedly charges 30% for His commission...Good thing I got to you first! :laughing::laughing:

Hey Mud,

I'll have my people talk with your people and perhaps we can come to a mutually profitable arrangement... :detector:

--Bert

Has anyone else besides me noticed the deformity of the 7,,,a glob at the bottom? That coin may have been tricked with in other ways. That's likely why it was scraped like it was.

OMG Doc... what a beautiful coin that was before it was defaced, and pretty fresh from the mint. That must have been a heartbreaker. Nice photos and close-up.
Jim

Back
Top Bottom