Today's Bling....

(Heavy)

Elite Member
We had rain in ChicagoLand today and it was just enough to get me to the park without becoming a roasted peanut. 3 hours later, a sack of clad and two rings for my pirate chest :D

101_0661.jpg

for you Whites fans;
the small copper was 49-VDI at 3 inches
and the beautiful Pink Tourmaline gem stoned plated was 52-VDI at 2 inches

Now I might have blown by the plated ring but V3i allows you to individually select any tone for any VDI. I have experimented with several plated rings (gold and other) to find plated in a very tight range. My machine will scream like high silver when 51-53 VDI hits for these plated rings as well as my selected small womens gold rings and larger mens bands.

Basically I have found pleasure in hearing the high silver tone for the jewlery I need to dig and a dropped tone for all other. I know it might sound silly but hearing that high silver tone first is motivational, then sizing up the target and checking the 3 frequency line up. (it always lines up on coin and ring when you are shallow hunting... depth causes smear)

That being said I swear I knew that 52 VDI was a plated ring before I broke ground looking for it
imagesCA2ZT3C7.jpg

Cool. So the ring is plated but the stone is real?

Pink Tourmaline is beautiful but cheap, I'm sure its real. Had they just mounted it on 925 it would have tripled the cost of this ring so I get plating, but i'm no expert on stones.... yet :lol:

Nice finds Chicago. Yesterdays rains were a nice reprieve, and got us out for a little bit too. Look at the stone through a 10x. If there are inclusions the stone is real. Pink Tourmaline runs anywhere from about $15.00 up depending on cut, color, clairity, and caratweight. Pink Tourmaline is our national gemstone btw.

HH,
Gemmy

Nice finds Chicago. Yesterdays rains were a nice reprieve, and got us out for a little bit too. Look at the stone through a 10x. If there are inclusions the stone is real. Pink Tourmaline runs anywhere from about $15.00 up depending on cut, color, clairity, and caratweight. Pink Tourmaline is our national gemstone btw.

HH,
Gemmy

what is a handy spectical/microscope thingy I might purchase to view stones and stamps in the field? sorry I have no clue to a 10x. Kellyco sent me some little plastic magnifier with 2 power choices and that's pretty much all I have for close ups right now.

Nice stuff - why are you so interested in plated stuff though? I toss all my plated rings and junk jewelry in a pile and forget about it. I'd rather find a quarter than a plated ring.

Nice stuff - why are you so interested in plated stuff though? I toss all my plated rings and junk jewelry in a pile and forget about it. I'd rather find a quarter than a plated ring.

I am interested in at least one ring a hunt before I call it a day, any ring will do :lol: Plus I was noting that the plated rings get over looked to easily on your machines but actually they are in a very narrow range to ID one. I know all machines don't allow for individual VDI tone assignments but you can make mental note and dig that 50 something VDI just for the elevated probabilty it is a plated ring
untitled.jpg

Back
Top Bottom