In desperate need of new sites.

CapNRon

I got out for a good 4-5 hour hunt at a 100 year old city park today. I was really exited to finally get out there and give this site a try. I was completely skunked. I believe that this place is completely hunted out. I still found tons of pull tabs, but they were just 2" deep. In total I only found 4 cents today. Do you guys stop hunting a site after getting nothing? I was in the "dig it all" mode too, and still couldn't even find anything. I only have a month or two left before the freeze so I just need to find a couple new site fast. Then I will be able to research during the winter. Does anyone have any public style sites to recommend other than city parks?

Beaches, curb strips, the areas around schools, gravel parking lot if any schools near you have them, ect. These are the first that come to mind, but it really depends on what you are looking to find.

Remember, no place is ever hunted out.

Sounds like a good site

I hunted a old park in Grand Rapids Michigan. Hunted by hundreds if not thousands over the years and still come out with a old coin 1904 indian head. All the pull tabs sounds like the park wasn't that well searched out or they would almost be gone by now. You have to think it over where people played in a way or relaxed in a way to lose change and other goodies. Remember coins make their way back up from ground critters and other things. Go slow where you believe there could be goodies and listen for faint sounds. Always worked for me. Keep track of how deep your detecter is finding coins, will help you know if you have a good one or not.
Had a $69 Detctron in 1973 A $350 Garrett a year or two later White's Eagle ll 1985 to 1993 miss it someone took it Now have a White's M6 and learning it hoping for The Eagle ll deep finds of 10 to 12 inches deep. Did find a Wheatie 10 reading down in the ground. Happy hunting!!!

When I am on a thin streak, a day at the beach detecting. Helps the old Zen.
Take a look at the local, Public works department projects. And plan working the replacement side walk strip in the off hours. The above posts, have some great ideas. Good luck

Finding in poor locations it seems

Yesterday with the dollar something I got a 1939 Wheatie didn't know it until i got home. Today same sidewalk to curb found another Dollar something and another story from someone passing by about detecting. Right now surfing for Clad Silver and older pennies. And any gold that might be there one and only Nickle had me hoping for a gold wedding band.
M6 bye White's and a screwdriver had the sod knife too but didn't want to upset property owners digging a hole in their grass.

When I am on a thin streak, a day at the beach detecting. Helps the old Zen.
Take a look at the local, Public works department projects. And plan working the replacement side walk strip in the off hours. The above posts, have some great ideas. Good luck

Wow, Thanks for the info, just checked my cities website, and found 2 streets that are having sidewalk tear outs, that I would have never drove down.:D

Try any fields where they have carnvals or fetivals. Like others said churchs that have outing for the members on site. Any gathering places.

Next Monday I am hitting a place that will be holding a fall festival this weekend.

In parks that have been hit hard I dig only the deep stuff. I know I may be missing some shallow goodies, but you really do end up with the oldies. Here is my approach.

I get a feel for the turf. If the grass is a lush green and the trowel goes in the ground without much effort and the soil is a dark brown or even close to black in color then I know that the soil is well hydrated and therefore the coins tend to sink more in this soil then the really hard/rocky soil. If I am in this sort of turf then I shoot for the really deep stuff that is at least 5+ inches deep.
If the turf is dryer/rocky then I will dig shallower targets. The soil here is a light to medium brown color, very dry and dusty and with rocks everywhere. I found my 1875 Seated Dime in no more than 3-4 inches down in the dry tough soil. I just found my 1851 Large Cent in at least 10inches of the lush soft soil. You can get a good idea of the soil type by how thick and lush green the grass is.

There has got to be good stuff there, you just got to go slow, overlap swings and shoot deep if you can.

A park that old, unless it's pocket sized, just can't be hunted out. Places like that sometimes take several visits until you start finding decent stuff. People have most likely cleared out the easy pickings, evidenced by the lack of clad...With a layer of old style ring pulltabs, if that's what they were, at 2", just means the silver's deeper underneath or alongside 'em. Keep digging, you'll score...

I just read an article about detecting old canals and irrigation ditches during times when the water is low or gone.
People swam and fished over the decades and lost coins :grin: They would have been hard to find under water, of course.
I'm doing research on the main irrigation canal that ran through my town since the mid 1800s. Parts of it still exist as dry banks along streets and between buildings, etc.

In desperate need of new sites

I know what you mean, today I searched an old road along the Chippewa River. Lot of history in the area. I walked about two miles to the river, found
4 cents also! Just got into some serious searching,THUNDER STORM! pouring rain, I took a short cut back to the car, saved a mile:crying: I should know better than to trust the weather guy! It has been a couple weeks since my last silver! I need to do more research and find new areas also!.HH..C-Dog

Back
Top Bottom