Hello from East TN

redgeek

Hi,
My name is Steve and I'm considering getting into the hobby. I was thinking it could be a fun thing for my daughter and I to do together. Unfortunately, I just found out the area I was mostly considering searching, which is a local river bank, is owned by the TVA and they do not allow metal detecting anymore (if anyone knows otherwise, please let me know but it looks like they used to allow it by permit but now don't allow it at all, since around 2012 or so).

What are some other good areas to consider? I own about 4 acres, bordered on one side by a creek so I figured I would probably start there. Not really looking to travel that far since life keeps me pretty busy.

Equipment wise I was looking at the Teknetics Alpha 2000, or the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV. I've found a lot of info about the Tracker IV and it seems solid, but haven't found as much about the Alpha. Anyone have experience with both?

I look forward to learning more and deciding whether to take up this hobby! Thanks in advance.

Welcome from Winnsboro, South Carolina !!!!

Great that you want to make it a family hobby and include your daughter !

As far as detecting spots in your area, maybe when any other Tennessee members see your post they can help with that.

I'm not familiar with the Alpha, but the Tracker IV is an entry level detector, but is pretty good for an entry level detector !

The Bounty Hunter Tracker IV is a really good budget level detector, a great deal for the low price, I found a good video someone made to help those who are new to the Tracker IV -

Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Review Demonstration and How To Operate

:mder:_____:mder: _____:mder:_____:mder:

Hello from Montana, I grew up in East Tennessee.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum Steve. I certainly would start with your four acres. I’ll bet you find some incredible stuff there.
Aim higher on detector choices for some depth and one you can grow into. IMHO
Good luck!

As a fellow Tennessean and metal detector..ist
TVA owns just about everything here but normally I have no problem going into a designated swimming area and detecting in the water. Land I do not touch and my argument is this... plenty of kids make sandcastles on the beach area, detecting in the water is really no different.

I haven't had anyone throw me out yet from a swim area but I think its easier to not ask if you just working your way in the water. Anytime I have called to ask anyone connected with TVA it just results in a flat no.

Equipment wise I was looking at the Teknetics Alpha 2000, or the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV. I've found a lot of info about the Tracker IV and it seems solid, but haven't found as much about the Alpha. Anyone have experience with both?

Hello Steve and welcome to the hobby and forum!

The BH Tracker IV is a good beginners model, and especially handy around tot lots. It is purely a beep and dig machine. The analog needle is a visual indicator the detector found something and is no use at all in deciding depth or what you found. In my two Tracker IV's I opened them up and clipped the meter's black wire lead on the back to save the batteries and to get rid of the distraction.

The Alpha 2000 is the start of the Teknetics Greek detectors, and as such typically skipped over. At the price point it is cheaper to stay with the Tracker IV, or spend $50 more for the more common Delta 4000 - all Bounty Hunter/Teknetics/Fisher are made by the same company First Texas Products.

I owned the Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 shortly after its release (compared by some to a Fisher F4), and like most the display ID is unstable on coins at 3" or more. Honestly I paid near $300 for it back then and sold it after a dozen hunts. However it can be had for only $99 at CostCo now and shipped if needed making it a deal. At that price it is worth getting as it places it at the Tracker IV price, with more features (ground balance among them) and a screen.

Again though if you have more to spend than $100 I'd still suggest a Teknetics Delta 4000 or better, you will be much happier. There is a reason a near $300 detector with ground balance is now selling for $99 brand new, regardless of some review praise.

Again though if you have more to spend than $100 I'd still suggest a Teknetics Delta 4000 or better, you will be much happier. There is a reason a near $300 detector with ground balance is now selling for $99 brand new, regardless of some review praise.

Thanks for the advice, I think I am going to go with the Delta 4000. Pretty sure you're right that I would outgrow the other models too fast, and there really isn't that much of a price difference.

Thanks for the advice, I think I am going to go with the Delta 4000. Pretty sure you're right that I would outgrow the other models too fast, and there really isn't that much of a price difference.

Your welcome, and it would be a great upgrade over the other detectors. It will also save you more money over a new upgrade soon.

Buying straight from the Teknetics factory offers the best price with a code (click the text "code" on the page to get a shopping cart code by entering a zip code) and free shipping. You also don't have to worry about a counterfeit machine buying factory direct, USA made, as it seems China loves to counterfeit detectors. I bought some things from the Teknetics website lately, and they shipped next-day via FedEx Express.

The Delta 4000 comes in two stocked options, with the 8" concentric coil (as found on the Tracker IV, EuroTek, etc) or a 11" DD coil (on Fisher F44, F5, etc). The difference is price, again $50 which seems to be a trend. You can always later upgrade to 11" DD if you chose as well. That is always the problem, there is always something for a bit more money, but eventually everyone has a limit. See here for what the difference is between concentric and DD coils - besides price. There are other coils you can upgrade to later, see the chart, or get one such as a Nel Sharpshooter (my upgraded coil and would fit the Delta 4000 too as an example).

The advantages beyond the upgraded machine itself compared to the others is the accessories. For example if/when you decide to upgrade the machine to a more advanced Teknetics or Fisher machine in most cases the search coils, covers, etc will work on the new machine too. At least they will on the Gamma 6000, G2, Gold bug, Gold Bug Pro, F5, and some on the Omega 8500 such as coils.

Of if you want to try something else entirely later then of course it will make a great back-up detector, or can be sold or traded at a local metal detector dealer, the forum classifieds, or of course eBay. I find on average from my upgrades I tend to loose a average of 30% on any brand detector over the cost I paid for brand new.

There are too many options, too little money, and always a bigger "upgrade" coil/machine/accessory. I spent a week looking over reviews, prices, videos, and reading anything I could - before buying my current detector on reentering the hobby. I hope with my 8th detector now (that has been recorded in my spreadsheet at least), and I even upgraded the coil already, I will be over the upgrading bug for awhile. :laughing:

Whatever you do decide to get, I hope you find plenty of good targets with it. Happy Hunting.

Back
Top Bottom