Looks like a trigger from a flintlock?

Rad1sh

I dug this in Friday. Can’t tell if it is from a toy or real. It was 13 inches deep and the tone sounded like a shallow dime.
06fed692b5f0b942e151d8209e09272f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of the flint locks I've worked on the trigger guard is separate from the trigger group. With saying that, it still could be since almost everyone and anyone made guns in those days.

I would say with confidence it is still an old trigger group (1800s). I'll dig around and see if I can find a matching one. The hole up front should be for a sling mount making it a rifle trigger.

Looks to well-made for a toy in my opinion. Sling swivels attached at the front of the trigger guard were common on CW era rifles. I bet you can find a match to a photo pretty quick.

Nice find, wonder where the rest of the parts are.

Mike

I plan to do a low and slow pass of the area. I had my 4yo with me so i couldn't get into it. I plan to hit the site later on this week and dig everything. it certainly does not feel like a toy. but I am no expert on old gun parts. I was looking at flintlocks. I will look for other guns today as well.

There's still wood around the back screw. That tells me the rest of it could be there too.

I found this similar piece digging on an old park in Durham NC.
Expert in guns said he though it was from a toy...

Attachments

• trigger2.jpg
    trigger2.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 166
is it brass? most of these toys don't seem to be actual brass.

Attachments

• toy trigger.jpg
    toy trigger.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 175
  • toy trigger 2.jpg
    toy trigger 2.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 172
I have found a few, just not the exact match yet. I had no idea how many styles there are of this!

The pics of toys I find do seem more similar than the pics of percussion muskets.

Attachments

• toy musket.jpg
    toy musket.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 205
  • Toy-Musket-Rifle.jpg
    Toy-Musket-Rifle.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 164
Back
Top Bottom