Big Bulbous Brass

GLASSHOPPER1955

Elite Member
This may be an EZ one for you all. Made of brass, 8" long fitting to fitting, and 2" wide, pretty heavy. 1944 Pepsi bottle minus the labels (also found) for size perspective. Some guesses/ID's and then I'll say where it was found.

Attachments

• DSCN2027x.jpg
    DSCN2027x.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 437
  • DSCN2028x.jpg
    DSCN2028x.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 422
Last edited:
Based on the adapter type, adapters on both ends, and robust construction, I'd say it is an inline filter for a gas under pressure.

Probably a filter off machinery, I can't remember working on an old vehicle where it would have been that big and brass. In the older trucks and cars I've worked on they tend to be smaller and usually made from glass with a cartridge filter inside or no filter at all (using gravity in the glass as the filter).

I found something about half that size once and it turned out to be a tractor grease cup, so maybe an old tractor part?

Well, you guys may be on the right track. I dug it at an old gas station site that was gone sometime by the 1950s. Lots of bottle caps, broken pop bottles, pieces of metal, etc. Found part of a Sinclair gas pump globe too.

I wonder, could it be from a compressed air line?

Attachments

• DSCN1909.jpg
    DSCN1909.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 363
Am thinking it is a dryer for the gas in ac/freezer systems. These days they tend to be copper, at least in home use units..but industrial system might have bit more heavy duty one.

Voriax

That was a cool looking gas pump globe!

Attachments

• SINCLAIR_ETHYL_G180_WM__09995.1361478187.1280.1280.jpg
    SINCLAIR_ETHYL_G180_WM__09995.1361478187.1280.1280.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 272
That was a cool looking gas pump globe!

Yeah when I first searched the location I found the usual (mostly broken) bottles and then bunches of rusted bottlecaps, then some metal pieces and the piece of the Sinclair globe. Then I realized it was an old gas station site which also had a house on the property as well. Other than the small dump, you cannot tell there was anything ever there it is so grown over. I did find a photo online from circa 1930s-40s showing part of the house but the gas station is out of the picture's view.

Back
Top Bottom