Where does your research start?

CarsonChris

Elite Member
Wondering where most of you start your research? Maps, books, library, historical articles, or finding locations driving by?

Most of my research starts with historical maps and evolves from there. Usually after I’ve found a name on a map then I go to google. Then books. Online books if available but hardcover if not.

I'm constantly on historic aerials. I like to know what my sites used to look like back in 1938, which is the earliest imagery available for my area. When looking for cellar holes, or anything older than 1938, I use historic map works. I can view maps that are relatively accurate that go back to 1870. I really need to get some more books about my area.

Googling "name of area I'm in" plus a tagline following it like civil war, old, etc. Library of Congress website has given me the bulk of the maps and photos I use for reference.

I like to drive along old dirt roads in early winter, after all of the leaves are gone, and there is a light, even covering of snow.

You can more easily see old foundations and cellar holes.

Look for big maples close to the road too.

Mark the spots on a map or take GPS coordinates.

I like to use 1/50000 topographic maps and UTM references.

Then I can further check the spots using Google Earth etc.

Pretty much same as you. Full collection of maps, especially plat maps with old building locations. Secondly books, old history are a favorite. Then chase details with google and any other options I can find like local historical societies. Chasing history is fun off-time pursuit for me.

Also helps to join historical societies / museums, and docent your time. That might involve ~6 hr. per month volunteer work. Where you might man a desk, sort papers, give museum tours, etc...

Then with those credentials, you are the "fox guarding the henhouse". I've gotten into back-room white glove rooms at other museum's file cabinets, simply by flashing those badges. And the song & dance of "doing research", blah blah

I'm constantly on historic aerials. I like to know what my sites used to look like back in 1938, which is the earliest imagery available for my area. When looking for cellar holes, or anything older than 1938, I use historic map works. I can view maps that are relatively accurate that go back to 1870. I really need to get some more books about my area.

I need to add that!

Also helps to join historical societies / museums, and docent your time. That might involve ~6 hr. per month volunteer work. Where you might man a desk, sort papers, give museum tours, etc...

Then with those credentials, you are the "fox guarding the henhouse". I've gotten into back-room white glove rooms at other museum's file cabinets, simply by flashing those badges. And the song & dance of "doing research", blah blah

Another thing I need to add to my repertoire

Since I hunt the water only..... I do just about all of the above but I seen no one mentioned FB community pages. Some you can get in without having to give much information. I'll go thru there Photo's posted by members looking for old pictures, and lots of times the ones that put them up will share stories also.

Attachments

• OBN-0004.jpg
    OBN-0004.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 405
Since I hunt the water only..... I do just about all of the above but I seen no one mentioned FB community pages. Some you can get in without having to give much information. I'll go thru there Photo's posted by members looking for old pictures, and lots of times the ones that put them up will share stories also.

I’ve been doing that lately!

Talk to your neighbors especially the older ones.

That works great too! I had a old guy come down one day as I was hunting this small beach, he limped down and set on his pier. I said, he is going to say something to me about being in here.. I waited about 15 minutes then slowly worked my way over to him. Got to be a real friendly old guy, I called him Bromo...Now we are great friends and I stop by and see him time to time. Always take him HotDogs with no onions. He has always got something new to tell me every time I come by. One of his best tips was the spot I was hunting behind his home, backed up to the water. There use to be a swing across the river on the other side, opposite the swim hole. Said they would swim across to the other side of the river and swing out into the water. Got me several golds from that tip...Thanks to my buddy Bromo..90 plus years old.

OnXHunt....tells you what is private and what is government owned land. Also tells you the name of private property owners. Historic Aerials is awesome. Historic Map Works gets you the oldest information but it’s more plats and hand drawings, no aerial photos(no planes back then)....

Not sure that many have one set process. It more than likely changes with each site, each time. For me the starting point changes dramatically based on how i discovered or learn about the site and what type of site it is.

With limited time, i have to choose between hunt time and outbound research time, and i would generally choose hunt time. So this leaves internet research time as the most productive.

Depends on the site. I tend to be a drive around and see what "catches my eye" type of guy. If it's an occupied property, I'll usually stop right in and try to talk to 'em. If not, the GIS is my first step to get the sales history and owner's info.

I find research a real struggle...it's easy enough getting online maps ect back to say 1850 's, but that is not much help if you are looking for say a medieval market, or unrecorded Roman sites..

If you are in the US, check your county's GIS website as well.

You can easily look up ownership of properties as well as when buildings were built using property cards.

Along with that, most have interactive maps and some even have historical maps that you can overlay.

My county, for example, has historical aerial maps dating back to 1936 that you can quickly switch between historical and current day views.

Back
Top Bottom