• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Unreal, Morgan #2 *UPDATE*

rat-fink : Is there erosion going on @ So. CA beaches ? How did you manage that ? Or is this @ some protected inlet that's not connected to regular erosion-rules ?

I LUV the reveal sequence photos ! Hope it's a good one !

Not much erosion going on, but we do have some nice tide +/- action going on. Hopefully get some erosion soon. This area not affected by the tides, this area dry sand and deep. Looking for the deepest targets that often come with a sketchy vdi.

They are digging and building a footpath. They have been excavating a lot of sand..

:dingding: That deserves the dinger! I don't think I'll ever find anything like that on a beach here. Truly amazing find and a big CONGRATS to you!

I can't believe the 19th century coins that are turning up this week at our local beaches.
Your Morgan and Davy Jones 1869 Seated Dime just incredible!
So your 1895 Morgan is rare. I can't tell from your pictures what the mint mark is. It's located on the reverse right above the D and O in the word DOLLAR. An O mint mark would be New Orleans 450,000 minted. S mint mark being San Francisco 400,000 minted. Both are Rare...
If there is no mint mark than that would be a PROOF only 880 minted. If it was a proof even in bad shape could be worth five figures!
An O or S mint are still valuable coins even in poor condition $200-$500.
Be careful with the coin don't try and clean it with anything.
Please report back on finding the mint mark.........

Rolling sand... only took 100 years. :)

Value? To a true collector it’s worth scrap value. Those boys are brutal when it comes to a coin’s value. However as somebody who has never sold any of my finds I’d call it priceless. And since I have personally never found a bone fide silver dollar I’d have to add a few more dollars to the mix.

Nice job.

Congrats! Are you sure it is silver? I've seen fake morgans before, specially the rare years.

Awesome though either way. Hope it is real.

Awesome find. WTG
Never found anything above a silver Washington on my FL beaches...did find a smoothed out Ike dollar in the surf once.
A silver dollar, land, beach or surf would be so kool!!
DL

So turns out my subject line was more accurate than I realized. I found out today from an old timer in the area that he too had found silver dollars... and when they were taken to a dealer they turned out counterfeit!! Uh-oh, time to take a closer look at mine.

Since this coin is cut on the edge and looks a bit chunky, I sanded it down and revealed a thick silver layer over a mixture of copper and another metal! :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:Yes, I am a bit bummed over this. Both are counterfeit. The old timer shared with me the story of how a bunch of smuggled coins ended up on the beach, which I won't share here, but is also fascinating. I guess having a smuggled Morgan copy is still pretty cool, but not nearly as cool as the real deal. Lesson learned, there's always more to learn.

I may need to enter my own story into the contest thread I created :laughing:

So turns out my subject line was more accurate than I realized. I found out today from an old timer in the area that he too had found silver dollars... and when they were taken to a dealer they turned out counterfeit!! Uh-oh, time to take a closer look at mine.

Since this coin is cut on the edge and looks a bit chunky, I sanded it down and revealed a thick silver layer over a mixture of copper and another metal! :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:Yes, I am a bit bummed over this. Both are counterfeit. The old timer shared with me the story of how a bunch of smuggled coins ended up on the beach, which I won't share here, but is also fascinating. I guess having a smuggled Morgan copy is still pretty cool, but not nearly as cool as the real deal. Lesson learned, there's always more to learn.

Disappointing AND very interesting. You're right though. Still high on the coolness factor.

Ok. You put on a contest where the winner wins a silver dollar on who can concoct the best story. Now you are going to enter your own contest where you are the judge. Congratulations ! You won ! Now you just gave yourself a counterfeit silver dollar. Wouldn't this mean the whole thing is "fake" ? I like it. Finally there is a writer better than Mud !

Based on your first photos, I wanted to suggest it might be a counterfeit. The stand-out for me was the corrosion that looked like rust. But I didn't want to poo poo on your find. :(

Also, I have very little experience on how Morgans look coming out of the ocean after 100 years. LOL

Bottom line is, I'm sad it turned out to likely not be real. That's a bummer. But you had a dang good time with it, which is awesome!

Skippy

Well then I take back the atteboy I gave you earlier !!

Just kidding, it's still a cool find with an interesting story :)

I agree Tom , still cool finds. Some counterfeits are actually collectable.

A few years ago my banker called me and asked if I could come and take a look at some silver dollars a teller took in. They know I am a collector and keep an eye out for anything unusual that comes along. Turns out the teller paid a woman a buck apiece for these silver dollars. I informed the manager they were indeed fakes and I offered to pay her a dollar for each of them. She took me up on it and I went home with the coins. Technically they should have turned those coins in to the Feds. There were 30 coins originally but I've had some fun with a few of my detector friends. Like tossing them out in the sand in front of them and watching the reaction when they find them:laughing::laughing::laughing:
Like rolling on the ground laughing:lol:

Attachments

• IMG_0505.jpg
    IMG_0505.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0506.jpg
    IMG_0506.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0507.jpg
    IMG_0507.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 92
Back