• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

What is your favorite older low tech detector?

Haha. Those are fighting words! My congrats to an instigator.

Well, it is old, and arguably "low" tech. It's a classic though, and one of the "best" metal detectors ever created.

I love that it's an S-shaft, uses AA batteries, is waterproof and its control box form factor.

I'm keeping my White's M6 .It has good depth and separation , durably built , nice balance and uses either double AA batteries or a rechargeable power source .It also has a great selection of coils available and I'm also still able to get it repaired by White's if need be . I like the knobs and switches also .
I sold my M6 last year. I liked the detector and it found a lot of good stuff but I hated the knobs. Seems like every time I either put my arm in or out of the strap it would move the knobs and mess up my settings.

bought a Compass RM 6 around 1970's - it "Never" lied LOL but it died ~1995 or so, I miss the old guy

I loved the old Compass machines, My first machine was a RM-7A, very soft threshold, and when it whispered, it was good.Found some amazing things with that machine!

I'm into minelabs these days but I still use and will never part with my old MXT Tracker series. She has been a great relic machine over the yrs. and will hunt any soil .

I'm keeping my White's M6 .It has good depth and separation , durably built , nice balance and uses either double AA batteries or a rechargeable power source .It also has a great selection of coils available and I'm also still able to get it repaired by White's if need be . I like the knobs and switches also .

arguably, one of the best coin sniffers of all time!..whitey "pitched it"
in favor of the mx-5 that went nowhere, then reinserted it into the line up.
guys have known for a long,long time just how good it really is. been around since '06 originally replaced the pro-xl. a coin and jewelry "vacuum!" and is still getting it done!,especially with the 5.3 eclipse concentric coil.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I have the M6 also and love it.
Just got a Simplex last week and its pretty impressive. Haven't used it to much but the M6 might just be a back up now.

What is your favorite older low tech detector(s) that you won't sell or wish you hadn't and why?
For me:

The White's Classic II SL- great balance, quiet, switchable coils and trigger all metal pinpointer.

The Fisher 1235X- deep and no motion pinpointer.

Whites Classic II SL without question...still have mine, but it's a BEAST on AA's, LOL.

My Compadre...as a primary jewelry hunter it has paid for itself 10 times over, or more.
Also have a Mojave and that seems to be just as good or better.

And I still have my old F2, don't pull it out anymore for myself but I keep it around for guests.
I was massively and shockingly successful with that one too.

Yeah, the F2 is my "low-tech" unit as well. Can't say enough good things about it!

Fisher CZ-6 quicksilver

I bought it in 1989 I think. Its my go to machine still. I hunt with my son and he uses an AT-Pro and a smoke him most of the times :D

Mike

Not sure about the low-tech aspect but one I hope to use again is a White's Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro Plus. My dad bought one new from trading his rifles/saving money shortly after I got in on detecting as a kid and it would find anything if it was around. I've seen a few close matches years after such as a 6000 DI Pro, but finding the exact model at a decent price in working condition has been hard to come by so far.

Low-tech wise perhaps a Tesoro Compadre would be a good one to have handy for family/friends/tot lots. Although I've been looking at White's Coinmaster Classic III with Mr Bill's mods added (through PM's I think I got the details for all the mods) off and on for years.

Too many detectors and not enough time. :lol:

I still bring out my Garrett GTAx 750 once in a while. It's 20 year old technology but the machine is simple to use and has pretty good discrimination.

Back
Top Bottom