ID Tags?

Diabolik

Elite Member
I was wandering around in my local park and found these tags in separate areas but both were reasonably close to the railroad tracks. I was curious if anyone else has found tags like these and knew what they were from.

I found the 44 wheat under a random pine tree near where some homes were before the park took them over.

Attachments

• FD9307DE-5782-42FD-A15C-85307B7D6143.jpg
    FD9307DE-5782-42FD-A15C-85307B7D6143.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 264
It looks like what we call brass in construction .You get a tool on the job site the tool handler would give you the tool for your brass . you turned the tool in and he would return your brass. if you did not turn the tool in it came out of your check. I was a pipe welder/pipe fitter.

It looks like what we call brass in construction .You get a tool on the job site the tool handler would give you the tool for your brass . you turned the tool in and he would return your brass. if you did not turn the tool in it came out of your check. I was a pipe welder/pipe fitter.

Thanks. Interesting. I never heard of that but it makes really good sense.

I’ve examined them closely and there are no other markings. I found them buried in an area about 25 feet from the tracks in an area that was totally coal laden. I thought they might have been freight tags but most of those had some marking from the railroad it seems.

Those kind of tags could really be from many types of usages. Tool checks, baggage tags, who knows? I've even seen trees marked with them.

Yeah, that is what I was thinking. The area around where I found these has a long history with the railroad and was originally a mining town. I have found areas all along the rails that appear to have been used for dumping stuff. Lots of coal, pig iron pellets, rail spikes and miscellaneous hardware.

Not the best conditions for metal detecting.

If the area has mines they could be miner's tags. Every time a miner enters the mine there is a hook board and the miner places the tag on the board so there is always an accurate headcount of who is below. LINK

Back
Top Bottom