• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Trying to date very worn seated silver coin. Help!

detectorben

Elite Member
Ok so this is a recent find that was found in a park founded in 1891. This was found in a spill with a 1906 and 1900 coin. I don't want to give too many details on the other coins because I am working on a video and will post live digs later! After careful consideration and some help from folks on a US coin forum we determined it is a seated dime due to size and the faint arm and pole that can be seen in top right area of coin. This is the arm of lady liberty holding the pole with the cap on the end of it. Now looking at the date area of the coin I cannot see anything in the area of the first 3 numbers but we know it is 18XX. I do see something where the last digit is that resembles the curvature of a 5. But I am not quite sure. What do you guys think? What do you see? Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated.
fc61626d28694a6dd09830adb875c029.jpg
b6b42ae4ede2a905945e1a397ea4c764.jpg

That's a tough one. I see the features you describe, and concur that it probably is a seated dime. You might be able to deduce the date, but for us, we'll need a better close-up shot. Get the right combination of angle, lighting, and magnification, and it looks possible. Cool find!

Very nice find but I would look at it as pointless try to get an exact date since it's so worn. At best it will be a guestamit.

Put a couple drops of silver testing acid on the surface and let it sit for a few seconds, it might bring some detail out, otherwise not visible. It doesnt always work, but I've seen it work more times than not. I'll see if I can dig up the thread, congrats!

As others have said, drop nitric acid on it and hope for the best. I did that on a dateless coin, and all I was left with was a big ugly stain and no date. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom