• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

sword real or fake?

bigbeardboy

Before posting on the mind blowing finds category i'll ask here.

I headed to a new spot but it seemed like everything I found was old. The place definitely was never hunted before. :D Probably because it's only really accessible by bike or walking. Shotgun shells and 1800s iron farm equipment parts where very close to the surface(around 2 inches deep). The musket ball s, which I found lots of were very fairly deep but I presume it's because the lead makes them sink down further. But then I found what I though must have been more farm equipment. So I pulled it out and broke it. BIG mistake :no:
It appears to be an old sword but I'd like some more opinions. My dad said it is unlikely a "period" sword but I sure hope it is!
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Wf8hXyTv4xcPdcw7yc_3KnGQEh6VAx9l

Last edited:
It has a slightly different guard than yours, you have more of a pointed piece, but slight differences between years of production, maker, etc. Overall the cage and blade are the same. If the blade can take any cleaning, you might look for a Maker's mark or information just above the guard on the blade.

This is different from the other swords posted. Notice your dug sword has very little blood fuller. This usually indicates an earlier sword. I would guess by style that it would be late 1700s or early 1800s.

Back
Top Bottom