Curb strip permission?

Monkeys Uncle

Any suggestions/recommendations welcome on how to obtain 'curb strip' permission. Is it the easiest/best way to obtain an okay to search a home owner's yard? :?: TIA and HH!

Can't speak for Texas, but here in the state of Montana, the curb strips, boulevard, parking strips are city owned and therefore public property and ok to detect. No permission is needed. Other states may have different ownership, I know from experience, in some counties in North Dakota, the property owner actually owns the curb strip and to the middle of the street.

Now, if you want to be considerate AND ask to get the ok to detect the front yard, I usually approach the nearby home, knock on the door, and let the homeowner or renter know that I will be out in the curb strip detecting, that it is public property, and that I will be respectful of property, not leave holes or damage anything, and restore where I found a coin or other target back to "good as new" condition. 99% of the time that is no problem, and then I also ask to carefully and respectfully detect their front yard. I would say 95% of the time I get the ok for that too.

Have a good friendly attitude, don't dress like a bum or show up in a suit and tie, ask about the history of the home, show interest, and you should get a good percentage of "YES" answers, good luck!

The area between the sidewalk and the street are street right of ways. Since most cities require the homeowner to mow them some think that the property belongs to them. If confronted just move on down the street.

Thanks. Navy...submariner by chance???

Served on five different submarines as part of the crew. Went to sea on a bunch of them for a week or so. Was tad on one for a 76 day northern run.

Two years on an old LSD out of San Diego showed me that the guy on the boat were fed better, paid better and treated better.

I did 20 and retired as I had two young sons at home who needed their old man home more than 1/3 of the time.

Served on five different submarines as part of the crew. Went to sea on a bunch of them for a week or so. Was tad on one for a 76 day northern run.

Two years on an old LSD out of San Diego showed me that the guy on the boat were fed better, paid better and treated better.

I did 20 and retired as I had two young sons at home who needed their old man home more than 1/3 of the time.

Spent 6 yrs 'active' duty ('68-'74) but never served aboard ship. Dental Prosthetic Tech. Only sea duty was a tour in Subic. Toured a nuclear sub one night that was tied up near Officer's Club. THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!

In many towns/cities the property owner is required to mow the grass in the strip and maintain the integrity of the sidewalk as well. I know this is the case in Baltimore City where my grandparents lived for near fifty years. So as such I'm sure most owners view themselves as "tenants in entirety" with respect to that strip of land and feel they have exclusive use of it even though as noted it's not owned by them. Not ready to try this detecting yet. Too many chances of getting on the bad side of too many owners.

In many towns/cities the property owner is required to mow the grass in the strip and maintain the integrity of the sidewalk as well. I know this is the case in Baltimore City where my grandparents lived for near fifty years. So as such I'm sure most owners view themselves as "tenants in entirety" with respect to that strip of land and feel they have exclusive use of it even though as noted it's not owned by them. Not ready to try this detecting yet. Too many chances of getting on the bad side of too many owners.
Your comments are why I started the thread. As a homeowner myself, I always thought of the curb strip as mine...not theirs, OR the cities. Otherwise...they can come and mow it. :)

Our curb strips are city property but I don't hunt them in front of maintained homes, unless I'm following utility workers that have already made a mess. Any burnt or run down empty homes I'll hunt them, or a big house turned into apartments or business and I will hunt them. The chickens and dogs have the backyard, but we work hard and spend hard earned money keeping the front nice, including the right of way. It would tick me off to see a stranger digging in MY yard even though it's not technically mine.

Back
Top Bottom