Buck and a quarter gallon for gas

I tried to buy gas yesterday, 2 stations I stopped at had cheap gas but they didn't have premium. My car will run off the cheap stuff, but I get much better performance and mileage with premium. I'm going to try again today. I've got a half dozen 5 gallon gas cans I'm thinking of filling if I can find premium. I have been through blizzards and ice storms and tornadoes. I always try to have 10 gallons of gas for the generator and can't help but think this might be a good time to increase my stash. It could take a lot longer to get power after a big storm

Murphy's Law. Gas is cheap but nowhere to go other then the occasion trip to get groceries. Should just buy a tank to bury in my yard and call in a truck to fill it up.

Went to a close by local station yesterday to fill up an extra large gas can with ethanol-free gas for my lawn tractor so we are good for some time with mowing the yard, also filled a couple cans with regular gas for our push mower we use for areas the lawn tractor can't get into. We also have a battery operated chain saw and a battery operated weed-wacker so no need for gas for those.

With 1 1/2 acres of land next to woods we have plenty of yard work to be able to get outdoor exercise and fresh air.

(and I used disposable gloves when using the gas pumps)

We’re gonna have cheap gas, and no where to go. When the shelves go bare, that’s when things get nutz.

A couple of the chains here are having problems getting premium, most stations still have it. Premium was $2.15 unleaded was $1.55. I lose 3-4 mpg with the cheap stuff,and a slight loss of power that's not noticeable if the wife's with me. I'll lose a few mpg's to get gas for $1.55 it's been a very long time since I bought gas that cheap. I do remember when $1.55 was ridiculously expensive.

A couple of the chains here are having problems getting premium, most stations still have it. Premium was $2.15 unleaded was $1.55. I lose 3-4 mpg with the cheap stuff,and a slight loss of power that's not noticeable if the wife's with me. I'll lose a few mpg's to get gas for $1.55 it's been a very long time since I bought gas that cheap. I do remember when $1.55 was ridiculously expensive.

I think the lowest you can remember seeing gas is a measure of how old you are. I may have seen lower, but the lowest I can reliably remember was 29.9 cents/gallon. I will be 63 this year. It was an off-brand gas station, though. 31.9 cents/gallon is the cheapest I can remember brand-name gas.

-- Tom

I think the lowest you can remember seeing gas is a measure of how old you are. I may have seen lower, but the lowest I can reliably remember was 29.9 cents/gallon. I will be 63 this year. It was an off-brand gas station, though. 31.9 cents/gallon is the cheapest I can remember brand-name gas.

-- Tom

I was born in '78. I remember gas in the mid 90s at less than a $1.00 a gallon. I could fill my tank for about 10 bucks. Hearing myself say that, I realize i have become my father.

You have become your father

I was born in '78. I remember gas in the mid 90s at less than a $1.00 a gallon. I could fill my tank for about 10 bucks. Hearing myself say that, I realize i have become my father.
I think we can all relate to that , I see it more all the time :laughing: I recall when gas first got up to $1.00 a gallon, I thought this is crazy , people won't stand for it.

I think we can all relate to that , I see it more all the time :laughing: I recall when gas first got up to $1.00 a gallon, I thought this is crazy , people won't stand for it.

:lol:

….I'm sure some of us can remember as kids buying candy bars for a nickel, a 12oz bottle of soda for a dime, a fast-food hamburger for 15 cents, ect. :lol:

….I'm sure some of us can remember as kids buying candy bars for a nickel, a 12oz bottle of soda for a dime, a fast-food hamburger for 15 cents, ect. :lol:

When I was a kid, I don't remember going to a soda machine often enough to remember the price, but I remember for a short time that Hershey's Chocolate Bars were 5 cents, others were 10 cents, shortly to go to 15 cents.

Anybody old enough to remember when McDonald's signs said "Over 12 sold"? :)

We used to go to Burger Chef occasionally, and we used to get a bucket of chicken at the Red Barn. I still like Roy Rogers, but the one near me burnt up in a 5-alarm fire not too long ago. I hope it comes back.

-- Tom, showing his age...

Still averaging about 2.60 a gallon here in Oregon. Except now we have to pump our own gas. Which doesn’t bother me at all because I would rather do it myself anyways. But it is fun to watch some of the people here try and figure it out.

When I was a kid, I don't remember going to a soda machine often enough to remember the price, but I remember for a short time that Hershey's Chocolate Bars were 5 cents, others were 10 cents, shortly to go to 15 cents.

We used to go to Burger Chef occasionally, and we used to get a bucket of chicken at the Red Barn. I still like Roy Rogers, but the one near me burnt up in a 5-alarm fire not too long ago. I hope it comes back.

When I was a kid the glass soda bottles were reusable and we would collect empties people left sitting around and cash them in at the local High's dairy store for 2 cents each, not bad considering you could get a one scoop ice cream cone for a nickel or a large pretzel stick for a penny :lol:

We had a Gino's fast food within walking distance when I was a kid, they were a direct competition to McDonald's, I worked at it part time at 15 years old, they at some point developed the "Gino Giant" their version of a "Big Mac" and "KFC chicken" originally started being sold at Gino's and later on started independent KFC stores.

Here's some old menus and a pic I found online, I remember the 15 cent hamburgers, but I remember the fries being 11 cents instead of 10 cents :lol:
Ginos_menu.jpgGinos_menu2.jpgGinos_sign.jpg

Still averaging about 2.60 a gallon here in Oregon. Except now we have to pump our own gas. Which doesn’t bother me at all because I would rather do it myself anyways. But it is fun to watch some of the people here try and figure it out.
your town has advanced to the 1960’s! Congrats! /s

I remember seeing these numbers on the Mac d signs. From 1969 and forward.

http://overhowmanybillionserved.blogspot.com/2010/04/history-of-number.html

Last edited:
You guys are making me feel old. Or maybe a relic I remember when McDonalds first started. There was such thing as fast food. Want something that some one else cooked you went to a restaurant. You could get your meal to go. The soda machine had cold water around the glass bottles and a bottle of soda cost a Nickel Cheapest gas I ever saw was in about 1965. Local stations were having a gas war and gas was 24.9.

10-4 when a can of pop went from 10 to 15 cents I was devastated. How dare they? :lol:

Loved those 5-cent Hershey bars. Look at them now.:(

10-4 when a can of pop went from 10 to 15 cents I was devastated. How dare they? :lol:

Loved those 5-cent Hershey bars. Look at them now.:(

They went the way of the 5 and 10 store :laughing:

Don't remember offhand how long it took candy bars to go from 5 cents to 25 cents but I think likely after they starting going over 25 cents is likely when they became a rare purchase for me, and with the price a candy bar is now :shock: an individual candy bar is a very very rare purchase :lol:

(dark chocolate is healthier though)

When the shelves go bare, that’s when things get nutz

Not gonna happen. The only thing in short supply now is TP. My stores are fully stocked, now that the paranoid hoarders have run out of money. No one is worrying about running out of groceries any more.

Back
Top Bottom