Relic Site Silver

Knottyoak

I was out in the woods Jan. 4th, enjoying the fact that it was warm enough to be out at all, and detecting the area around a 1880s building site I found on New Year's Day.

I got an oddball signal, and couldn't decide if it was junk or not, so I dug it up and found an 1858 O seated liberty half dollar

It was about 4" deep. Must have been on edge to give a signal like that, I couldn't believe what I was holding and just sat there and stared at it for a while. Sure glad I didn't pass up the crazy signal.

I sure enjoy hunting at that farm, I offered the coin to the property owner in token of my appreciation, but he wouldn't take it.

Some my pics wouldn't load, bummer.

Attachments

• skr silver 1.jpg
    skr silver 1.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 582
  • skr silver 2.jpg
    skr silver 2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 466
  • skr seated half 2.jpg
    skr seated half 2.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 475
  • 2A08EB58-BF54-45FB-9CB2-1943D70D9E3E.jpg
    2A08EB58-BF54-45FB-9CB2-1943D70D9E3E.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 480
  • 4AA475B2-2A38-4223-8320-CD279C6F2B27.jpg
    4AA475B2-2A38-4223-8320-CD279C6F2B27.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 487
  • BA170C0F-CAA2-40BB-911A-138AADEF5818.jpg
    BA170C0F-CAA2-40BB-911A-138AADEF5818.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 453
Last edited:
I was out in the woods Jan. 4th, enjoying the fact that it was warm enough to be out at all, and detecting the area around a 1880s building site I found on New Year's Day.

I got an oddball signal, and couldn't decide if it was junk or not, so I dug it up and found an 1858 O seated liberty half dollar.

It was about 4" deep. Must have been on edge to give a signal like that, I couldn't believe what I was holding and just sat there and stared at it for a while. Sure glad I didn't pass up the crazy signal.

I sure enjoy hunting at that farm, I offered the coin to the property owner in token of my appreciation, but he wouldn't take it.

Threw that pic in just for fun. Thanks for looking, HH!
Ugh pics not working 😫

Wowowow!! That's a beau-tiful Seated Half! That's one that will be hard to top!

Thanks! It's my best one yet.

Oh pics working now👍 sweet coin!

Thanks!

Congrats on the seated Half! Still on the hunt for one here.

Thanks! Yours is out there waiting for you.

:wow2: That must have been a pretty shocking find! Incredible!

Thanks! I sure wasn't expecting it.

Congrats on the beautiful 1858-O seated half! :woot:

Thanks!

Outstanding!

Thanks!

Awesome save and a beautiful seated half. Congrats. HH Mark

Thanks!

Amazing coin, super congrats! Hope to find a seated some day....

Thanks!

Most impressed with your offer to the property owner, that is the secret to retaining permissions, a little thing called trust goes along way.

The soil was very kind to that seated half. Nice score !

Thanks! The soil there is a mix of eroded granite & rotted leaf litter, must be good for silver. I found a shield nickel in the same type of soil about 200 yd. from there last year and it was so crusty I nearly despaired of ever IDing it.

Great find!
WOW

Thanks!

Most impressed with your offer to the property owner, that is the secret to retaining permissions, a little thing called trust goes along way.

Thanks! It seemed like the right thing to do, and turned out it was. It helped build trust with the owner, and he let me keep the coin. Hopefully both of our karmameter needles jumped a little.

Detector

What kind of detector an coil was used while finding this beautiful coin!!!

Back
Top Bottom