New Member Checklist

Status
Not open for further replies.

sectshun8

Forum Supporter
New Member Checklist

Purpose

- The purpose of this checklist, in essence, is to help us help you. By looking at your profile we can learn many things about you that otherwise we might end up playing 20 questions to figure out. For example, where you live in the world, what type of detector you are using and what kind of experience you have. The more we know about you as a MD'er, the better we as a community can welcome you and help as needed.

1) Edit Your Details in the UserCP
- This is your basic forum profile. Fill in as much as possible, or as much as you feel comfortable with.

2) Configure an Avatar
- Have an MD related image, maybe a picture of a cool find? Size it to meet the specifications and use it!

3) Create your Signature
- Your signature, IMHO, is one of the most important things. It can say a lot about you as a person, whether you choose a quote, or maybe just use it to emphasize who you are and what equipment you use. I for example have my name, my equipment, current location, and a very brief breakdown on my finds for the year.

4) Make an Album
- This is a great way to keep track of your finds, and provides a handy way to host images you want to link to threads about your finds!

5) Read the FAQ
- Especially if you are new to forums in general, this will be an invaluable resource for figuring out how to navigate around the place.

6) Read These
- Curious about the "rules" of MD'ing and also of this forum? Or maybe you need to catch up on MD'ing terminology?
- MD Code of Ethics
- MD Lingo Glossary
- Forum Rules

7) Introduce Yourself
- A nice "How do?" is always appropriate. And we're more than happy to welcome you.

8) Search
- One of the most important features of any forum is the "Search" button. Use it. Maybe a question you have has already been answered. Odds are many of the things you are here wanting to know about, can already be found within the pages of the forum. It just takes an extra second or two to find it.

So all in all, welcome from all of us!
waytogo.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
What a surprising post to see someone make, I have a new avatar. I will post it in the near future.
The current one is Bilbo Baggins, famous for his book, "There and Back." Thats a hint for my new avatar. LOL

In his post, Jimmy makes a very good point that I failed to do when first joining...

"One of the most important features of any forum is the "Search" button. Use it. Maybe a question you have has already been answered. Odds are many of the things you are here wanting to know about, can already be found within the pages of the forum. It just takes an extra second or two to find it."

As a "newbie", I had MANY questions and started firing off threads like there would be no tomorrow. I got answers, but could have saved MUCH time by reading older thread titles...many of my questions had been asked/answered previously.

"Search" button really helped tonight !

In his post, Jimmy makes a very good point that I failed to do when first joining...

"One of the most important features of any forum is the "Search" button. Use it. Maybe a question you have has already been answered. Odds are many of the things you are here wanting to know about, can already be found within the pages of the forum. It just takes an extra second or two to find it."

As a "newbie", I had MANY questions and started firing off threads like there would be no tomorrow. I got answers, but could have saved MUCH time by reading older thread titles...many of my questions had been asked/answered previously.

Hi Lowjiber !

After sending a suggestion to Admins this evening, using the "Contact Us" form, I had an afterthought, i.e. "wouldn't it have been better to send this message to the appropriate Moderator for this particular forum ?" Then I remembered reading your above post right after logging in. So, tried the "Search" button and simply entered "Moderators". It took me right to the thread started by sectshun8, on 8-12-2008, post titled Which Mod for what? and brought me right up to date !

Thanks.......that really helped ! ;)

Todd

I just joined yesterdy and Thanks for the advice!

I have one question. How do I get the solid line at the bottom with additional info such as my model metal detector to show up when I post? I filled out that info in my profile but I don't see it when I reply to anyone.

Nick

When you create a post scroll down below "Submit" and click the box that says "Show My Signature." ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom