Metal Detecting a 1898 School House- VIRGIN SITE

Mpetersen

So next month im going to metal detect a virgin 1898 school house. Who wants to join with me. Reply down below i can have 2 people come.
What kind of coins would i find.
Thanks- Mason P

Well thats a mighty fine offer, honestly something most wouldn't do. Hopefully you find someone who will respect your permission. I would think 9 out of 10 would, but there is always that one guy.

Good luck

Tell people where your from so people have a better idea.

What state? Not that I have time.

I'm working a similar site, but it's difficult to know if it's a virgin site. When I got permission I was told "My cousin said he was going to try to metal detect it years ago but he never got over there." He didn't think anybody had detected it, but in 40+ years of widely available metal detectors, who's to say that nobody hasn't stopped by on some sunny Tuesday afternoon in the middle of May? Also, I'm (sadly) aware of enough people that have detected in places that were off limits but went in anyway.

So far I've found 1 IHP from 1904, a wheatie from 1912, a "world scout" token, and a couple of jewelry pieces. The IHP and token were about 6" down, the wheatie about 8'.

I've been told by family members who's parents went to the school that I probably wouldn't find anything because they were poor starting out in the 1900's. So the shortage of targets could be someone was there before me or they really didn't have much.

JP

Well Mason...it’s impossible to determine if it’s a “virgin” site. You can get info from sources which says that nobody they know of has detected it, but nobody really knows. What WILL tell you something is if you go there and immediately start digging all kinds of high conductor signals(signals any other hunter would’ve dug). Then the “virgin” thing may be true! But I’m an old guy, and when someone tells me there’s a virgin around, I’m always pretty skeptical!
Good luck out there...

Back
Top Bottom