Massive Beach Crowds - Update ! Update #2 !!

KOB

Forum Supporter
Went out to a few local beaches in LA yesterday. Good low tide. Couldn't believe the 1000s upon 1000s of people out on this nice day. Not alot of them laying out on the sand , but walking and getting exercise. Still many were in close groups. You'd think it was the middle of summer. This presented a problem swinging and dodging people. But it was odd not having people come up and ask what I found ,etc. I have a feeling this won't last long. We are getting mixed signals from state officials. They say it's ok to go outside and get exercise , then come on the news and say to use social distancing. Only a few joggers came within 4 or 5' of me. I did good on coins and jewelry. Expecting rain over the next few days. Crowds should thin out. Lots of people not working. It was just a very strange day.

Well....today after the Mayor saw all the people on the beach yesterday , he has closed the parking lots of Santa Monica and Venice beaches. But I'm not sure if the actual beaches themselves are off limits. Just makes parking more tricky for me. If I'm physically not allowed to be on the beach , I will abide. Otherwise....I'm on it like a hobo on a ham sandwich !

Update # 2 - The governor just announced the closure of all state park parking lots making it tougher to park. The party could be over soon. Only thing in my favor is that the beach hunting has been horrible anyways for a long time now. But it is my exercise.

Last edited:
Create your own Social Distance with long wide swings in front of you and drag a long handle scoop behind! :cool3:

Agree that there were far fewer people asking questions yesterday. Did have one lady ask if a tsunami was coming because "so much water was gone" during low tide.:laughing:

Create your own Social Distance with long wide swings in front of you and drag a long handle scoop behind! :cool3:

I do ! But it's kinda hard with this many people walking around. It was unexpected. I would say 50% move out of the way. The other 50 have this entitlement mentality , keep walking straight toward me , expecting me to move out of their way. Then I stop and wait for them to pass. This is the reason why I think so many pedestrians are run over now. They expect the cars to stop for them. Remember , this is LA. This is a big part I could do without living here.

I noticed the same thing- LOTS of people out walking around yesterday. I think part of the reason was that the weather has been so bad the past couple of weeks that people felt compelled to get out and enjoy a beautiful day while they could. More inclement weather starting later today so that will definitely keep a lot more people indoors.

Late morning at Clearwater Beach...eerie! Normally you wouldn’t even be able to see the sand this time of year!

Attachments

• 5C46C5EF-F944-436B-8B37-443FEDDFB0C9.jpg
    5C46C5EF-F944-436B-8B37-443FEDDFB0C9.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 527
Laguna looked like a normal day, found a dime and a penny after 2.5 hours hunting. Not worth it.

Checking out webcams not a sole on local beach..... i noticed the beach WASNT completely re-nurished either so im wondering if they had to stop as well. Siesta.....maybe a half dozen walkers and runners over a long period of time. So maybe people are following instructions. I didnt see any cops on the beach.

Laguna looked like a normal day, found a dime and a penny after 2.5 hours hunting. Not worth it.

Laguna now closed. I did main beach a month ago. Got a cell phone , knife , a few coins. It was bad.

.... So maybe people are following instructions. I didnt see any cops on the beach.

Durned those people for not following instructions. Eh ? Durned those cops for not tossing people in jail and doing all those-imminent-fines. Eh ? :roll:

Durned those people for not following instructions. Eh ? Durned those cops for not tossing people in jail and doing all those-imminent-fines. Eh ? :roll:

I will be the first to durn them all to heck if this gets more out of control than it is now. Durn them and the toilet paper hoarders.

Not much punishment here to get caught out. It is just an infraction, there is no prison or large fines involved.

My Dad is locked in the nursing home room with no contact. Bad heart, one kidney that only works part time, bad thyroid, prostate cancer, and a half dozen less severe conditions. The people defying orders to stay home are putting him and all the others like him at risk. It could kill him even with the best medical care. With the best care he has a chance. He won't be able to get that care if we can't keep the numbers down. People in Europe are dying in hallways alone, because they don't have the equipment for all the victims. Staying home and avoiding people can slow this down.

Do what you want, but you and the others that think it's fine to ignore the Surgeon General should keep your opinions to yourself and stop encouraging others to break the law. This ain't detecting the park this is life and death. It could be yours.

I will be the first to durn them all to heck if this gets more out of control than it is now. Durn them and the toilet paper hoarders.

Not much punishment here to get caught out. It is just an infraction, there is no prison or large fines involved.

My Dad is locked in the nursing home room with no contact. Bad heart, one kidney that only works part time, bad thyroid, prostate cancer, and a half dozen less severe conditions. The people defying orders to stay home are putting him and all the others like him at risk. It could kill him even with the best medical care. With the best care he has a chance. He won't be able to get that care if we can't keep the numbers down. People in Europe are dying in hallways alone, because they don't have the equipment for all the victims. Staying home and avoiding people can slow this down.

Do what you want, but you and the others that think it's fine to ignore the Surgeon General should keep your opinions to yourself and stop encouraging others to break the law. This ain't detecting the park this is life and death. It could be yours.
Sorry to read about your Dad and hope he stays ok!
I agree it’s time to stay home and get things done around the house and not be cavalier about it. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom