Spring break cancelled??

Fishtanked363

We have plans to go to Anna Maria island Florida in two weeks. The wife and other families are having second thoughts because of the virus. If anyone in that area can give me some input on the situation there, it would be appreciated. Are places like restaurants or stores closed? Beaches?
I’ve been looking forward to this trip all winter, so I hope it works out. Thanks.

Huge discussion that many are having to make. No one knows what will happen in two weeks. They are for the most part trying to follow the 10 in a group rule. I saw some restaurants are doing just take out, some closing, some have staggered booths or setting people in chairs. Many if not all entertainment is being canceled. So right now the beach is about the only place active. Personally ..... it would be a cold day before i flew in a plane with recirculated air. Then you have to ask yourself...... what if. What if the rules change and you cant get home ......or what if someone does come up positive? That to me would be the best reason NOT of go. Right now you have no idea how this might affect you being at home ..... let alone on the road.

They closed Disney World at least to the end of the month. Disney knows what they are doing, if Disney's closed Florida is closed.

I don't think it would be a good idea to go to the crowded touristy areas until more is known about what we are facing.

I just saw in the news this morning Florida isn't closing they're beaches for spring break. Kinda selfish on they're governments part , worried more about revenue than health.

I just saw in the news this morning Florida isn't closing they're beaches for spring break. Kinda selfish on they're governments part , worried more about revenue than health.
Beaches are about one of the few safe outdoor activities where you can keep your distance from others. I see no reason to close beaches.

FishTank - Florida Governor Desantis closed restaurants and bars for 30 days.
https://www.fox29.com/news/florida-...sues-sweeping-changes-for-restaurants-beaches

Restaurants will be take out and delivery only for the 30 days. That's how they'll survive. I imagine UberEats will make a killing during this time.

We would be driving to Florida. Too much stuff to bring, so we Always drive. I like having my own car on vacation too.
One of the other families have already canceled, so it’s not looking good. 😡😡😡. I’m not a happy camper right now.

This picture was taken at Florida last spring break..Not much elbow room let alone keeping 6 feet from eachither.lol.

Attachments

• springbreak-panamacity-600x409.jpg
    springbreak-panamacity-600x409.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 494
Beaches are about one of the few safe outdoor activities where you can keep your distance from others. I see no reason to close beaches.

FishTank - Florida Governor Desantis closed restaurants and bars for 30 days.
https://www.fox29.com/news/florida-...sues-sweeping-changes-for-restaurants-beaches

Restaurants will be take out and delivery only for the 30 days. That's how they'll survive. I imagine UberEats will make a killing during this time.

Actually salt air is a great health benefit. Google why people use salt lamps. This whole thing has a weird feel to it anyway if you research how many people died from the flu. Heck Tom Hanks symptoms describe most of our every day lives over 40:shock:

This picture was taken at Florida last spring break..Not much elbow room let alone keeping 6 feet from eachither.lol.
Spring break where i live in Fl looks nothing like that. I wish it did. And since they installed parking meters everywhere it is even less. i did go bowling yesterday. And it was only me and an older couple in the whole building. My worse concern is the TP hoarders. I got lots of clothes i can cut up luckily. The suit jackets go first since we don't get that cold:lol:

We would be driving to Florida. Too much stuff to bring, so we Always drive. I like having my own car on vacation too.
One of the other families have already canceled, so it’s not looking good. 😡😡😡. I’m not a happy camper right now.

If you go to the Chamber of Commerce site
https://www.annamariaislandchamber.org

and go look at the Upcoming Events it says the Farmers market is closed, the Beach market is closed and all the churches in the area are now online services only.
That island has some nice restaurants, too bad you won't be able to visit them or if you can that 50% and stagger seating rule sounds like fun if they manage to stay open.
The island is seriously closing down and I assume all the cities around it will too, eventually, and for the next several weeks at least.
If you go there all you will be doing is taking on a big hassle and paying a ton of money to get to, and be in, an expensive place that is not your home with little control over...anything, with nothing to do except the beach.
If they close that down you are done.

In this place in this time you were just unlucky, once in a lifetime, (hopefully), events are happening and you got caught up in it...could be worse, you could be stuck in a tiny room in Italy.

Obviously cancel your plans and accept any losses, much better in my mind than dropping a ton of dough on what will sure to be a nightmare vacation.

Last edited:
Guys, be serious about this. It is a time to stay inside and away from contact with anything anyone else has had contact with. The gas pumps you will use, the door handles you touch, anything someone else has touched will be a high risk to you and your family.

Personally, I wouldn’t want to chance getting my family sick from contact with others.
It’s probably best to cancel your travel plans in light of what’s going on. It’s the responsible thing to do.

I live right near there. Many businesses are closing. There is a possibility they will close the beaches. If you want to go and do all meals at your rental and just enjoy being outside a bit in the warmth then certainly the locals need your financial support. Frankly the beaches are so devoid of finds right now I'd stay home and come at another time! I actually went to NJ to isolate so I can get out and dig the dirt and maybe find something! lol

Honestly I would stay home, I know it stinks, but it would be far worse for you to travel all the way there and find everything closed and maybe find yourself being pulled over and tested at every state border.

Things are rapidly changing here on the Gulf coast. Friends that work in the beach hotels say people are cutting their vacation/spring break short and going home, many cancellations being made. Bars & nightclubs closed, restaurants are closing till further notice or only allowed 50% occupancy with no alcohol served after 9pm. Crowds swarm the grocery stores at morning openings.
We have had some tuff times with red tide, cold weather, and now the virus...the change from 10 days ago is noticeable.
DL

Guys, be serious about this. It is a time to stay inside and away from contact with anything anyone else has had contact with. The gas pumps you will use, the door handles you touch, anything someone else has touched will be a high risk to you and your family.

But that is not a possibility if you are not a prepper. You are looking at a minimum of 6 months. All the brick and mortar stores will no longer exist.

Well...we decided. Spring break is officially cancelled. The condo we were going to rent holds 90% of the money in credit for a future stay. I can’t reschedule my time off, so I guess that means a whole week of metal detecting in Michigan. The sour grapes side of me is saying that if we don’t go to Florida on break, neither will anyone else, so there won’t be anything to find on the beaches anyway. I’ll just have to suffer through the quarantine like everyone else.
Thanks for everyone’s input. It helped us decide.

Back
Top Bottom