Wintertime Blues

Haldean

Winter Time Blues

Here I set at my desk contemplating the cold weather and wondering just where I could go and do some metal detecting. The reason I am not out there is that number one I can’t decide where to go and number two it is cold outside and I am nearly 70 years old. Old people don’t like cold weather. In order to overcome this I need a place that is promising enough to be worth getting cold over. Right now I haven’t a clue. I sit in here and read about other peoples finds on the forum and wonder how they brave the cold. Especially when I read a post from someone in Michigan. It reminds me of a time many years ago when I used to hunt all winter long. Even when the ground was too hard to dig. I had a metal detecting partner back then who was just as crazy as I am. If I had a partner to coax me along I would go today. Sometimes being retired is just lonely. Ha ha this article reminds me of a character in a “Louis Lamour” book. This character was a woman and she was alone on her ranch out in the West somewhere. She would write notes about how lonely she was and tie them to a tumbleweed bush on a windy day and let them go. O I am not saying that I am lonely. I have a good wife and some of her children keep us company here too. I’m just sayin’ that for a minute there this note reminded me of her. All I’m sayin’ is that I don’t have a metal detecting partner and if I did he would have to be persuasive enough to get me to go out in the cold. In the meantime I sit in here, read the forums and dream of finding that “double eagle” and cheer on the guys on “Oak Island”. Keep the post coming guys and galls. I read them up pretty quick. I live in Alamance County North Carolina if any one is interested in metal detecting together.

Having a mild winter here in Michigan. But it’s still cold and have a frozen frost line in the ground. I only wish I had your condition and I’m 71 and if I see 50* I try to go.

Doug

Poignant Haldean... I wish I could read the rest of the book.

At 1 Pm today I thought, what the heck, GO detecting!
Two weeks ago I had Urolift surgery and the year before rotator cuff surgery and my OA isn’t getting any better.. I’m going detecting.
So I went.
I found a beautiful beach with an outstanding cut and worked the slope for 3 hours. I hadn’t been able to do that in 2 years. The finds? Coins and trash, which I removed and recycled. My wife would be proud of me.
I will be 70 this June and today made me feel 20 again.
My advice? Get out.. even on your own if you have to. It will invigorate you, give you strength and bring out the young person within.
Good luck!

Haldean,
Being in SE Virginia, I'm too far away to join you. I do agree with you that the last couple days have been chilly and windy. However, I looked at the forecast for Burlington, NC. Right now you should plan to go out Sunday after church and before the football game because it's supposed to be 60 and sunny. Get to a park or a playground or the beach area around a pond or lake. Got a grandkid to take with you to introduce to detecting?

I put on a long sleeve shirt yesterday as the temps were in the 50's and went out for a couple hours. Would have stayed longer but the 20% chance of showers was getting me 100% wet.

A little clad and a sterling ring came home with me.

Yes as we get older, ( I'm 65), the cold seems to be colder.
If you can at least dig the ground, put on a scarf, gloves and a hat, button up your overcoat and go swinging for a bit.
Get to cold go sit in the heated car.
Enjoy life, it sure is flying by!
HH

67 years old and in the water....everyone is different but I hate the cold also, I'm just better prepared and sike about when the hunting window opens.

PAst Monday Chesapeake Bay.......water temp 41...air temps running in the high 30's to low 40's..winds off shore 23 mph...wind chill ..drysuit and gloves , 5mm hood. three hours and loved ever second..

Last edited:
Cold outside:laughing: North Carolina cold is tank top weather! :laughing: Now man up and get out from behind that desk and go get some Treasure! :laughing:

This is unheard of in Michigan during our winters. We have had an extremely mild winter so far and on Christmas Day I actually went detect the again here today 2/3/20 I went out to Lake Michigan beach (Silver Beach) and temperatures were 47* and went detecting for 5 hrs.
I didn’t do well but I Really didn’t care as long as I was detecting.

Doug

Yep winter is tough and everything is relative(unless you live in the DEEP DEEP South, then every-ONE is relative...:lol:). It’s 20 degrees outside right now and won’t rise above 40 degrees here in southern Wisconsin for likely another month. There’s not much to hunt in this area except turf and the only limiting factor is the ability to even dig a hole. There is no “softer ground in the woods” here, that’s not how Wisconsin works. When you tap the ground with the tip of your shovel and the shovel RINGS....not good.
As an auto mechanic at 51 years old I sometimes feel like I’m in my 70’s, or at least what I imagine it could feel like! For some reason it never deters me from detecting, it’s that primal of a drive. Must...go....detecting....now...:lol:
Well...off to the salt mine to wait for warmer weather...

I can surely relate to you guys that are suffering thru the winter time blues. I was going stir crazy and just had to get out to the beach to hunt. I dragged myself out and managed to get a couple of hours of hunting despite the weather. I must be getting soft at my old age but it was so cold at the beach today that I had to wear a long sleeve shirt. I know, I know, it must be hell out there if one has to wear a long sleeve shirt while at the beach in the dead of winter but I did it. Other than that I was able to slog thru it. Don't feel sorry for me, I'm not asking for pitty but it may be another month before I can hunt in shorts and flip flops. To help myself get thru these times I keep reminding myself that spring will be here soon. Just stay tough everybody we can make it thru these blue times.

Attachments

• IMG_3278.jpg
    IMG_3278.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 426
It was a pleasure getting down to the beach today. The sand was flat, not too deep with a nice cut. The usual finds with plenty of trash. It was a good day hunting with Mike.

Haven't been out in about 3 week now, just too dang cold. A couple days ago there was one nice day but had other stuff to get done :/
Hoping to get out next week sometime weather permitting. Ohio blues!:cool:

Yup, old and cold here at times as well and woke up to another 2” snow here in southern mich. this morning (mourning:laughing:)! Governor just put stay home order in place as well! But when it hits the 50s later this week, I’m going dirt-fishing! Glad I have some acres to go along with my achers:laughing:

I'm new here and if you could be so kind to tell me how I would look from forms in my area. Ontario Canada.
Thank you.
Wayne

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom