• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Took the wife today, and did great!

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
My wife and I headed up to Missoula for an afternoon of detecting, allowed under the Montana "shelter in place" directive. Outdoor activity is encouraged, and we did see a lot of folks out walking, cycling, riding scooters and skateboards, and walking their dog.

We drove by a ca 1905 boarded up Victorian large home, with a big dump truck and backhoe out back, no one there, and I've tried a couple of times and hope I get to detect it before it is torn down. Going to plan B, we headed to the large mansion area near the University of Montana.

We got the ok at a very nice ca 1930 home, with a large yard, and a super nice owner. When we "tag team" the coins, I find the target with the AT Pro and cut the plug, then my wife uses the Garrett Carrot to locate the target, lay out a towel to keep the lawn clean, and locate the coin/button/ring etc. Sometimes I will find another coin and start in on my own. I do need to buy her a pinpointer so we can work even more efficiently.

The first target in this yard was a very cool ROY ROGERS DEPUTY sheriff's badge, so I had hopes that this was going to be one of those good yards, and it was. Started finding wheaties, then a spill with a Silver Washington Quarter, WW2 Silver Nickel, and a couple of wheaties. Other highlights of this yard were a CUB SCOUTS Sterling Ring (pulled by my wife) and a Mercury Dime (also pulled out by my wife). The last of the good finds from this yard was a nice fancy Sterling Silver thimble found at the edge of the yard.

We took a break for a very late lunch, and then returned. Permission was received at a 1920's Craftsman style home across the street. The owners were wondering what we were doing in the other yard, and when they found out from us, volunteered their yard to be checked. There were not as many coins in this yard, a few wheaties, then a Merc Dime, and some modern clad.

I checked a small part of the curb strip across the street in front of another home, and found another Silver Washington Quarter (shallow, I thought it might have been a clad quarter) and a 1920's (not sure of exact date) Buffalo Nickel.

Definitely a good afternoon detecting, glad my wife could share in good finds. Totals were 6 Silver coins, Sterling thimble, Sterling BSA ring, Buff Nickel, 12 wheat pennies, and modern clad, thank you for your interest!

Attachments

• coin1.jpg
    coin1.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 464
  • coin3.jpg
    coin3.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 441
  • coin4.jpg
    coin4.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 451
  • coin5.jpg
    coin5.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 446
My wife and I headed up to Missoula for an afternoon of detecting, allowed under the Montana "shelter in place" directive. Outdoor activity is encouraged, and we did see a lot of folks out walking, cycling, riding scooters and skateboards, and walking their dog.

We drove by a ca 1905 boarded up Victorian large home, with a big dump truck and backhoe out back, no one there, and I've tried a couple of times and hope I get to detect it before it is torn down. Going to plan B, we headed to the large mansion area near the University of Montana.

We got the ok at a very nice ca 1930 home, with a large yard, and a super nice owner. When we "tag team" the coins, I find the target with the AT Pro and cut the plug, then my wife uses the Garrett Carrot to locate the target, lay out a towel to keep the lawn clean, and locate the coin/button/ring etc. Sometimes I will find another coin and start in on my own. I do need to buy her a pinpointer so we can work even more efficiently.

The first target in this yard was a very cool ROY ROGERS DEPUTY sheriff's badge, so I had hopes that this was going to be one of those good yards, and it was. Started finding wheaties, then a spill with a Silver Washington Quarter, WW2 Silver Nickel, and a couple of wheaties. Other highlights of this yard were a CUB SCOUTS Sterling Ring (pulled by my wife) and a Mercury Dime (also pulled out by my wife). The last of the good finds from this yard was a nice fancy Sterling Silver thimble found at the edge of the yard.

We took a break for a very late lunch, and then returned. Permission was received at a 1920's Craftsman style home across the street. The owners were wondering what we were doing in the other yard, and when they found out from us, volunteered their yard to be checked. There were not as many coins in this yard, a few wheaties, then a Merc Dime, and some modern clad.

I checked a small part of the curb strip across the street in front of another home, and found another Silver Washington Quarter (shallow, I thought it might have been a clad quarter) and a 1920's (not sure of exact date) Buffalo Nickel.

Definitely a good afternoon detecting, glad my wife could share in good finds. Totals were 6 Silver coins, Sterling thimble, Sterling BSA ring, Buff Nickel, 12 wheat pennies, and modern clad, thank you for your interest!

WOW ! That's a killer hunt LS. great silver score and cool finds, a sterling thimble and a BS ring on the same hunt. A double bucketlister for many. And the badge is a sweet save also. And lets not forget Tatonka, congrats on the Buff.
Its nice to see you spending quality time with the Mrs. Around here everybody is cooped up and trying to keep their sanity and sense of humor.

Good luck and great pics. Mark

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 373
David you have been having some incredible multi-silver hunts as of late!!! You are making me jealous...:lol:.

Now you have me thinking I should take a road trip to Montana and link up with you....We would be socially distant;)

Congrats again!

WOW ! That's a killer hunt LS. great silver score and cool finds, a sterling thimble and a BS ring on the same hunt. A double bucketlister for many. And the badge is a sweet save also. And lets not forget Tatonka, congrats on the Buff. Its nice to see you spending quality time with the Mrs. Around here everybody is cooped up and trying to keep their sanity and sense of humor.

Good luck and great pics. Mark

Thanks Mark! Was glad to get out a bit. Thankfully outdoor activities are encouraged, just no groups of people and keep that 6' distance.

David you have been having some incredible multi-silver hunts as of late!!! You are making me jealous...:lol:.

Now you have me thinking I should take a road trip to Montana and link up with you....We would be socially distant;)

Congrats again!

Thank you Paul. Yep, come on over when this WuhanFlu dies down! I understand that the Puget Sound area is one of the "hot spots" for this. Have you been able to get out and do any of your famous silver producing curb strip hunts?

Thank you Paul. Yep, come on over when this WuhanFlu dies down! I understand that the Puget Sound area is one of the "hot spots" for this. Have you been able to get out and do any of your famous silver producing curb strip hunts?

David, unfortunately I have only been hitting the beaches and a few curbstrips prior to the "shutdown". Since that order went into effect I haven't been out :no:. BUT, we have shown a major slowdown since the order...still a few cases but being ex-military and having a constitution of a horse :yes: I doubt I will ever come down with anything.

I am a short 7 hour drive from you...maybe I can just wrap myself in bubble wrap and hunt the curbstrips and yards with you:laughing:. 7 hours for 5 silvers? Yea, I think it is worth it....:lol:

David, unfortunately I have only been hitting the beaches and a few curbstrips prior to the "shutdown". Since that order went into effect I haven't been out :no:. BUT, we have shown a major slowdown since the order...still a few cases but being ex-military and having a constitution of a horse :yes: I doubt I will ever come down with anything.

I am a short 7 hour drive from you...maybe I can just wrap myself in bubble wrap and hunt the curbstrips and yards with you:laughing:. 7 hours for 5 silvers? Yea, I think it is worth it....:lol:

Hah! According to our governor, you would have to "self quarantine" for 14 days, THEN we could go detecting! :lol: We definitely should do some hunting together soon. I think we have only one case of WuhanFlu here in Ravalli County.

Another deputy badge?! I know those are kids' badges, but so cool to dig! This post has a whole string of bucketlisters in it! The best one is a wife who will detect with you, and bring the luck too! :yes:

Another deputy badge?! I know those are kids' badges, but so cool to dig! This post has a whole string of bucketlisters in it! The best one is a wife who will detect with you, and bring the luck too! :yes:

Thank you Foragist! I think she has gone with me about 20 times in the last few years, pretty much everytime she is helping out we don't fail to bring home at least one shiny coin!

Congrats on another fine hunt LTS!!! I love the thimble!!! Toad and I didn’t get out this morning......I have to get the garden finished before YET MORE RAIN Tuesday. But next week it’s on!

Congrats on another fine hunt LTS!!! I love the thimble!!! Toad and I didn’t get out this morning......I have to get the garden finished before YET MORE RAIN Tuesday. But next week it’s on!

Thanks Lil Worm! That thimble was a cool find! Hope next week is really good to you with some great finds!

Congrats on your great finds ( especially a wife who will detect with you ) .

Thanks Soil Surgeon! Yep, she is a keeper for sure... a cup of fresh coffee and a tasty Five Guys burger and she is good to go!

I suspect having your wife join you is good for permission-obtaining. I feel that having my son with me can be as well. (He also jumps down to use the pin-pointer so it's a big help!)

I suspect having your wife join you is good for permission-obtaining. I feel that having my son with me can be as well. (He also jumps down to use the pin-pointer so it's a big help!)

So true, having a nice woman along can sure help with the permission, and having a helper is a good thing too!

You have been killing it lately and finding some fun stuff. Congrats on the finds and love that thimble and scout ring.

Thank you Jam! Got skunked on the silvers today, I did get a 1889 IHP and some wheaties, but the shiny was nowhere to be found.

Back
Top Bottom