1809 US Half Cent Double Die on Liberty Head

wbindia

View attachment 461762View attachment 461762I was digging yesterday in Virginia where I live and dug my 3rd US half cent -1809 what are the chances of digging the same year. After getting home I realized the face didn’t look right and it appears is a double strike on the Liberty head. I am a relic digger and when we dig a coin it’s a bonus. This is my first error coin so my question to all you coin experts out there-is this common Or is this a rare coin? Thanks

Wayne

Attachments

• 1D573F81-0B86-48CD-A245-2B3EE92FCFFE.jpeg
    1D573F81-0B86-48CD-A245-2B3EE92FCFFE.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
Here is better picture showing the apparent double strike on Liberty Head

Attachments

• 1809  half cent cleaned .jpg
    1809 half cent cleaned .jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Oh wow! I thought the doubling was some patina flaking off initially. You would think the date and stars would be doubled as well though? I'll bet that might be somewhat valuable compared to your average ground found copper, congrats!

Im no coin expert, but it almost looks like there was another one down in the hole with it. After so long they may have imprinted on one and other. Just my .02

Are there even any other known examples of this particular error?? How would someone go about authenticating it? How amaing would it be to be the first to discover this error thanks to our beloved hobby! Congrats again!

Back
Top Bottom