Couple playground/park searches

OZ_IL

Forum Supporter
Tried a school playground Saturday AM. I was going to ht it earlier, but the snows came. Three separate playgrounds but it has been hit, and hit hard by someone. Just $1.40 in change, and some of that was from a few plugs I took from the grass area. Soil was really wet so I didn't search to long on the grass, sledding hill was pure mud and the baseball field was almost like quicksand :( Found my second Chucky Cheese token on the playground, along with two quarters in a small area, my big haul for that place.

Sunday AM hit another school playground I last visited back on November 4th. Not the greatest, less than $1, but did find five quarters in the adjacent park, along with some dimes. In the park I was only discriminating on dimes and quarters. Way too much foil in the grass to try for nickels/rings. I would have had to dig up the entire property!

No long range cold forecast, good for MD'ing crap for ice fishing :mad:

Attachments

• school_playground.jpg
    school_playground.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 103
  • park_playground.jpg
    park_playground.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 102
Couldn't think of a better way to spend a weekend. Good job!

Jason said:
Couldn't think of a better way to spend a weekend. Good job!
........I would have to agree with Jason on that one.
Hey Ozil,
Did you happen to notice Spittfire sticking her tongue out at you?

Had to be more fun than wandering through the malls with the herds of Christmas shoppers.

Hey Oz. I'm in Crestwood. Have ya ever done any detecting north of Saganaski Slough? There is an old foundation there and a front porch - just out there. Lots of pull-tabs and nails too. I keep planning to get out there again, but never get a chance. The porch is north of the central/north slough parking area (the small one with 2 entrances). Across from the east entrance (and maybe 40 feet east of that) across the street you'll see a tiny parking indentation. Park there and take the path north. Thirty feet in or so you'll see a bike path going east and west. Go across that (north) and you'll see flattened reeds. Walk across them and you'll find the path again. You'll go up maybe 20 or 30 feet and find the porch.

Twenty years ago, the area west of the porch was like a grassy lawn. Now it's gone wild again. If you continue north past the porch, you'll climb about 80 feet and find a great open area. Don't know if it's from glacial till or what. Not sure what the porch was connected to. Strange sistern a few feet from it. Can't find any old photo's of the area.

I only got to search the porch and foundation 30 minutes and only found a clad quarter. I'm thinking the western area might have some goodies.

Attachments

• porch.jpg
    porch.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 106
billiard rich said:
Had to be more fun than wandering through the malls with the herds of Christmas shoppers.

Hey Oz. I'm in Crestwood. Have ya ever done any detecting north of Saganaski Slough? There is an old foundation there and a front porch - just out there. Lots of pull-tabs and nails too. I keep planning to get out there again, but never get a chance. The porch is north of the central/north slough parking area (the small one with 2 entrances). Across from the east entrance (and maybe 40 feet east of that) across the street you'll see a tiny parking indentation. Park there and take the path north. Thirty feet in or so you'll see a bike path going east and west. Go across that (north) and you'll see flattened reeds. Walk across them and you'll find the path again. You'll go up maybe 20 or 30 feet and find the porch.

Twenty years ago, the area west of the porch was like a grassy lawn. Now it's gone wild again. If you continue north past the porch, you'll climb about 80 feet and find a great open area. Don't know if it's from glacial till or what. Not sure what the porch was connected to. Strange sistern a few feet from it. Can't find any old photo's of the area.

I only got to search the porch and foundation 30 minutes and only found a clad quarter. I'm thinking the western area might have some goodies.
I don't detect in the CCFP as they have a no digging rule. Guess they don't want you disturbing the weeds :?: I would definitely hit that spot again. I tried a few foundations in Lemont, zero coins :mad:

How's the tot lots out your way? Just hit 1 in Palos Park, very few coins.

There's a tot-lot I can walk to near route 83 & 127th. Went there a week or two ago and found it pad-locked. Since it was 7:30 pm I stayed out and drove out to Orland. There's one a few blocks north of the golf course (east of the shopping mall). Scanned everything and only found 2 zinc pennies and 3 pull tabs. (A very clean lot!)

I prefer the woods. I'm paranoid out in the open. I'm surprised about the no digging rules. Took mom out to many preserves last summer and fall and dug in plain sight of the law. Perhaps they let you dig if you have a grey-haired lady in a wheel-chair with you. :lol:

I've been stomping through the Palos woods for 35 years. I know them well. Lots of interesting places I plan to scan in the future and they're a lot harder to find than that porch.

You'd think the drunk high-school kids would keep the cops busy enough - not to mention the weed plantations. But an easy bust is an easy bust and I guess I'll just have to consider how else to entertain mom next year.

Happy Hunting!

Rich, it is great you can take you mom out on your adventures. My mom (89 years young) asked what I needed for XMAS and when I told her a coil for the Ace, she replied "don't you care what people think of you". I replied there were too many other things to worry about, and she wasn't impressed with my reply so I bought the coil myself :lol:

That no digging rule has been in effect for years, Rob said some of the newer CCFP police are cracking down, but there may be hope. Cross them fingers and perhaps we can take a venture out somewhere, for research purposes only *wink* *wink*.

Nice article. Make believe cops chasing make believe farmers. Didn't arrest anyone, but those arrests are imminent! I've been watching for those arrests - never saw one story about them.

I didn't see any copy on this years harvest. The only coverage was a color picture on the front page of the SouthTown - an undercover DEA agent tossing a bunch of plants on the fire in Pioneer Woods. Guess his undercover days are over.

They can't catch those evil weed farmers, and they've got to arrest someone (otherwise they'll take their cuffs away (and they're so much fun to use on the weekends)), so I guess that leaves us.

Perhaps it's time to switch hobbies. I know lots of places where the soil is a dark rich loam!

Back
Top Bottom