Dec.16th in N. Mich.

hoser

Forum Supporter
Today was the first day I have been able to hunt in a very long time. Its Dec. 16th, and I have NEVER been out hunting this time of the year. I'm usually in the process of repositioning large amounts of snow. :( With the temps in the 40's I got quite the chance to do some hunting. And I must admit I had a pretty good day. Hit the local tot lot and got about a buck seventyfive in clad. As I was hunting, I noticed the old walking trail that is behind the chain link fence by the elem. school. I decided to give it a try, and was glad I did. For a long time I got NO signals. :( As I walked along a very narrow trail that went right through a cedar swamp, I got an ear shattering squeal in the phones right next to a large cedar tree and it read 5". For those of you that have never had the PLEASURE of digging in swamp cedar roots, you ain't missing nuttin. :shock: :lol: I almost gave up on this target as it was terrible to get to. As I got some of the black muck to break free under a large root, I caught the glint of something shiny. Say's to myself, "if this turns out to be a stupid pop can, I'm gonna find some way of cookin this thing for all the grief it has given me ;) But as luck would have it, it was a 1963D Franklin half :shock:(yup, I did the dance). I then decided to go to one of the old national guard camp sites. Good targets were few. Mostly pull tabs, and spent casings. As I was working my way back to the car, I got a good solid signal at about 4". Turns out it was more like 6", and was a sterling silver military ring. :shock: Some would say, "no big deal". But keep in mind this is the middle of December, and I have never had this oppertunity before.

Attachments

• 12-16-06 001a.jpg
    12-16-06 001a.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 118
This is a closeup of the ring. Its pretty heavy, and is in great shape. Thats two pieces of silver for me today, and I am pumped. :shock: The old Zippo lighter is a 007 lighter that has really seen its better days. :lol:

Attachments

• 12-16-06 002a.jpg
    12-16-06 002a.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 96
Thanks all. Angel, the only cleaning I did on that half was to walk ten feet to the river and rinse it off. That black muck just seems to preserve silver coins lost in it. :shock:

Was the dance something like this? :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

Fantastic finds! Huge congrats on all that silver.The ring is sharp and that .50 looks like new. WTG.

Glad you were able to get out Hoser and congratulations on the great finds.
That is a nice looking ring. :yes:

Any silver day is a big deal to me good to hear you were able to get out this time of year Hoser now ................Can I Have It? 8)...........................

Very, very Nice Hoser! I just got back from Nevada only to fall prey to the Norwalk Virus. For those of you who have never had it, Thank your lucky stars. :( :(

Great finds hoser. I never made it out today. Glad you found some good stuff.

Great job Hoser. I'm glad you didn't give up on the hole. I like that ring. Can Rusty have it?

WTG Bill !!!! We are also having some great weather.............but this is also the holiday prep time around here so no huntin !!!! :( I think last year we had warm weather as well around this time. I found my 1900 Barber quarter last year on Dec. 10th.

AWESOME stuff Hoser!! That Franklin is in great shape, and the ring is incredible! It's got a little age to it too, as the Army's 32 "Red Arrow" Infantry Division was disbanded in 1967. The arrow on the ring was the division insignia. I'm sure you've already looked it up, but if not, here's some cool links on the units history:

http://www.32nd-division.org/history/ww2/32ww2-1.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._32nd_Infantry_Division

Great job on those finds - That should teach you to get out and hunt, winter or not!! HH!

Congrats on the silver hoser! Do you guys have much frost yet? Here it is rough digging.

Thanks all. It sure has been fun for the last few days. :D I just can't believe I have been able to hunt like this in Dec. I went back out today to the guard camp, and found a 1920 Merc, and a 43 wheatie along with a few pieces of clad. Being as this is my seven days off, I'm gonna take full advantage of it for as long as I can ;). Sure hope the rest of you are gettin out and making some great finds.

hoser said:
Thanks all. It sure has been fun for the last few days. :D I just can't believe I have been able to hunt like this in Dec. I went back out today to the guard camp, and found a 1920 Merc, and a 43 wheatie along with a few pieces of clad. Being as this is my seven days off, I'm gonna take full advantage of it for as long as I can ;). Sure hope the rest of you are gettin out and making some great finds.
................I'm trying Hoser, but I can't seem to find a way to get you guys and gals to give me any of your finds!!! What's with that? :?: :lol: :lol:

Hey TK, thanks so very much for the info. I tried looking it up, but kinda came up short. You just gave me all the info I needed. Too bad the ring didn't have a name or any way of returning it to its rightful owner. I sure would have loved to do that. Especially this time of the year. ;) :yes:

Back
Top Bottom