In desperate need of help

Lost everything

I am in big trouble, i lost my wedding ring!!

last weekend I went into a remote part of the garden to clear up lots of leaves, old pine needles and debris. I also removed some old sampling roots by digging down in the soil and either cutting out the root and replacing the soil. After 14 35 gallon bags filled with leaves and pine needle, I put on left glove only to discover my thin platinum wedding ring was missing.

A neighbour leant me Garrett security metal detector (those hand held ones you see at airports) and I did a sweep in the garden on my hands and knees, plus I emptied all 14 bags of leaves and did on sweep on them too. Nothing turned up.

Today I hired a Garrett Ace 250 and did another sweep on the garden plus the bags of leaves, nothing turned up.

I used a wife's matching wedding ring to identify which setting on the ace 250 picked up the platinum and excluded the rest.

Folks I need your help, is there a better metal detector that could help me, or or there any professional services that could help me. I live in Charlotte, north carolina and at my wits end.

Any help in pointing me in the right direction or helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Try lostmystuff.com. You might also post in the Lost and Found thread on this forum. If you post your area there might be a member who could help you. If you still have the 250 you might try to search in all metal mode. You will find lots of junk no doubt but it should increase your chances of finding the ring.

Do you have alot of experience using metal detectors. The ace should have no problem finding it, in the hands of someone familiar with that detector. Hopefully someone experienced and close to you will reply and help you find your ring. Like Buried said, are you positive it was on your finger when you put the glove on? If you are then it's gotta be there somewhere. Good luck in your search.

I did a sweep first of all using the jewelry mode, by picked up loads of other stuff, like aluminium foil, nails, rings pulls, etc, etc. our wedding rings were bought from the same store, so I thought if I knew what set her off,that would probably set mine off too (it's set to the 5c indicator). I can not guarantee it was on my finger when I started, but I have never taken my wedding ring off once since I have been married (2006) and noticed it felt different when I put the thick glove on. Plus it was a cold morning, and that glove catches me where my wedding ring sits, so I came to the conclusion that it must of come off when taking my gloves off to dig up a sapping root.

It could be in under the ground where I have been diigging up the roots, but the ace only seems to pick my wife's ring up if I am less than 4 inches above.

I have hired the ace 250 for a week and will spend all weekend in the garden. Any other tips that I should consider as this is all very new to me.

Thanks, scott

I can not guarantee it was on my finger when I started, but I have never taken my wedding ring off once since I have been married (2006) and noticed it felt different when I put the thick glove on. Plus it was a cold morning, and that glove catches me where my wedding ring sits, so I came to the conclusion that it must of come off when taking my gloves off to dig up a sapping root.

When is the last time you remember the ring on your finger?

I think it was couple days before, and I hadn't been out of the house really. I went though this step by step and traced all my steps, but nothing. If it isn't in the garden, then I'm up the creek without a paddle.

It there any advice on setting up the Ace250, sensitivity, setting for platinum, how deep in the ground can it find knowing that any more than 4 inches away from my wife's ring and it doesn't sound, plus all the tones seem to be the same.

A guys ring tends to be bigger than a womans and might read a bit higher. I would work nickel on up.

When I've been asked to hunt for recently lost rings, I experiment a bit and will shorten my rod 2 or 3 notches or more. I also reduce sensitivity to minimal. The idea is that you are trying to get the ring and may 1.5 inches into the soil. Anything deeper is unwanted and unneeded.

When I drop to my knees and search, I have the benefit of a pinpointer which really speeds me a long. If I did not have one, I would probably use a screw driver and I would sort of scrub the soil with it, listening for contact. Without the pin pointer, you are pretty much forced to recover the target.

EDIT: BTW, the last two I recovered had both been stepped on and driven into the earth a little bit. That is why you have to score the soil a bit with the screw driver.

Good luck in your search!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom