Old Canadian Half Penny

angellionel

Elite Member
There were about two hours of daylight left after leaving work this afternoon, so I grabbed my gear and headed to a new site by the river. There weren't many targets, but I did manage to pick up some interesting items and a few old coins, though most are in poor shape. The best one is a 1944-P war year nickel. The buffalo nickel is dateless. Another coin appears to be a ?fatty? IH, but is badly corroded.

It was dark by the time I decided to leave, but just before doing so I dug up what I though was a large cent. I couldn't tell for sure though, without any light, so I just wrapped it in tissue and placed it in my pouch. Once at home I was able to see that what I found is an 1837 Canadian Half Penny Token. A nice find, though I wish such coins held up better than they do.

1837 Canadian Half Penny Token.
canadian_half_cent_token_1837.jpg

1944 silver war year nickel.
nickel_122106A.jpg

Dateless buffalo nickel.
nickel_122106I.jpg

1940 nickel.
nickel_122106K.jpg

Fatty IH?
coins_122106.jpg

No clue.
no_clue_122106.jpg

Not gold, but it glitters.
finds_122106A.jpg

Angel, you should be very happy with those finds, that 1/2 penny I thought was in good nick. Well done :wow:

Nice group of finds! You don't hear about too many people finding Canadian half pennies. Looks like it is in pretty good shape to me.

Thanks everyone. :)

SteveMN said:
Nice group of finds! You don't hear about too many people finding Canadian half pennies. Looks like it is in pretty good shape to me.

It was a surprise to me too. I was sure I had a large cent, and was even hoping it was a colonial coin. I'm going to try and clean it up a bit, removing the caked-in soil. The site I worked goes back to the early 1800's. I'm hoping to have time to work it again this weekend.

Sounds like a great site. It wouldn't happen to be near a river or lake would it? I am a believer in hunting these areas. :yes:

Nice finds. Be sure to check that 1940 nickel for the double-die error.

Back
Top Bottom