Please Don't Rub!

iu

I guess I'm kinda lucky here as the soil makeup is such that the dirt falls off the coin without rubbing it and I'll say 90% of the time the coin comes out of the ground like it was just dropped. Anything else I'll wait till I get home and run it under the faucet. Good story Tom.

Same here.

I guess everyone does it differently. If I can tell it's an 1800's silver coin, or an early 1900's shilling or florin I'll use the water. If not, I'll give it a rub, but only enough to give a date.

But I know some people who chuck all their finds (rubbish, modern coins, silver etc) into one pouch, and then sort it all out when they get home. So I don't know what's worse, rubbing a coin or storing it in a pouch full of canslaw and other sharp junk.

" it's my silver and i'll rub if I want to, ruub if I want to, you would rub to if it happened to you" :laughing:

Sorry, that's been stuck in my head since I saw this thread yesterday, had to do it. The youngsters won't get it. :laughing:

Seriously, I find many coins in fields that have been used since the 1600s and anything could be there. I try to "pick" enough dirt off to see what it is but if a silver coin is too caked I wrap it up until I get home. The 2 reale I found last week is a good example, I did not realize what I found until I got home. If I know it is a Washington or a rosie, I will rub. Many of the coins from the fields are damaged already. I found a seated dime last week that had been hit by the disc on the drill that seeded the winter wheat. I once posted a barber half that had been pummeled by stones in the field for a hundred years and was flamed by a certain "candy" named member for abusing relics so I am not so fond of the "rub" police. You can show me a "rubbed" seated dime and I will give you congrats on a beautiful coin anyway. I am not looking to sell anything, the fun here is the moment of discovery when you think "wow, that's old"

Merry Christmas!!

Thanks for the suggestion, but I spit on and rub the dirt off of every coin and relic I find. I have no expectation of finding anything valuable enough to change my financial life , and no, I am not wealthy by any stretch imaginable.
The excitement of finding something old and interesting is the whole reason I am out there. A couple of scratches across the face of a dug coin will not diminish its value to me. I have never sold anything I've found metal detecting and I don't plan to start anytime soon. You see, if I do sell something, I won't have it any more. I may have a few extra dollars in my pocket as a result, but those will also be gone before too long and I will end up with nothing for my efforts. But I will always be able look at the cool things I've dug, wonder about their history, and relive the dig. Happy Hunting everyone!!

" it's my silver and i'll rub if I want to, ruub if I want to, you would rub to if it happened to you" :laughing:

Sorry, that's been stuck in my head since I saw this thread yesterday, had to do it. The youngsters won't get it. :laughing:

Seriously, I find many coins in fields that have been used since the 1600s and anything could be there. I try to "pick" enough dirt off to see what it is but if a silver coin is too caked I wrap it up until I get home. The 2 reale I found last week is a good example, I did not realize what I found until I got home. If I know it is a Washington or a rosie, I will rub. Many of the coins from the fields are damaged already. I found a seated dime last week that had been hit by the disc on the drill that seeded the winter wheat. I once posted a barber half that had been pummeled by stones in the field for a hundred years and was flamed by a certain "candy" named member for abusing relics so I am not so fond of the "rub" police. You can show me a "rubbed" seated dime and I will give you congrats on a beautiful coin anyway. I am not looking to sell anything, the fun here is the moment of discovery when you think "wow, that's old"

Merry Christmas!!

Lol! :lol: I got a good chuckle outta that, I'm not that old :shock: but that was my mom's favorite song.
Now I got one stuck in my head,
"The rub police they come to me in my head, The rub police are comi'n to arrest me.... oh no!" :laughing:

Merry Christmas!

Lol! :lol: I got a good chuckle outta that, I'm not that old :shock: but that was my mom's favorite song.
"The rub police they come to me in my head, The rub police are comi'n to arrest me.... oh no!" :laughing:

Merry Christmas!

That was a Cheap Trick. :D

Merry Christmas!

Yeah, I'm rubbin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Workin' on a mystery, goin' wherever it leads
Rubbin' down a dream

Tom Petty RIP

For me, I'll keep rubbin' down those dreams.

If it looks like it might be a wheatie, silver or any other old coin, I dont rub.

I carry water (in my vehicle) and have a small plastic container I soak then in.

Merry Christmas!

I'm not that old either, 3 years older than you.

Rub police :lol::lol::laughing::laughing:

That was a Cheap Trick. :D

:lol::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

On another note: the quote notification does not seem to be working??

Back
Top Bottom