Coin Shortage (again?)

GLASSHOPPER1955

Elite Member
Hey everyone.

My WallyMart has started that "coin shortage" nonsense up again like last summer. Only cards usable, which I don't do.

They do have ONE cash aisle but it always has 20+ people in line extending way out into the main thruway. No other stores in my area are doing this.

How about you all? Anyone else seeing this?

I know the Kroger over my way takes cash but puts the change onto your Kroger plus card as a credit and takes off on your next purchase.

Hey everyone.

My WallyMart has started that "coin shortage" nonsense up again like last summer. Only cards usable, which I don't do.

They do have ONE cash aisle but it always has 20+ people in line extending way out into the main thruway. No other stores in my area are doing this.

How about you all? Anyone else seeing this?

I haven't seen this in the San Francisco Bay Area as of yet in the places I shop but I don't shop at Wally Mart so I don't know if they are doing that here .

I know the Kroger over my way takes cash but puts the change onto your Kroger plus card as a credit and takes off on your next purchase.

Smart thinking by Kroger !

Some stores must still be having coin issues. My local Job Lot store gives you a 40% bonus if you give them rolled coins. For example, if you give them $100 in coins, they give you $100 gift card and a $40 "crazy card". The only rule is you have to wait a day to spend the crazy card gift card. Great deal if you buy stuff there on a regular basis.

Retailers want coins around here too. But most will accept all forms of payment and give change in all forms, as well.

Usually use credit cards to pay anyways (for the rewards). Using cash is like giving away free money...

I haven't experienced that lately but today at my local Walmart I went to check the coinstar machine some one had set up a table completely blocking it with a jug on the table looking for donations for what I did not even bother to read. I will almost always give a donation to a good cause but I found this a bit irritating. So I slid the table out of the way to check the reject tray and got some real stink eye from the closest cashier. So I did the hand and head !!! gesture. By the time I checked out the table had been moved. Mark

.....Usually use credit cards to pay anyways (for the rewards). Using cash is like giving away free money...
Me too. I pay for everything including utilities, car and home insurance etc then pay it off in full every month.

The Lowe's by my house has a big sign mentioning the coin shortage and if we could "kindly pay by credit/debit card or use exact change". Maybe it's time for me to cash in all my clad to help alleviate the situation!

Not seeing it. I pay cash every day, I get old coins back each year in change. I’d use CC’s daily but how boring and generic.

The Lowe's by my house has a big sign mentioning the coin shortage and if we could "kindly pay by credit/debit card or use exact change". Maybe it's time for me to cash in all my clad to help alleviate the situation!

Define "exact change." If that means I have to personally dole out something like $21 in exact coinage, count it right there, for a case of beer,,,TO HECK with that! If they will count my coins for me, I have nearly 90 lbs and can carry in one of my jars. Whatever is easy for me, I'm special ;-) I really don't believe there is an actual coin shortage, or else my credit union wouldn't make me roll coins and then charge me 5% fee.

Define "exact change." If that means I have to personally dole out something like $21 in exact coinage, count it right there, for a case of beer,,,TO HECK with that! If they will count my coins for me, I have nearly 90 lbs and can carry in one of my jars. Whatever is easy for me, I'm special ;-) I really don't believe there is an actual coin shortage, or else my credit union wouldn't make me roll coins and then charge me 5% fee.

That blows. My Credit union deposits mine no matter how many at no cost.

Stetam

I really don't believe there is an actual coin shortage, or else my credit union wouldn't make me roll coins and then charge me 5% fee.

My credit union uses a coin counting machine with no fee. During last year's "coin shortage" the branch manager of my credit union told me they always had an ample supply of coins for both their regular and business customers.

Some stores must still be having coin issues. My local Job Lot store gives you a 40% bonus if you give them rolled coins. For example, if you give them $100 in coins, they give you $100 gift card and a $40 "crazy card". The only rule is you have to wait a day to spend the crazy card gift card. Great deal if you buy stuff there on a regular basis.

Ocean state job lot Is a great store, wonder if they do the same in MA. I've got more than enough coins to roll :yes:

My credit union uses a coin counting machine with no fee. During last year's "coin shortage" the branch manager of my credit union told me they always had an ample supply of coins for both their regular and business customers.

Yep. Was told the exact same thing. Surprises me a lil paper sign with words written on it can control so many people. If one does buy it though, they got you right where they want you.

Yep. Was told the exact same thing. Surprises me a lil paper sign with words written on it can control so many people. If one does buy it though, they got you right where they want you.

We certainly found out how a small sign can control people when those covid signs on the floor of the supermarket told people to only walk in a certain direction and the "robots" followed orders.

My wife works at a local grocery store. The store put a sign on the coinstar machine saying that all coins should be turned in at the courtesy booth. can you imagine the clerk counting out my 10 pounds of pennies? Or the $150 in clad every month? NADA.

Whatever.......

Funny how my post get deleted under the guise of "conspiracy theory", yet it was 100% factual. I didn't mention politics in any way. Free speech doesn't exist even though what I said about my cousin working at the hospital in New Orleans was accurate. Darn shame.

Back
Top Bottom