• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Sorry Brad, Green Mountain MD

markinswpa

Forum Supporter
Recently I just commented, I thought that Green Mountain Metal Detecting was one of the classiest well produced metal detecting videos on YouTube.

This evening I'm watching his latest one in not too far in he starts to pimp for the detector brand he is using. I shut it off and it will the last view he gets from me. I guess just another sell out for some free gear. It really cheapened my opinion of him. The closest I get to social media is this forum and I know he is a member so I hope he gets the message. Gets the message. How sad. Mark

I haven't had much time to watch Md'iing videos, but I understand the "marketing" thing.

Those people with that small "verified" checkmark (on Twitter, Instagram, etc, but I don't use any, FYI) are basically the same.

Depends on how "hard" the "pimping" is. If he goes a solid five minutes saying "use code GREEN MOUNTAIN to get 15% off XYZ brand", that is very much understood, and I would shut it off too.

Josh

Heck, I've been a Minelab Excalibur Pimp every since I started hunting the water 14 years ago... :laughing: I'm still waiting for something to come in the mail! ..Very disappointed. :(:no:

The worst is when someone says they're not biased, not being paid, etc. and they really are, just indirectly.

Just b/c Acme, Inc. didn't pay you to make a video about The Widget (or didn't get to veto the video, etc.), doesn't mean you're not biased in favor of Acme, Inc.

Heck, I've been a Minelab Excalibur Pimp every since I started hunting the water 14 years ago... :laughing: I'm still waiting for something to come in the mail! ..Very disappointed. :(:no:

You are a AQ pimp now :laughing:

I like Brad at Green Mountain and will continue to watch him... most do this these days....

It’s still classy and well produced. Fast forward through the sale, problem solved

You are a AQ pimp now :laughing:

Not yet, still waiting on my Hat and T- shirt.. :lol:

Getting petty bad when you have to make your own Hat.., they did send the sticker..:shock:

Attachments

• 20210727_221105.jpg
    20210727_221105.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 674
It’s still classy and well produced. Fast forward through the sale, problem solved

Not that easy. Slapping a two minute infomercial in every video ruins the feel of them. Too bad he felt the need to make a buck off of his videos instead of just doing it for the love of the hobby...

Not yet, still waiting on my Hat and T- shirt.. :lol:

Getting petty bad when you have to make your own Hat.., they did send the sticker..:shock:
You could be waiting a long time. I can see it now : " Due to the fact that your tenure on the AQ production team has only been 4 years and we have suffered some unexpected delays , you're only eligible for free stickers until we are in full production and meet our sales goals. Until then , we invite you to take advantage of the employee discount of 20% on hats & shirts , while supplies last. Remember , there is no warranty on these items."

I like Brad at Green Mountain and will continue to watch him... most do this these days.

Same here. I enjoy his videos and it’s not like he’s forcing anyone to buy anything. Heck, some folks might actually be in the market and appreciate the discount codes. If he can make a few bucks or get some free gear, then more power to him! His channel has provided plenty of good (free!) entertainment for me and many others for a long time, so I don’t have any problem whatsoever with him being rewarded for all his work. Besides, it’s not that difficult to fast forward if ya find it annoying…. but that’s just my take on it. To each his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could be waiting a long time. I can see it now : " Due to the fact that your tenure on the AQ production team has only been 4 years and we have suffered some unexpected delays , you're only eligible for free stickers until we are in full production and meet our sales goals. Until then , we invite you to take advantage of the employee discount of 20% on hats & shirts , while supplies last. Remember , there is no warranty on these items."

:laughing:

Only you Mr KOB!!

Fisher >> Is that a nut company?

I know what you guys mean, most detecting videos try to sell you something, it isnt enough that were forced to watch ads thruout the videos. Relic rangers now uses his videos to promote his bug exterminating business, so I stopped watching. I still watch Terra Germania, he detects Germany, finds ancient Roman empire relics & coins without trying to sell you something, WTG Hans.

Recently I just commented, I thought that Green Mountain Metal Detecting was one of the classiest well produced metal detecting videos on YouTube.

This evening I'm watching his latest one in not too far in he starts to pimp for the detector brand he is using. I shut it off and it will the last view he gets from me. I guess just another sell out for some free gear. It really cheapened my opinion of him. The closest I get to social media is this forum and I know he is a member so I hope he gets the message. Gets the message. How sad. Mark

The man spends countless hours making these videos.....should he not be rewarded for all his hard work? Or should he continue to struggle because of your view of the world. But in the end it is each persons decision on what to support. I just think maybe you are being a bit harsh without putting yourself in his shoes.

No Opinion

The man spends countless hours making these videos.....should he not be rewarded for all his hard work? Or should he continue to struggle because of your view of the world. But in the end it is each persons decision on what to support. I just think maybe you are being a bit harsh without putting yourself in his shoes.

Well, you can please some people, some of the time, but not all the people, all of the time. I understand how markinswpa feels, and agree. But, in defense of Green Mountain, making those videos is work, and, at some point, the fun of metal detecting may be overwhelmed by the work of making videos. So, if Brad feels he wants to be rewarded for his hard work, so be it.
HH everyone

The ones that get an instant delete from me, groups or forums, is when the person starts begging for their viewers to join patreon.

A bit harsh, no I think not. Perhaps in the beginning if he said folks let me take a minute to talk about the equipment I'm using today or stay tuned at the end of my video for some really good deals. Nooo, in the middle or well enough into it he's got your attention, He stops the mojo, what makes his videos so interesting and starts an infomercial. Plain and simple thats pimping. So its no longer about entertainment and love of the hobby, its about money. AND IF YOU HAVEN'T NOTICED love of money is what is sinking this once great nation. Quality has given way to profit. His original platform was about metal detecting, not selling a brand so in my my mind that is a sell out for the almighty $. I agree to each his own so I'm sure he won't lose sleep over my opinion but I'm sure there are many other like minded individuals out there. My 2 cents. Mark

A bit harsh, no I think not. Perhaps in the beginning if he said folks let me take a minute to talk about the equipment I'm using today or stay tuned at the end of my video for some really good deals. Nooo, in the middle or well enough into it he's got your attention, He stops the mojo, what makes his videos so interesting and starts an infomercial. Plain and simple thats pimping. So its no longer about entertainment and love of the hobby, its about money. AND IF YOU HAVEN'T NOTICED love of money is what is sinking this once great nation. Quality has given way to profit. His original platform was about metal detecting, not selling a brand so in my my mind that is a sell out for the almighty $. I agree to each his own so I'm sure he won't lose sleep over my opinion but I'm sure there are many other like minded individuals out there. My 2 cents. Mark

Im pretty sure he has been getting paid by YT all along. Hes got 90k subscribers which generates to millions of views which is why his videos have ads. YT sells ad space and in turn kicks down $$ to the content creator. I think he also writes and produces the music and the artwork for his channel.

I dont see a difference between getting paid based on the number views, or getting paid by a sponsor to promote gear he already uses. His content is awesome. Hes had that particular detector for a while now, and if they want to sponsor his channel, i say good for him. I will keep watching...

Last edited:
It comes down to this, are you willing to pay a fair price for a product? I'm sick of people thinking they should get everything for free. It's one thing if it's just some knucklehead that is posting for fun, but if you're putting real time and effort into producing a beneficial and entertaining piece for the public, there should be no problem being rewarded for it.

But then I don't like welfare either.

JMO

Im pretty sure he has been getting paid by YT all along. Hes got 90k subscribers which generates to millions of views which is why his videos have ads. YT sells ad space and in turn kicks down $$ to the content creator. I think he also writes and produces the music and the artwork for his channel.

I dont see a difference between getting paid based on the number views, or getting paid by a sponsor to promote gear he already uses. His content is awesome. Hes had that particular detector for a while now, and if they want to sponsor his channel, i say good for him. I will keep watching...

I don't either, but apparently some people do.

For me, I'm fine with people trying to monetize their YouTube channel, whether it's with ads or in-video shills. I just want the person to be honest about their sales tactics, that's all.

It's the subtle situations that bother me a bit. You know, the videos where Acme, Inc. didn't pay the video creator any money to make the video or use the Acme, Inc. branded metal detector. But Acme, Inc. uses the person's likeness in their marketing materials, sends them test units, invites them to events and so on.

And to be clear, I don't even have a big problem with YouTubers who engage in this subtle form of marketing. It's when they use this subtle marketing, but then EXPLICITLY CLAIM "they're not getting paid, blah blah blah." Sure, that might technically be true, but there are other ways to reward a YouTuber other than sending them a check to shill your product in a video. So to make that specific claim, they're being VERY misleading in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom