• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Trying to ID Axe Head

MMJensen

Found a Double Bit Axe Head (I think that's what it's called) in Door County Wisconsin, just off the beach in a wooded area, 15" deep.
Trying to figure out approximate age and Axe Type (or who typically used it in the past).
I appreciate any help that I can get.

Axe.shoe.jpg

axe3.jpg

Axe1.jpg

axe4.jpg

I have found dozens of this style in lumbering areas from the 1880's to early 1900's. They are so common, that I leave them in the woods any more.

agree a kindling hatchet. two edges in case one gets dull, but then cant hammer with back head drawback. i too find a lot of them, many that are busted also. do some electrolysis and see if a makers mark shows up in middle. heck just clean it up and put a handle on it and use it! i have several old ones usable.

I do believe MMJenson was correct in calling it a double bit axe head. Axes have 2 cutting edges, hatches only have one cutting edge.

QUOTE: Axes have 2 cutting edges, hatches only have one cutting edge.

Not necessarily true, When I was a kid we had hatchets with double blades that we used for kindling, camping, meat processing and such. Later years there was the nick name of "hand ax" Then there was the full length double bladed ax use to process lumber, firewood, fence posts. bridge timbers, log cabins and such. There used to be contests where the loggers would get together and set up a sawed off tree and use it as a target for a throwing hand ax throwing contest. They also had throwing contests with the full sized axes. I was raised in timber country and am well over the years to have been present for those outings. Have a good day sir.

QUOTE: Axes have 2 cutting edges, hatches only have one cutting edge.

Not necessarily true, When I was a kid we had hatchets with double blades that we used for kindling, camping, meat processing and such. Later years there was the nick name of "hand ax" Then there was the full length double bladed ax use to process lumber, firewood, fence posts. bridge timbers, log cabins and such. There used to be contests where the loggers would get together and set up a sawed off tree and use it as a target for a throwing hand ax throwing contest. They also had throwing contests with the full sized axes. I was raised in timber country and am well over the years to have been present for those outings. Have a good day sir.

And a good evening to you-it's almost night time here- Yes some hatchets have 2 heads, wasn't thinking of some other types. The only hatchets I dig around here have one head. The OP picture is of a double bit axe. A good night to you sir!!

Cleaned it up... Can anyone offer more intel?

Double Bit Axe Head found in Door County Wisconsin, 50 yards from the water of Lake Michigan, in a small wooded area, just before the beach.

Found this about 15" deep and finally cleaned it up.

Looking to identify it and I can't seem to find any Marker's Mark.

Any idea where I should really examine to find the Maker's Mark?

Attachments

• Cleaned Axe.jpg
    Cleaned Axe.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 302
Back
Top Bottom